Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
10K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  kaptainkremin 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi I'm looking into installing an alarm system on my car. I'm no mechanic but I basic knowledge of electronics. I was wondering if it's possible for an atfermarket alarm system to plug into the central lock? Or would I have to replace the central locking as well ?

Also how difficult would it be to install such an alarm system? what's invovled? The car also has a factory installed immobiliser but that only matters when I want to remote start the car right? Nah don't think I'll have it

#2 ·
Hi, yes it is possible, my wife's car a 51plate Polo 1.4se has such a system fitted, alarm immobilizer,central locking,interior sensors,door and bonnet protection, service key over ride, the alarm fitted is a Auto Watch, Advanced Vehicle Security System, the Blue Range 188rli alarm immobilizer it's 12yrs old now and no problems, probably rubbish by today's standards, but it does what it says on the box, taking the interior panels off with no knowledge can snap a lot of the lugs off with out the proper tools, a lot of the mobile alarm fitters will fit you an alarm which they will recommend on your drive, give one a call might not be as expensive as you think, if your central locking is the same as the older models it's air operated off a air motor located in the rear right panel, if you get the alarm fitted properly you can get an insurance discount as well, it's not that quick or easy to fit one, if it was, it's easier for a thief to get at to disable, hope this helps.

Regards Ian

#3 · (Edited)
I can see why you say it's not easy / quick but I refuse to be defeated by a piece of plastic. I took of the trim piece for the arm rest today I could see it's a four wire central lock system. Can you point me to where I can get a service manual? I wouldn't like to randomly connect things together incase it does short something out. Also what sort of tools should I use to remove the flippin door panel. I will need a alan key the bloody thing is bolted in the door handle as well as towards the bottom edge. VERY SECURE

#4 ·
HI again, (its more than a bit of plastic trim) firstly it won't be an allen key you need to undo the bolt you mention in the door it will be either a phillips screw or more likely a torx screw holding it, it's similar to an allen bolt but its just another way of the motor industry to deter you from taking it off yourself or you have go out and buy some more equipment, but you will need them again because lots of cars have these screws now, getting the interior trim off is easy if your careful but you will damage some no matter how careful you are because you will have no knowledge of how they come off so it will be trial and error, you can get a car interior trim removal kit off ebay and they're not that expensive, installing the central locking alarm you will need to remove some of the panels under the dash to fit the alarm module in a secure place, and removal of the windscreen trim for the interior sensors, front seat removal makes working under the dash much easier, removal of the trim in the boot, access under the bonnet bulk head to fit the siren, may have to drill the bulk head to gain access for supply cables, just stating the obvious but you will probably have to remove more than I've mentioned, you will probably need to get at the starter motor cables as a lot of alarms interrupt the power running to them, sounds horrendous but it can be done, you might be able to get a wiring diagram off ebay or try googling it, you will need a circuit tester also, a service manual won't tell you which wires to cut, the instructions for the alarm will but you have to find and trace them, not sure if Haynes has a manual for your car out yet but if it has it will explain how the panels come off and to colour code and identify cables but if you've never tried to follow a wiring diagram in one of these books I'm not going to spoil your fun, just make sure your mum isn't about in ear shot, I'm not going to throw any more water on the bonfire to dampen it down, just wanting to make sure you know whats involved, hope this helps and I've covered most of what you needed to know.

#5 ·
Just for the record, I'm reading your first thread again, so your Polo is fitted with central locking and immobilizer, immobilizer built into key and central locking working off key, but no alarm on a 2012, so it's like my wife's 51 plate before the alarm was fitted, not much changed 11 years if it is.

regards

#6 ·
That quite alright. My dad does have a point, I shouldn't be messing with it whilest it under warrenty. MAybe I should wait until it's finished? Yeah I appriciate your advice. I thought having the alarm was a good idea. I guess it's a new car and am into upgrading ****. I spent 300 quid (1st pay cheque) on GFX card so I can play games.

