Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Midmusq 
#1 ·
Please help me find directions to wire up a '93 N/A diesel in to my gaser '83 Rabbit. I'm told it only takes three wires to run the diesel, but which three , hooked up which '83 wires, and what to do with the rest of the '83's wiring in the engine bay ?

I'm a first timer here, would welcome the help, even directions to a thread that is out there, anything. I'd like to be able to continue with this as I take my VW Van off the road for the winter. I'm so close to start up.

#2 ·
Moving your thread to the General sub forum.

1 wire to glow plugs
1 wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid
1 ground wire
2 wires to the alternator
1 main power back to the battery
1 small blue exciter wire back to the dash.

I think that is about all there is...but my memory is a little cloudy, due to lack of sleep, alcohol, and over 13 years since I wrenched a diesel rabbit.

#3 ·
briano,
Thanks for responding. I was thinking of using (one of) the black wires that did run to the + side of the coil as a hot wire to glow plugs. (Dont know which one). I don't know where the fuel shut off is? "Small blue exciter wire to the dash" what and where etc?
The ground wire was on the motor when I installed it. It now runs to the inner fender to a 10 cm bolt then up the the - of battery.

The + red wire was on both the starter motor on the diesel and the inner fender of the car. So I'm thinking if I use the + that was on the car and just run it to the large starter bolt, the other leads that run back into the wiring harness from that large red wire, should be correct to run the rest of the car from there, right?
All help is needed !!! Thanks

#9 ·
I was thinking of using (one of) the black wires that did run to the + side of the coil as a hot wire to glow plugs.
Be aware that the glow plugs can draw 50 or more amps when cold. The coil wires are not sufficient to handle the current.
The diesel wiring is actually much simpler than the gas setup. You can eliminate all of the ignition and fuel control module stuff.
If you get a glow plug relay and follow the wiring diagram in the bentley, you can have it operate like stock. Actually not very complicated as VW did an excellent job labeling fuse box and wire connections. You could set it up like stock on the dash side of the firewall with a proper glow plug relay and in the engine compartment, use a solenoid as per the link that someone posted above to switch the high current.

#4 ·
+12, battery to starter to alternator
Ground from negative battery to frame from frame to engine/tranny

The Alternator if you have a plug should have 3 wires 2 big and one black or blue the black or blue is the exciter that goes back to the dash.

Fuel shutoff is on the injection pump usually the rear

Glow plugs is a big red lead off the firewall to the glow plug bus The other lead goes through a fuse back to the glow plug relay in the fuse box.

#5 ·
Many thanks, I will be reviewing this as I work at it tomorrow. Since the car was gas and now diesel, the wire to the dash will have to go to some sort of a switch to turn glows on and off, until I find a diesel dash with lights etc. I'm trying to get my mind around the set up for the glow plugs as the car has never had it set up.!!!

#8 ·
You could hook a little red light next to the switch. When its lite the switch is on. Just a thought.

Twocams

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.