Fog lights
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fog lights

New Member JoshSmith is a jewel in the rough JoshSmith's Avatar
    Thanks

Post Fog lights

My wife just bought a 2013 Jettta with 4k miles on it. We're getting the windows tinted tomorrow. I want to put fog lights on the front like on the TDI. Is this already pre wired you think? Is there any other small changes anyone could recommend to make it look more sporty?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Justis is a jewel in the rough Justis's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Fog lights

Bumping this because I want to know the same

New Member parthtc09 is just really nice parthtc09's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSmith View Post
    My wife just bought a 2013 Jettta with 4k miles on it. We're getting the windows tinted tomorrow. I want to put fog lights on the front like on the TDI. Is this already pre wired you think? Is there any other small changes anyone could recommend to make it look more sporty?
    Check ecs tuning for a fog kit. You'll also need to purchase the euro switch that can control the fog lights too. You're probably looking at 40-100 for the switch and about 50 or so for the housing/light which should come with the harness (wiring).
    Quote Originally Posted by Justis View Post
    Bumping this because I want to know the same

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

They are not pre wired, fused, or relayed, if you do not have fog-lamps already.
    Your headlamp switch is also not for FOG lamps if you didn't already have them.

My TDI w/Premium didn't come with fog-lamps, they have to be ordered with them.

Depending how you want to wire the fog-lamps, and quality, will determine it costing you
    $54.00 to as much as $254.00+ for all OEM stuff.

~$54.00 for a cheap china kit with covers, lamps, and a wiring harness you hook up however
    you want. However the Chinese kits, they come with halogen bulbs that are NOT
    glass, and are lower power. If you go to a store, and put Sylvania or other halogen
    55 watt bulbs in there, it will melt the fog-lamp housing. You will have to use HIDs
    in order for them to last, or find 35 watt 9006 bulbs. The Chinese kits will not be able
    to handle 55-watt store bought halogens, I know, I have had THREE sets. They
    were all road debris and animal hit damaged, but when I did put in 55-watt store bought,
    the reflector part of the housing melted on the last set. LEDs, water ruined them...
    Only the HIDs lasted. The Chinese bulbs bubbled up and burst as well...

$254.00+ for an OEM install, with a new headlamp switch, wiring and relay. If you have the small 10-pin
    harness on your headlamp switch, I have two brand new Euro ones for sale. You can check by pulling
    the switch out. You pugh the knob IN, then turn on, the switch will come right out, then you can turn the
    lights off. The switch will snap right back in... The OEM fog lamp assemblies WILL be able to handle 55-watt
    halogen bulbs, REAL ones, not the Chinese crap.

Use 35-watt HIDs if you go the cheap route. 55-watts will have light all over the place, and a LOT
    of side-fire light; you'll be able to see inside the car next to you as you pass, no kidding, AND they don't like
    that.

Mine were wired to a spot in the engine bay fuse/relay center, was an empty relay socket. They would come
    on with the car, and STAY on. When you exit the car. the fog lights stayed on for another minute, then turned off.
    IF it were in regen when I shut down, the fans still on, the fogs stayed on too, till they turned off... So, I would
    key on/off till the fans stayed off, then the fogs went off that minute later.

Junior Member amancuso is a jewel in the rough amancuso's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parthtc09 View Post
    Check ecs tuning for a fog kit. You'll also need to purchase the euro switch that can control the fog lights too. You're probably looking at 40-100 for the switch and about 50 or so for the housing/light which should come with the harness (wiring).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    What he said!

New Member parthtc09 is just really nice parthtc09's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    What he said!
    This guy right here.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

There is more to it than just the Euro switch. The FOGS are turned off when the
    hi-beams are switched on, which is not handled by the switch.

Also, wires will have to be moved around from the existing harness for
    the euro switch, because, like on mine, there is no just parking light option.
    Both trigger wires for the headlamps and parking lights are to the same
    pin, for lights ON. When the car is not running, then only the parking lights
    come on. With the key in the RUN position, both the headlamp and parking
    lights come on.

I just sold two Euro switches here for $15.00 each, not $40-$100, you can
    get them on WISH.COM from $13 and up, AND can spend some more money
    for the auto on sensor.

Thanks

Many kits out there. Don't be afraid of the China kits. I had one for 2.5yrs with philips bulbs and the housings never melted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Many kits out there. Don't be afraid of the China kits. I had one for 2.5yrs with philips bulbs and the housings never melted.
    Mine did melt with halogen 55watt bulbs. I had HIDs in them, it was fine. As soon
    as I went with halogen, yeah, they melted...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2013Tdi View Post
    Mine did melt with halogen 55watt bulbs. I had HIDs in them, it was fine. As soon
    as I went with halogen, yeah, they melted...
    Bad luck bruh.

+ Reply to Thread