VW Rabbit Forum " Resetting Service Interval Light" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Resetting Service Interval Light

  1. #1
    Junior Member H20loo is a jewel in the rough H20loo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Resetting Service Interval Light

    I just found Flopsys instructions on resetting the Light.

    I found out how to reset the service light at the dealership today. With the doors closed put the key in the ignition. Hold down the trip odometer reset button. Turn the key to the on position. You will see the service indicator light (wrench). Press the minute adjustment button. Release the trip odometer reset button. This should reset the service indicator for 5K miles according to the tech at the dealership



    This should be Stickied as I spent over an hour searching for it. All do it yourselfers need this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    12,616
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 343 Times in 333 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Good info. Also works on gti's, gli's, jettas, and passats.

    2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

  4. #3
    VIP MEMBER
    desolaros3 is a jewel in the rough desolaros3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    jersey/PA
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    yeah i had to do that on my car. i looked in the manual it was there.

    i called my stealership and they were really mean and wouldn't help b.c i didn't go there and pay a million dollars for their oil change.

    good they helped you. lucky.
    2007::red rabbit::2 dr:: 2.5::auto:: painted emblems::smoked turn signals:em Fin antenna::
    (\__/)
    (o.o )
    (> < )

    =-KiMbEr-=

  5. #4
    Senior Member LarryZ is a jewel in the rough LarryZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    284
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Learn the procedure

    If your dealer is like mine, they won't reset your maintenance reminder when you go in for the oil change/service anyway...

  6. #5
    Member SIK TL is a jewel in the rough SIK TL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Good info, does it work for all service indicators (10,000 and up)?

  7. #6
    I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    12,616
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 343 Times in 333 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    You need the dealer to change it to 10k mile service intervals first, then it will work after that.

    Remember, 10k mile service invervals means doing oil changes every 5k miles.

    2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

  8. #7
    Guru Member rangerbrown is a jewel in the rough rangerbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Groton CT
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    its in the owners manual

    bold print and easy to see in the maintenance section

  9. #8
    Member ManRabbit is a jewel in the rough ManRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Mb
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Unhappy

    ** just to set the stage for this post, I'm in Canada and our service indicator intervals are set for 8000 kms, with reminders starting at 1200 kms prior to the next 8000 km service interval. there's some math required in this post, so pour yourself a drink and grab your calculator **

    So I went for my first service a while ago when I just turned over 5000 kms. I've got 6800 kms now. My manual lists the service intervals in increments of 8000 kms. So why did I go when I did ?

    I received a letter from my salesman about 2 weeks after I drove it off the lot. It was a lovely letter...LOL...thanking me for my purchase and if there was anything he could do to assist....bla bla...lovey dovey stuff.

    Anyway...in his letter, he went on to give me the service departments contact info, and that I should have my first service done at 5000 kms. Cool....nice, and i filed the letter. As time went on, I mulled over the discrepancy between the 8000 km interval (from the manual) and the 5000 km first service (from the letter). And after a little internal debate, I decided to go at 5000 kms as per the letter.

    After I got my car back and left the dealer, I got to thinking about the service indicator and wondered if they had reset it. I now know that they didn't, because I just started getting the service reminder wrench. I guess the reminders are set on our cars to start "reminding us" at 1200 to the next serivce. No big deal I thought....but....wait a second...

    Once I hit 8000 kms, I believe the reminders start getting more agressive, and the wrench will stay on for a longer period of time and I'll get chimes.....bugging me to go for service..LOL And I won't need to!! So basically, my first 5k service (and now subsequent services) has caused my Rabbit's actual next services to be out of sync with the service reminder.

    Service reminder = 8000 kms
    Actual services perfomed = #1 @5000, #2 is scheduled at 13000, according to the oil reminder sticker the service guy put on my windsheild and in-line with VWs recommendation to change oil every 8000 kms.

    WTF do I do ?
    1. Do I reset the interval now ? No...I can't do that cuz I want the reminders to be realistic and match the manual.

    2. Do I change oil / filter at 8000 kms and reset the interval then. No...cuz I think that would be a waste of money.

    3. Do I reset the indicator when I hit 8000 kms, do nothing, and wait until 16,000 kms for my next real service? Possibly, but I'm a little uncomfortable doing that cuz that will be 11,000 kms (approx 6100 miles) between oil changes.

