Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  78RabbitL 
#1 ·
I have two Rabbits, one is a 1983 and the other a 1981, both diesels. I need to replace my motor mounts to cut down on the vibration at idle. Had anyone here done this job from start to finish? Can you share your experiences?

Thanks,
Larry Mills

#2 ·
I replaced the hardest one

I've got an 81 diesel. Some previous owner had replaced all the mounts but the passenger side one, and it was a mushy mess so I had to replace it. It is not easy for a home mechanic, but it can be done. The biggest obstacle is obvious: it is held in a mount plate that holds the injection pump and runs behind the timing belt. I don't know of any easy way to get it off other than removing all that stuff, but I was rebuilding the engine anyway and that stuff was already off. Here's the process in a nutshell:

* You'll need a small jack under that end of the engine, not just to support the weight but also because being able to fiddle with the height is vital to getting the mount boltholes lined up.

* I doubt you can press out the old mount without damaging the relatively thin ring it sits in. The insert casing is so thin I cannot think of any sort of drift that could push it out. I did not try. I used a hacksaw to almost cut through the insert's casing, not quite deep enough to hit the ring. I made two cuts about 1/4" apart then chiseled out the bit between them. Then it was easy to pry the insert casing loose and remove it.

* I am fortunate enough to have a manual shop press, because the insert took a lot of force to press in, likely on the order of 5 tons even with being lubed with some moly grease. Make sure you get the orientation of the insert correct before you press because the only way to fix a mistake is the cut it up routine. The metal center goes to the bottom. I used a large iron pipe cap as a driver to get around the metal center that sticks up. And start pressing slow and careful, the insert will desperately try to **** over and get jammed, and trying to free it may damage it (I almost wrecked mine).

I have the Bentley manual, and it was some help in guiding the process, but did not give much detail, and no picture of the correct insert alignment.

I'm not online that much, but if you have a specific question I'll try to answer.

Tony

#3 ·
I've got an 81 diesel. Some previous owner had replaced all the mounts but the passenger side one, and it was a mushy mess so I had to replace it. It is not easy for a home mechanic, but it can be done. The biggest obstacle is obvious: it is held in a mount plate that holds the injection pump and runs behind the timing belt. I don't know of any easy way to get it off other than removing all that stuff, but I was rebuilding the engine anyway and that stuff was already off. Here's the process in a nutshell:

* You'll need a small jack under that end of the engine, not just to support the weight but also because being able to fiddle with the height is vital to getting the mount boltholes lined up.

* I doubt you can press out the old mount without damaging the relatively thin ring it sits in. The insert casing is so thin I cannot think of any sort of drift that could push it out. I did not try. I used a hacksaw to almost cut through the insert's casing, not quite deep enough to hit the ring. I made two cuts about 1/4" apart then chiseled out the bit between them. Then it was easy to pry the insert casing loose and remove it.

* I am fortunate enough to have a manual shop press, because the insert took a lot of force to press in, likely on the order of 5 tons even with being lubed with some moly grease. Make sure you get the orientation of the insert correct before you press because the only way to fix a mistake is the cut it up routine. The metal center goes to the bottom. I used a large iron pipe cap as a driver to get around the metal center that sticks up. And start pressing slow and careful, the insert will desperately try to **** over and get jammed, and trying to free it may damage it (I almost wrecked mine).

I have the Bentley manual, and it was some help in guiding the process, but did not give much detail, and no picture of the correct insert alignment.

I'm not online that much, but if you have a specific question I'll try to answer.

Tony
can anyone tell me if a 1981 goft 1.6 diesel will fit in a 1982 Rabbit? From what I can see the goft front motor mounts are attached to the back rather then the front inbetween the timing belt.
Thanks Harold

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.