Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  YeYo135 
#1 ·
I'm considering buying an 2004 Jetta Turbo GLS with a manual transmission and 120K miles. This will actually be my first car, and I'm looking for advice on what I should look for or what I should ask. I have asked for the VIN# to run a CARFAX report and check for any open recalls, but what else should I ask the owner about (regarding service and maintenance)?

I'm a newbie and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 ·
The Carfax is one thing but it's not perfect. I bought a car once that had a clean Carfax and I learned later that it had been in an accident. Hopefully your state requires that info like that must be made available. That being said,
Are you buying from a private seller or a dealer? The first thing is to check maintenance records if available. Then have the car checked by a trusted mechanic. I'm not sure how long it has been required by law, but see if the VIN on body panels match the car's VIN. Quick checks would be to check under the hood and under the car for any leaks. Check under the trunk carpeting for any obvious signs of repairs. Check that body panel bolts are painted over. If the paint is broken it's an indicator that a body panel was removed or replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.