Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
24K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  YeshCC 
#1 ·
Just changed the oil for the first time and have a few thoughts. First, what the heck is the deal with that little stupid Torx drain plug. I already stripped it and replace it with one that has a SOCKET head. Whoever designed/authorized that drain plug should be beaten silly.
Secondly, I bought an oil filter from Walmart and it was the wrong one. The one on the 2013 has a male end piece that screws INTO the housing versus the standard oil filter that has a female end piece that screws ONTO the housing.

#2 ·
VW doesn't use torx bits afaik. Most bolts that look like torx are actually triple square. Also WalMart is probably not the best store to buy parts for a German car. Your best bet is to buy a Mann filter.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-CC-FWD-2.0T/Engine/Filter/ES1899285

#4 ·
The oem plug is a t45 torx. The move to torx was to prevent over tightening of the plug. With a regular hex head it's a common mistake.

2012s and some 13s came with Allen head plugs but we had to replace with revised torx plugs. The cc also alway came with the same filter for the tsi.

#5 ·
You also have free oil changes courtesy of Volkswagen so you shouldn't have to deal with "torx/triple square.....whatever." If you get this flustered about a drain plug and oil filter I would love to see you do any other work on the rest of the car :)

Now, i'm scared to know what type of oil you put into the engine.

#7 ·
Oil: your owner's manual tells you to use a high quality synthetic all season oil meeting VW standard VW 502 00 grade 5W40. The oil topic has been covered extensively on this forum for all models of VW. Whatever you decide to use, make sure it says on the container that it meets the VW specification!
Filter: the OEM filter is VW part #06J115403J or I believe it is now 06J115403Q which you can buy at the dealership or online. My last service invoice says 06J115403J, but the filter says 06J115561B on the side - google searching claims they are interchangeable. One online (ecstuning the link noted in a prevous reply) supplier shows the 561B in the picture for the 403Q and also supplies a compatible MANN filter #W719/45.

I, personally, don't buy any auto stuff at Walmart, so I don't know what filters they have. They probably have a name brand synthetic oil that meets the specification for European cars in this case the VW 502 00 and it will say so on the container.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.