Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  a1machinista1 
#1 ·
Quick question: 1981 Caddy

I bought a vw power steering rack that was suppose to be a direct bolt in.

First: the housing was to big on the passenger side for the caddy bushing so I used a new drivers side Caddy bushing on the passenger side since it was a bigger ID.

Second: The shifter linkage will not fit on the rack I bought. It has the holes for the mounting studs but the housing is to big and the linkage wont sit back and down far enough.

Third: The steering knuckle does not fit on the rack I bought. The splines are 1mm to big.

So my question!! Is there a DIRECT bolt in steering rack for a 1981 Caddy? And if so what model and year do I get it out of.

#2 ·
I didn't think that the caddies came with power steering originally.

Yes all the situation you describe is or was a fact.
Now a 1984-1993 power steering rack for a manual tranny should work, the caveats are that the coupler used for the steering shaft differs
between the 89-90 year break 90's used a different set up for the airbag, and that the power steering rack to original rack the coupler differs greatly, and most folks just change the whole steering shaft.

The bracket for the shifters should be the same, and not give you any grief so I would suspect that your bracket wasn't welded on correctly or possibly bent.

I don't have any pictures of the rack that I had to replace on my 90... sorry, and now all I have are Automatics with no bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.