Or I could just buy it then install it when he's out hehehhehe!
I think the polo S 2012 has a one wire central lock now since I found it to be like this

wire 1 gnd
wire2 12v only when door locked - I think it powers the bulb behind the lock door switch
wire 3 I reckon this is the lock/unlock wire
wire 4 pernament 12v

I suspect it's like the older polo where it uses a resistor to tell if it should lock or unlock. Only a guess but am probably correct.

#8 ·
How do I remove the pilar covering. The one on the drivers side behind the wind shield. Even if I had that door panel tool thingy am afraid I may crack the windshield. The one thats right above the drivers air vent (where the heat and air conditioning comes out of)
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...ewAgoaoovd_jbrZrbtQbD4F-h6MUNSgrFxf8gpXHz7qL_

Right now I have the wire pushed under the rubber seal around the drivers door frame. I couldn't get it off. I could see I was in danger of ripping the clip off!! The rubber seal looks alittle weird with the wire being underneath but hey.

I hate ebay sometimes they can take ages to ship things. Anyway almost done I just need to buy some splice connectors. I'm not conformable with splicing into OEM cabling by stripping off some of the insulation then wrapping the wire around. I expected them to be soldered. There are connectors on EVERY SINGLE THING in the car. The wiring harness to the door (i.e. central lock/ window switches) is a PITA custom big thing. I suppose it makes it easy for the staff in the factory to assemble.

My dad has already almost ripped my balls off for taking apart the new car. To be fair I had no choice as the only grommet entry i had was on the passenger side which mean't removing the glove box. I had to use my electrician cable access kit to punch through the firewall.

#9 ·
You have probably done it by now but the door panel tool thingy would have been a trim removal tool normally, comes in a set to remove most trims, they are normally made of a hard plastic or coated metal to avoid damage to glass etc, the trim you describe should be a push fit into locating holes down the windscreen pillar which you will have to lever out, much easier with the plastic levers(doesn't mark or damage the trim) than a screwdriver say. The connecters are made like that to be idiot proof so you can't get them the wrong way round, that's not aimed at you by the way(can't put a square peg in a round hole) the splice connecters you mention are they the push fit one's what cut through the cable outer making the connection, not the best they can give trouble, solder is always best but not the quickest, have to agree with dad on this, done properly you could have got a insurance discount. You make it harder for the car thief by going for the glove box removal, hiding the cables properly, making it look like its part of the cars wiring loom and always been there, told you its wasn't a quick task, the easier it was for you to fit the easier it is for a thief remove, makes sense doesn't it.

#10 ·
LOL it DOES now. I just refuse to be defeated. It took me MANY MANY MANY hours to fit the ****er. At least it works. If I was to do it again to another car I probably just get a keyless entry. To be honest car alarm isn't really going to prevent theft. He'll be gone before you get there.

Let this be a lesson to other youngsters. FITTING AN ALARM ISN'T EASY. An example in order to mount the siren in the engine bay I would have to strip the bumper. I should imagine it's not that easy even for an experienced mechanic. Not cheap to replace if you break it as well which you I most centainly WILL

For me it was figuring out how to route cables and removing the trims that was the most time consuming since I have no automotive experience. The electronics side was easy but time consuming. VW charge an arm and a leg for the service manual. I had to make an educated guess based on previous polo's and electrical common sense.

Even after all the hard work am not too satisfied with my install because the cables aren't hidden properly in the dash. Also I wasn't able to wire up the parking lights because the newer polo's the lights are latched soft buttons. FLAMING CHEAPSKATES VW.

#11 ·
Well I did warn you,LOL like you when I was younger I wouldn't be beaten and went down the save loads of money route, been there, done that, and sod it let someone else do it now, tell you what is an easy fit, the personal pager, I fitted one on one of my cars it was great, anyone entering your car would set it off silently even if the alarm didn't trigger, had about a 1 mile radius signal I think, but lets face it even if out shopping you would never be more than that away as the crow flies, under £50 for a cheap one, well thats what mine cost 5yrs ago and on the fun side off it, because it was a radio transmitter it interfered with other car remotes, the fun I had in tesco's with alarms going off with people opening their cars with their keys with the alarms on or unable to lock their cars via the remote, not that I would do that again, anyway have fun and I think it was a falconi or falcon before you ask,LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.