Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  briano1234 
#1 ·
1st question: Does anybody else have to rebuild their vacuum pump every two months? I have been getting a rebuild kit from NAPA and there junk. Its made by Myle and about every 2 months it goes bad. Does anybody know of a different manufacture of these rebuild kits that will last?

2nd question: Because of my vacuum pump experiance I am thinking about upgradeing to the vane style pump. Does anybody know what years and what vehicles will interchange with my 82MK1? I have seen these brand new for big $ and thought I would start hunting the junk yards but don't know what vehicles I should start looking for.

#2 ·
I think it is the cost reduction in quality of Meyle...I have seen it degrade over the years.
Napa should cover the cost of the parts as they are warranted for 12m/12000 usually.

Now Autohausaz as has original VAG parts as well as a couple of other vendors.
They ship quick, and it couldn't hurt to order new spare and have it on hand.

Autohausaz also lists the parts by vendor, so you order FEBI or VAG you get that, and not a Meyle subbed part.

2. There are some years that don't interchange, but I don't have any first hand information on that.

Lastly when you have your pump out, check it for end-to-en d play as yours may be worn out, or that there is additional bearing slip that allows the throw of he presser arm to over extend
the diaphragm.

#6 ·
How's are yours breaking, I am wondering if yours are torsion breaking, from wear as in tearing, or from excessive hot oil bypass where the oil is weakening the rubber, and the issue is a wear related that you may need to think of replacing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.