Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ryanmc9088 
#1 ·
Hi there, new to this group. We purchased a '67 Beetle and we are working on fixing her up. She ran great for the first couple of months but after leaving her over the Thanksgiving holiday, in which temperatures dropped lower than they had been something happened to her. Didn't drive for about a week, when we came home and I headed out to work, she started cold (as expected), but seemed to only get one good rev in and then as soon as I started to move and press the gas, nothing was happening. If I kept it revved up constantly, I could keep going. I did this for about 2 miles and realized it wasn't just cold and something was up.

My husband is very mechanically inclined (this is why we got this little beauty), this is our first Bug, but not our first VW, we also have had a Fox and currently have a Passat and he's worked on all of our cars. But he is a full-time student and works full-time and hasn't had the time to start tearing her apart to figure out what's going on. He adjusted the choke, that didn't work. He's thinking it may be something as simple as a fuel filter, he was going to change that today.

Anyone out there that has some experience with these guys have any suggestions where to start?

I'd love to get her back on the road again!

Thanks in advance for your time :drive:

See less See more
#2 ·
Is the carburetor equipped with an idle cut off valve? It's a cylindrical device that screws in on the lower left side of the carburetor with a wire that connects to terminal 15 on the coil. If there is one of these devices in place, turn on ignition, pull the wire off the valve, touch the valve connector with the wire end, there should be an audible click everytime it's touched. If not, pull the valve and cut the end off. Start the engine, it should idle. If there is no cut off valve there is another problem that will need to be addressed.

Ainokea

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.