Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
23K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  runnermedic 
#1 ·
I know there are plenty of these posts about jetta/golf (no spark) but this one is driving me fairly insane.
1998 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L GLS 5 speed 102,813 miles
Just bought this car off a friend, sat in a storage unit (inclosed, under shelter) for a year.
Pulled it out, cranks but no start.
I've been doing my research on no spark issues with these cars and I have found a few related to ignition switch, coil, crankshaft position sensor, ecu, distributor/hal sensor.

Tested coil (all data specs) - bad coil - replaced

Tested hal sensor (online specs) - tested good

Attempted to test cps - could not find any given specs on it but with an OHM meter when cranking the numbers jumped around which not certain but assuming its good (not positive)
Just tested crankshaft position sensor - Across two wires tested at .843kohms, tested another two sets and got OL - when cranking those two wires that read .843kohm went OL, all other possabilties of testing via the 3 terminals when unplugged all read OL

Found out that the ecm relay was missing, so I ordered one from a local O'Reilly auto parts and installed

STILL NO SPARK.

I pulled the hoses off the fuel rail and cranked, fuel pumps through, and fuel comes out fuel regulator (return side) - so good

Checked all fuses - all good

Injectors on positive side remain constant power when cranking, grounding pulses when cranked

When key in on position I cannot hear the fuel pump hum, but when cranked fuel sprays out the hose, not sure if the fuel pump is supposed to hum with key on like a lot of american vehicles but when cranking and fuel is pumping I am assuming that is normal, but maybe not

Rotor spins on distributor, timing belt good

*CEL light is on when key on, not cranking

I have B+ at the coil wire (distributor side) with ignition on - is this normal (does not pulse when cranked)

Checked for pulse at wire connector going into coil (B+ at one wire, 2.xx volts at center wire, and ground - none pulse when cranked

Checked for spark at plug (ground plug, no spark) checked for spark at wire(via spark tester, no spark)

Ohm tested spark wires, tested good - so if distributor was putting out spark in theory it should travel through spark wire

New distributor cap and rotor (by appearance, very very clean looking, like brand new looking)

Tach moves when cranking

I have done my fair share of work and I have no idea where to continue to.
Someone with more experience with these cars please help me out!

See less See more
#2 ·
going to ask the obvious here. was it running when he put it in storage?

if so, clean all of the grounds to the chassis. start with the negative battery cable, regardless if it cranks or not. remove, inspect, clean, reinstall each grounding point. look for another ground to chassis near or at the alternator.

good luck and welcome to the VWOC...

#3 ·
Yes and no. The people took it into a shop and had an estimate done on another problem. It ran that day coming home. Next day it did not start. I have checked the two main circle plugs one on the right side of the motor (looking at it) and the other next to the radiator along with engine ground strap from coil to engine (both sides cleaned)

#5 · (Edited)
if your grounds are clean and if everything lays out to how you've listed it to be, i'd suspect the distributor to be faulty (if you can rule out the connections are ok).

i've only had one distributor fail on me, and it was on a mazda. however, i'm not sure if the 2.0 has the module built into the distributor housing where it can be replaced/swapped without replacing the entire assembly.

look into that if you haven't done so already.

edit: thanks for the additional bit of information

#6 ·
I have checked the distributor connections and they appear to be good but I cannot be positive. Are there some sort of specs on that sensor inside of the distributor? The distributor itself is okay, rotor spins when cranking - assuming that means the mechanical aspect of it is alright. What does the "hall" sensor effect or camshaft position sensor whatever you want to call it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.