    95% of my driving is city BTW.

    I should have gone with what the manual said and not what the freakin' salesman's letter told me.

    Anyone have a better option than #3, cuz thats the way I'm leaning. Thx

    PS For my fellow Canadian new Rabbit owners who have not hit their first service yet....stick with what the manual suggests and ignore any salesman letter telling you differently !! I should have been so smart.
    ManRabbit

    '08 Candy White Rabbit
    4 dr, 6sp Auto, Moonroof,
    35f / 50r Tints

  10. #9
    I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    12,616
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 343 Times in 333 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    WE are talking about 5000 MILE service, not Kilometer service. So if you do a service before 5000 MILES it will chime AT 5000 miles letting you know. The warning comes on 600 miles before hand and counts down.

    2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

  11. #10
    Guru Member S3aturnR is just really nice S3aturnR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oxford, Mi
    Posts
    1,025
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    WE are talking about 5000 MILE service, not Kilometer service. So if you do a service before 5000 MILES it will chime AT 5000 miles letting you know. The warning comes on 600 miles before hand and counts down.
    mine comes on at some stupid-long time before hand. i want to say 1400 miles, but i'm not sure. i'm certain it's over 1000, tho...


    .
    s3aturnr

    the 3 is silent...

  12. #11
    Banned myrabbitisbetter has a spectacular aura about myrabbitisbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    the synthetic oil is drivable up to 7000 mile intervals but no more than that. changing at ever 5000 miles is a safty percaution to make sure ur engine will keep running great.

    Option 4: GO TO THE DAMN STEALERSHIP and bitch at em, they can fix everything you know....

  13. #12
    New Member Beastie is a jewel in the rough Beastie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks!! Didnt even bother to look for it in the manual.... the internet is much faster ; ) Didnt feel like paying the dealership 75 bucks to change the oil....

  14. #13
    LIFETIME VIP MEMBER jaylind has much to be proud of jaylind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    1,277
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    I just changed the oil in Foo's ride. I need to do the reset now as well.
    I used the Mobil 1. I also did my Trailblazer and used the Mobile 1. 15000 mile interval oil. I am going to use the oil life sensor and some common sense to see how long this will last.

    JAy

  15. #14
    New Member raiderchick72 is a jewel in the rough raiderchick72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    WOW!! IT WORKED!! THANKS!! Changed the oil myself. I just needed to reset. That beat pay 200 bucks like the last time!

  16. #15
    Site Moderatrix
    punkpie has a brilliant future punkpie has a brilliant future punkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    8,730
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    I stuck this over in How-To's and DIY's
    2008 United Grey Rabbit / 1991 Capri Green Golf projekt

  17. #16
    Guru Member zoootsuit is just really nice zoootsuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    935
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    I got an oil change last week and had to get rid of the wrench message. It took a few minutes to find it in the owner's manual and two tries. It really isn't that hard to do. As far as miles/kilometers, Canadian cars run in kilometers so I would think the 5000 mile value would be transposed automatically.
    http://media.paultan.org/vw_rabbit_bunny_cover.jpg

    Comfortline, ESP, Cold Weather Package

  18. #17
    Guru Member BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Περιστέρι. Ελλάδα
    Posts
    5,256
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
    mine comes on at some stupid-long time before hand. i want to say 1400 miles, but i'm not sure. i'm certain it's over 1000, tho...


    .
    Yea mine comes on at what I believe like 1500mi, then again at 1000mi, then every 100miles it tells me.
    I LIKE TO PUT RIDICULOUSLY BIG PICTURES IN MY SIG.

    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    blast my nuts
    08 Golf ; 03 F350; 86 K5 Blazer
    00 TDI Jetta ; 10 Charger; 87 Toyota Pickup
    87 Golf; 89 4Runner; 94 Kawi Vulcan

  19. #18
    New Member jerdenn is a jewel in the rough jerdenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I was wondering what the ittle wrench meant. I bought mine, a 2008 Rabbit 2.5liter as a rebuilder with only 300 miles on it and it now has around 1980 miles on it and started to notice the little wrench would appear when I would start the car and it would flash a bit before the mileage would appear. So..my question is? When does the light first come on? After 1,000 miles? Is there a possibility that the indicator could come on prematurely?

