Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

Intake Manifold Replacement & Carbon Build-Up - 2010 CC (66000 Miles or 107,000 Km)

29K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  EngTech1 
#1 ·
Intake Manifold Replacement & Carbon Build-Up - 2010 CC (66000 Miles or 107,000 Km)

I have owned my 2010 CC for 6 months now, and purchased it through VW Canada's Certified Pre-Owned program, with extended warranty.

My "ENGINE" light went on yesterday and when I took it to the dealer, they said that their diagnosis shows that I need a new intake manifold. While the manifold replacement is covered under warranty, they did strongly recommend that I pay $500 and get the carbon scraped out while they are at it. This is of-course, not covered under warranty.

Does anyone have thoughts on this carbon cleaning? I just want to ensure I am not being taken for a ride.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Re: Intake Manifold Replacement & Carbon Build-Up - 2010 CC (66000 Miles or 107,000 K

ask them to show you the buildup when the manifold is off. at that point you can make a decision. most likely you'll want them to clean it when the system is open. if not, you'll have to reopen the system and the ~$500 will go to ~$800 because of the additional labor.

edit: carbon buildup is insanely real for this engine and the labor to clean time-consuming is expensive.

welcome to the VWOC and good luck.

#3 ·
Re: Intake Manifold Replacement & Carbon Build-Up - 2010 CC (66000 Miles or 107,000 K

I agree with Jeevis, show me the build up. Yes they have a bit of a carbon problem but nothing that at least with mine has led to any problems. That kind of money is criminal if you ask me, two hour job at the most. My intake was warrantied and I'm luck enough to have access to BG equipment and an Intake service around every 20K miles or so keeps me running fine and I'm only out thirty bucks for chemicals. Shameless plug for BG (and I'm not compensated) but their Throttle Body cleaner and a can of 44K is like new engine in a can. I wouldn't doubt that $500 de-carbon job is a can of the aforementioned. G'luck with it.

#6 ·

BG is an automotive products company that makes chemicals and equipment for a long line of automotive needs. Here's their main web site...

http://www.bgprod.com/

You can research the products I listed before here...

http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/

The induction service I mentioned requires a piece of equipment, the BG VIA (Vehicle Injection Apparatus ((I wish I was making that name up)) ) and the chemical Air Intake System Cleaner. Unless you want to really spend the money to buy the VIA find a shop that does this.
Products such as 44K Fuel Treatment and the Throttle Body Cleaner are available on Ebay for anyone and sometimes cheaper than my local distributor sells for.

I'm a semi-retired wrench who has a friend who lets me play in his garage and we've been using BG products for years and we swear by them. Personally I wouldn't do business with a shop that didn't use their products. I'm just guessing but they must be in Canada too.

This part is totally my opinion (as is everything else so far) , is the spray going to de-carbon your ports and backs of valves, no, not much, plus you'd have to use so much of the product you just might hydro-lock the engine (fill it with fluid till it couldn't turn over). About the only thing that would clean them nice and shiny would be one of those systems that use walnut shells as an abrasive that is blown in the ports and combustion chamber. I've never used, I hear they do a hell'uva job but also are a major pain the butt to use not to mention time consuming. I have a friend in a Ford garage that has one, they used it once then went back to using BG products.
Not just Direct Injection engines but just about all engines these days suffer from all types of nasty build ups in the intake systems. Dirty Throttle Bodies seem to be the major culprit to a whole host of issues. Clean them up and life is good again.
I drive an 09 CC Sport with 50K miles on it and I can honestly say I have had no issues "carbon" related. I use quality oils and change it often. Personally I think the 10K mile recommendation is insanity and I change at 5-6K miles but I've seen plenty of oil damage in my days so I'm kind of paranoid. I put in a can of BG 44K Fuel Treatment every 10K miles and I have done two induction services so far. My intake was warrantied at about 45K miles (I hate letting other people work on my cars). They should clean the throttle body when they change the intake, might as well, it had to be taken off any way but the laziness of people never ceases to amase me or piss me off either.
If I were you I'd let the dealer warranty the intake then go find a garage that uses BG products and get an Intake System service. Cost of that could vary incredibly anywhere from say $200 - $400 American on the average I'd say. If you find yourself in Florida look me up and me and my buddy will set you up.
Hope this helps you out some...Cheers!

#7 ·

Do what I stated; have them show you before making a decision. It is a 4 to 5 hour manual cleaning process. The intake is coming off under warranty, it is the best time to inspect.

Also is this was their diagnosis, BG won't help at this point in time. The intake manifold mechanism breaks down when the build up is bad.

#8 ·

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all the advice and guidance here! VW called me back today and said they did find carbon after taking the intake manifold off, and that they can do it for $345 + tax. Since the price had gone down from last week, I thought I would do this as a type of "cheap insurance" and hope I won't have to do it again.

Is there any way to prevent carbon build-up in a direct injection motor like this?

Thank you again!

#10 ·

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all the advice and guidance here! VW called me back today and said they did find carbon after taking the intake manifold off, and that they can do it for $345 + tax. Since the price had gone down from last week, I thought I would do this as a type of "cheap insurance" and hope I won't have to do it again.

Is there any way to prevent carbon build-up in a direct injection motor like this?

Wouldn't an oil catch can really help with this issue? I'm sure it wouldn't completely fix the issue, but would extend the required cleaning greatly.

#9 ·

jeevis, this is standard practice. I generally sell a decarb on any higher mileage tsi that needs an intake manifold. I charge 2.5hrs on top.

To prevent the carbon build, well theres no tried and true maintenance. Were messing with justice brothers chemicals and are going to be doing long term testing, but i have my doubts. Scrub the valves every 50k.

#11 ·

345 is not a terrible price. Definitely opt to do the cleaning.

And no, it will happen again and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

There is a way to prevent it, but not with this engine.

Plan for it to happen around the same time, mileage wise.

That's all you can do.

#12 ·

345 is not a terrible price. Definitely opt to do the cleaning.

And no, it will happen again and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

There is a way to prevent it, but not with this engine.

Plan for it to happen around the same time, mileage wise.

That's all you can do.

Probably going to start a new thread on catch cans. Not sure why it wouldn't help. Taking some of the oil out of the EGR system should improve the issue. Others on other cars have blocked off the EGR system completely (friend with Mazdaspeed3). You mentioned that there are ways but not on this engine. I'm brand new to this car and trying to take in as much info as I can, so please school me.

#13 ·

Dual injection (direct + port). The port part will supposedly keep fuel flushing the valve surfaces. Probably intermittently during certain phases of driving.

Vw was supposedly working on this, but it hasn't been released in the states yet.

#17 ·

I have owned my 2010 CC for 6 months now, and purchased it through VW Canada's Certified Pre-Owned program, with extended warranty.

My "ENGINE" light went on yesterday and when I took it to the dealer, they said that their diagnosis shows that I need a new intake manifold. While the manifold replacement is covered under warranty, they did strongly recommend that I pay $500 and get the carbon scraped out while they are at it. This is of-course, not covered under warranty.

Does anyone have thoughts on this carbon cleaning? I just want to ensure I am not being taken for a ride.

Thank you.

#19 ·
It's Also due to Oil Companies - Not Keeping up with Modern Engines ..

It's also Happening - Not many do a Engine Wash Out with Marvel M Oil adding 2-3Oz to Crank case for say 100 miles before Change Out ( Local Driving )
50 Miles 1 Hot Run then Change Out - You'll see Oil Last 2000 Miles Further & Be Cleaner .. so after 3 of those Most Carbon Crap is Gone , If You had started this Procedure
Early in Engine Life ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.