Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  vader 
#1 ·
Hello, i am new to this forum and i just bought this 1973 Beetle earlier this month (1/17/13). I am new to VW but i know what to look for when i bought it, i.e rust, leaks, holes and so on... Body is overall in good shape and rust free. it has a couple of dents on the hood and fenders, but something that can more than likely be popped out. However, i am wanting to restore this and repaint it a different color. The Engine is seized and i will have my mechanic take a look at it (i am not mechanically inclined).

Any opinions as to where i should start? I am still debating if i want to start sanding the car down OR let a professional take care of that... I began by starting to order the weather strips i will be needing later. I am ordering a couple each week.

Please let me know ideas, comments or any advice! thanks again!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Yellow

See less See more
#2 ·
If you gonna restore your bug you need to deside to what extent you want to restore it. Is it just a spray and interiour job or are you going full hog and split the body and pan, strip and apply anti-rust to the pan, replace pan seals, referb mechanicals, wiring, window rubbers etc.. I havent seen many restoration project here but if you want to check some out they guys here in SA have quite a few project going and doumented. Check out http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewforum.php?f=23 you will be able to get an idea of what is involved. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.