  20. #19
    Senior Member eesh is a jewel in the rough eesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRabbit View Post
    ** just to set the stage for this post, I'm in Canada and our service indicator intervals are set for 8000 kms, with reminders starting at 1200 kms prior to the next 8000 km service interval. there's some math required in this post, so pour yourself a drink and grab your calculator **

    So I went for my first service a while ago when I just turned over 5000 kms. I've got 6800 kms now. My manual lists the service intervals in increments of 8000 kms. So why did I go when I did ?

    I received a letter from my salesman about 2 weeks after I drove it off the lot. It was a lovely letter...LOL...thanking me for my purchase and if there was anything he could do to assist....bla bla...lovey dovey stuff.

    Anyway...in his letter, he went on to give me the service departments contact info, and that I should have my first service done at 5000 kms. Cool....nice, and i filed the letter. As time went on, I mulled over the discrepancy between the 8000 km interval (from the manual) and the 5000 km first service (from the letter). And after a little internal debate, I decided to go at 5000 kms as per the letter.

    After I got my car back and left the dealer, I got to thinking about the service indicator and wondered if they had reset it. I now know that they didn't, because I just started getting the service reminder wrench. I guess the reminders are set on our cars to start "reminding us" at 1200 to the next serivce. No big deal I thought....but....wait a second...

    Once I hit 8000 kms, I believe the reminders start getting more agressive, and the wrench will stay on for a longer period of time and I'll get chimes.....bugging me to go for service..LOL And I won't need to!! So basically, my first 5k service (and now subsequent services) has caused my Rabbit's actual next services to be out of sync with the service reminder.

    Service reminder = 8000 kms
    Actual services perfomed = #1 @5000, #2 is scheduled at 13000, according to the oil reminder sticker the service guy put on my windsheild and in-line with VWs recommendation to change oil every 8000 kms.

    WTF do I do ?
    1. Do I reset the interval now ? No...I can't do that cuz I want the reminders to be realistic and match the manual.

    2. Do I change oil / filter at 8000 kms and reset the interval then. No...cuz I think that would be a waste of money.

    3. Do I reset the indicator when I hit 8000 kms, do nothing, and wait until 16,000 kms for my next real service? Possibly, but I'm a little uncomfortable doing that cuz that will be 11,000 kms (approx 6100 miles) between oil changes.

    95% of my driving is city BTW.

    I should have gone with what the manual said and not what the freakin' salesman's letter told me.

    Anyone have a better option than #3, cuz thats the way I'm leaning. Thx

    PS For my fellow Canadian new Rabbit owners who have not hit their first service yet....stick with what the manual suggests and ignore any salesman letter telling you differently !! I should have been so smart.
    I would reset it now to get rid of that annoying wrench and chime, and just reset it again when you go for your next oil change at 13000KM (even though it won't remind you). At that point, you'll be in sync.

    BTW, I have yet to get my first oil change. I'm at 6500km. I was going to wait until 8000km because my manual says the interval is 14000km.... hmm...
    2009 Black 2dr Rabbit
    17" Goals for the summer, 17" ClassiX for the winter
    35% tint | smoked side markers | Sebring Antenna | GLI Skirts | Pioneer Avic-700BT & MTX TC710 sub

  21. #20
    New Member crypt2k is a jewel in the rough crypt2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    just joined. you guys are awesome. will go give this a go right now!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Service Interval
    By Xeo in forum VW Rabbit MKV Forum 2006/2007/2008/2009
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 03:30 PM
  2. Service interval (time) for low mileage driver
    By wwwater in forum VW Rabbit MKV Forum 2006/2007/2008/2009
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM
  3. Service Interval Opinion
    By julmuz in forum MKV Rabbit FAQs & Newbies
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 12:20 PM
  4. Service Interval Display
    By gjas18 in forum VW Rabbit MKV Forum 2006/2007/2008/2009
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 11:27 PM
  5. resetting the service indicator light
    By Flopsy in forum MKV Mods and Installs
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

2010 vw polo service light reset

2008 VW RABBIT RESET SERVICE LIGHT

how to reset vw rabbit service light

reset maintenance light vw rabbit

how to reset service light on 2008 VW rabbit

SEO Blog

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Volkswagen Forum Diminished Value of Oregon portland oregon seo DiminishedValue.net total loss value Privacy Policy
Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.