Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  James Seahill 
#1 ·
Has anyone with a gas (1.7) rabbit engine tried putting the standard diesel exhaust manifold on instead of the 4 into 2 that is common to the gas engines? This would mean using the spring connected downpipe and the 4 into one exhaust manifold that is common to the diesels. The four into one and spring clamp down pipe is a much cheaper replacement than the 2 into 1 downpipe if it can be done. Does the 4 into one exhaust manifold and the clamped downpipe position itself the same as the original for installing the rest of the exhaust system?

#2 ·
That was done on Base line Cabbies up to 89 that I know of, as I had that on my 89 Cabby.
The "toilet bowel" manifold is heavier duty and not prone to cracking as the 90 single down was, I know I have had 3 and they all cracked.

Now you can go to a Raceland or Pacesetter header, that is cost effective, and eliminates the cat for the emissions free states.
Or you can go with the dual down, which I bought from tt tuning as it was really pricey, but oh the feel of the free engine.
I placed a PaceSetter header on my 90, and it worked well, I had to bend it to fit a tad, and if I honked it, sometimes it would rattle on my sway bar.

I also have a Raceland header that is waiting for my cars to reach that "magic' time where they are emission free. :).......

If you go with the Diesel you will have to have a o2 bung welded to it to accommodate your o2 sensor, but they usually only charge about 20 bucks to do it.

#3 ·
Thanks for your input, Brian. I have an '81 pickup that will need an engine change before too long, and it's hard to find the two into one down pipes anymore, priced reasonably or not. They also bolt on with 6 bolts to the exhaust manifold and the studs have a tendency to break off. I'm not sure the condition of my truck would justify putting a different header on (price wise) and I have a spare exhaust manifold and downpipe from diesel vehicles of that era. Fortunately, my truck originated in California and didn't require an oxygen sensor. It has no computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.