Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  capwelltodd 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I've been though 30+ cars now and this is my first VW =). Purchased a used 2008 Rabbit 2.5 5speed and its a fun little car to drive.

Couple questions, is it normal for the fan to go off every couple minutes and be this loud? Also, where would you guys recommend buying a remote key fob? I'm trying not to go to the dealer and was wondering if it was ok to buy on ebay and go to a locksmith. The car is equipped with keyless entry but the previous owner lost the remote key. Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Hey man Congrats on buying your first VW. Welcome to the world of Hating your car while loving your car at the same time haha. Im mine did the same thing with the cooling fan since day one. Apparently when i plugged mine into my vag com it was telling me the other cooling fan for my AC doesnt work so this one is working double over time. The best way to figure that out is find someone near you with Vag Com and have them plug it in and see if it is the same issue. And i know this is something you do not want to hear. But Most locksmiths will not cut our Keys because they are laser cut. Furthermore our cars are equip with immobilizers so you are stuck going to the dealer ship to get the key synchronized to the ECU. This is a theft deterent that works by inserting a key that was cut at a locksmith by someone trying to steal the car. Last time i got a Key i just gave them my VIN number and the key was pre made in Chattanooga i believe and shipped down and they synced it as soon as it arrived. I hope this helps

#4 ·
The key from the dealer can cost ~150 depending on the parts guy. Needs to be programmed by the dealer, we charge a half hour for it...make no mistake sometimes i lose on that...these cars dont always take to key adaptions.

Sounds like you have a cooling fan or coolant temp sensor issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.