VW Rabbit Forum " 1980 Rabbit Blower Troubleshooting" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1980 Rabbit Blower Troubleshooting

Junior Member mercysakesalive is a jewel in the rough mercysakesalive's Avatar
    Thanks

1980 Rabbit Blower Troubleshooting

My blower won't turn on. I checked the switch. I disconnected the switch "harness/round black plastic piece-with the wires in it" from the switch knob. I measured 12V at the B/R wire. Good. Then I measured 12V at all the other wires except for the brown one. I think that's a sign that I have a bad switch, right? I wouldn't expect to read 12V at the other wires with the switch disconnected. Hopefully, I've done an adequate job explaining my question.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 1980 Rabbit Blower Troubleshooting

Welcome to the Forum. I moved your thread to the OLDer rabbit forum, as we speak MK1 where the main rabbit forum doesn't.
    Now before you read any more... We would like to see a picture of your beastie. So upload it to a photosharing website,, and then post the link....

Well yes, and no.

Is this a 4speed fan or a 3 speed fan.

or do you have factory air conditioning or no air,,, if he a/c has been removed that is still a/c.

The Fan switches are a common failure point, but.... they take 12V in and then switch it to the different legs of the switch to go to a Resistor on the blower motor.
    It is the voltage through the resistor that causes the fan to cycle speeds.

On the left side of your heater box, there is the 4 or 5 wire white nylon connector that comes from the switch to the harness for the blower motor.
    Look at it carefully... there is a Brown wire that is the main ground for the motor... That connector and those pins can get really brown burnt toasty.
    As the motor is isolated from frame, the ground wire is crucial to the blower. If that wire (usually Brown) is toasty, fried, or whatever you what to call it. in the connector you aren't getting ground to the motor.

So you can cut the wire on the motor side of the connector and splice in a new ground. I have had to do that on 2 different cabriolets that I have owned..
    If you take the switch out, you will find that only one pin on the round connector has 12V. You can jumper that to any of the other wires (cept brown or ground) in that connector and your fan will spin. If the ground to the motor is good then the motor will spin. If the motor doesn't spin, then it is either the ground or the motor.

You get to the motor via the engine compartment.

I am going to link you to a thread that shows you how to "do it" that is remove the 4spd motor.

http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/Repl...lowerMotor.pdf

and
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1817057

and
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1843162

From the Wait there is more Dept.
    Here is the typical a/c circuit for a cabby..... it is very similar to what you are seeing your colors may be different...
    if you look at the ground for the motor, it is coming from the same connector that the switch goes to t5

What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Thanks

Thanks, I put a pic up in my profile of my car. The car is a non A/C. It has a four speed fan. I don't have a brown wire going into the blower. There are five wires.
    1. black/red
    2. black/yellow
    3. white/red
    4. white
    5. black
    any guess as to which one is supposed to be ground? the voltmeter wasn't helpful.

Senior Member lobster_head has a brilliant future lobster_head has a brilliant future lobster_head's Avatar
    Thanks

None of them. All of those wires are shown in the diagram that Briano posted. In addition the diagram shows two red/black wires going to the motor and a brown ground wire coming from it. Check that the brown wire is in fact grounded properly.

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mercysakesalive View Post
    Thanks, I put a pic up in my profile of my car. The car is a non A/C. It has a four speed fan. I don't have a brown wire going into the blower. There are five wires.
    1. black/red
    2. black/yellow
    3. white/red
    4. white
    5. black
    any guess as to which one is supposed to be ground? the voltmeter wasn't helpful.
    All those colors are in the pic I posted. The brown, or ground is in the connector on the drivers side of the heater box.
    The switch only has voltage on it.

The multimeter is the best tool for what you are doing.

Thanks

cool thank you so much, people. can't seem to find the brown wire though!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mercysakesalive View Post
    cool thank you so much, people. can't seem to find the brown wire though!
    ON THE drivers SIDE OF THE HEATER BOX above the kneebar. It is usually wire tied to the box with a self-sticky wire tie to the plastic box. The ground is in a 5-or 6 pin white molex (nylon) connector.
    It is attached to the Frame, or ground, runs through the connector to the motor harness.

The Connector is what connectes the switch to the motor.

The two wires that you see going to the motor are infact in the motor to connector side of the harness you have to look for it, but I will tell you it is there.......

Thanks

Cool, I trust you know what you're talking about but the only wires that go into that area are the 5 wires I listed above. They come from a white plastic connector box and then into the side of the underneath of the dash on the drivers side. I suppose I'll keep looking. But yeah, no brown wire.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text