Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
9K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  briano1234 
#1 ·
I decided to get rid of the a/c in my Rabbit convertible, and tried following the steps explained by a write up over at vwvortex (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2879839-A-C-Delete-on-a-Cabriolet-Remove-AC-compressor)

and I am stuck. I have removed the compresser, but not the mount which held it in place. It looks like there is just one more bolt holding it on. If my observations are correct the final threads of this bolt are visible when the top half of the timing belt cover is off.

Is this a bolt that holds up the compresser mount?
How do i get it off?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Don't know as I never have worked on a "York" style of compressor.
But from looking at the picks you would have to remove the lower timing cover to get to that stud headed bolt.
I will defer to those with more knowledge of the "YORK".

Here is a ETKA snap of it.

#4 ·
Yeah, the more I look at it I see that the compressor mount has the swivel mount for the alternator on it. Even if I did manage to take it off I don't see how I'd succure the alternator again....
It looks like I might just be leaving myself a little shelf in my engine bay... :/
That is, unless some one shows me what the heck I'm doing.
I appreciate the knowledge, and the diagram!

#5 ·
No that is a piece of cake. Get the bracket mount off any cabby that has the Sanden (round) compressor.

Here is what the sanden compressor, mount and bracket look like.

Compressor is under the Alternator and is ROUND or Rotary.

The Compressor and Alternator mount, big Iron Thing. Have to remove the 5 or 6mm allen via the timing cover. You shouldn't have to remove the rear timing cover tin to get to the other 13mm bolt that holds the bracket to the engine.
Then the 2 13mm bolts that hold the Bracket to the engine block via the water pump...., then pry that sucker out.

The Compressor bracket mount.

#7 ·
Yes, with a caveat, that you will need to place a washer on the back side of your alternator so that it will take up the empty space and not be pushed to the rear of the bracket when you tighten it.

#10 ·
You have to remove the lower timing cover. Which means that you have to remove all the drive belts the crank and the water pump pulley.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.