Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  briano1234 
#1 ·
I would like to swap a 1.8 n/a engine into my 81 rabbit diesel. I'm just wondering if any one can tell me some info on this. Can I just drop it in and pretty much go?

#2 ·
what year, and what specific engine.
Only a diesel to diesel is a straight swap.

If you are going gas, there is engine management 1 or 2 fuel pumps needed....

Specifics as in model and year of engine or at least the code off the block

#4 · (Edited)
Both types of swaps are managed, however you will need to consider the following.

The rabbit diesel is a bottom feeder, that is the Fuel tank exits the bottom, most gassers feed from the sending unit.
The earlier 1984 had a single fuel pump, where as the latter 1984.5 had a larger tank and 2 fuel pumps.

There are 2 styles of 1.8 engines.
The pre 1990 which are CIS
1990-1993 which are digifant and there are 2 types, California which is 1990-1991 and called Digifant I or Digifant II which is non California cars 1990-1993 both are totally different in the EFI part.

Two totally different injection systems, the DIGIFANT is EFI where as the CIS is mechanical

You will need 2 fuel pumps and a new sending unit as one of the pumps is in the tank including the harness back to the tank.
You will need the Fuse panel and complete wiring assemblies to the engine as well as the ECU and controllers for each.
The Digifant will need to have the airbag controller circuits bypassed which is relatively a single wire splice to a harness but you won't need the airbag controller box.

You will possibly need the instrument cluster and dash cap as the cluster is totally different in the latter 1.8 world. Or you could try to wire around
things back to your cluster.

I am not a CIS guru, but there are additional relays and solenoids needed for the CIS that aren't readily apparent, and a CIS person would need to answer that.

Is it a straight swap? NO. Is it easy, depends on your skill level.

Then you have the regular Gasser maintenance items, the only sweet spot is that if you throw a timing belt you don't destroy the engine as the gassers are non interference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.