VW GOLF· no spark·VW GOLF OWNERS CLUB FORUM
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: no spark

Junior Member jokemonkey is a jewel in the rough jokemonkey's Avatar
    Thanks

NO SPARK needs ECU-ECM

2001 golf 2.0 5speed GL. no spark, fuse29 15a blown . I replaced the fuse and the same results. I did not pay attention to wether it blows as the ignition is turned on or while cranking. I'm away from home so i'm on my way to get more fuses,, a test light, and a volt ohm meter. someone wave a wand and make those elusive electrons reappear! I'm 58 was a vw/porsche mech. in the late 70's but went to deliver at fedex for 20yrs, so i'm only semi clueless. Thanx in advance . Jack
    Last edited by jokemonkey; 12-03-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: DRAW IN MORE ANSWERS

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Junior Member aanderson is just really nice aanderson's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: no spark

Is it throwing any codes? It could be voltage regulator.

Thanks

Hey, I was born in pittsburgh in 54 and lived there till 65.....The incline, gum bands, Isles chipped ham..yeah. there is more to the story but i was trying to go simple. Got the car from a neighbor and all that was wrong was a recurring dead battery issue. I had a fleet type mechanic friend install a battery but still a no start. the prior owner had road service jump it 2x with no problems. so... I'm in oregon and the car is in reno. I have it towed to the vw dealer thinking it need a reflash, lost memory,codes ect. Turns out ...4 bent intake valves and the timing belt out of index by about 1/4 turn. but the belt pullys and tensioner all seem fine. I order and install a rebuilt head, belt kit, waterpump tensioner. install goes fine all timing marks lineup triple checked and tensioner within range. go to start and no spark, and i find the fuse thing. went to the parts store and got some fuses and test lamps to ck it out tomorrow am... Its my understanding that disconnecting the battery causes all kind of issues including loosing the codes... I'm in reno now and this will be my ride home ,i hope. Thanx in advance to any and all. Plz excuse my typos ect , im on my daughters macbook and im old school pc with mouse ect...jack

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jokemonkey View Post
    I did not pay attention to wether it blows as the ignition is turned on or while cranking.
    ^^ find this out.

also, here's this diagram if you don't have a copy of it already (see if it matches your layout). slot #29 does not look like one that you'd want to be dealing with:
    (swiped from vortex)

welcome to the VWOC and good luck.
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Monsters, Gorilla Skin + Legos & Steel Toes

Thanks

Yes that is the correct pannel, fuse 29 (15a) blows by just turning the key to on.

Quite.
    djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Remove the ECU, see if it still happens. If not, ecu shorted. If it keeps happening, investigate wiring from fuse box to ecu
    4 wheels:
    14 Fiesta ST / 93 525i
    2 wheels:
    03 CBR954RR / 05 Buell Blast

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

^^ good tip, dj.

also, just to be clear. when you disconnect the battery on these vehicles, the ecu does not lose any information or settings that are vital to have the vehicle operating properly. you will however lose some DTCs and possibly the Radio station programming, etc. on the newer vehicles, some other engine mapping coding will be lost, however, the ecm will learn these functions after being routinely driven for a few days.

Thanks

Remember my last bosh school was in 1980......soooo just unplug the ECU(engine control unit?) where is it located? I'll ck my semi-worthless Haynes book. should have tried to find a bentley book. i'm not a fan of cd books as they are worthless when your on the side of Interstate 80. Then again a AAA card is more useful than duct tape and mechanics wire on these cars .

Thanks

Is the ECU and ECM one in the same?

Thanks

yeah, i just don't know which is in your vehicle. it's one or the other. or you could just call it 'computer'...

Thanks

HI...I have the wipers off but i can't seem to find the clips that are on the end of the plastic cowl by the fenders . Haynes referes you to photo 11.4 that they neglected to print. I can see the ecu under the cowl on the drivers side. Pry bars not an option, windshield to close.

Thanks

I got the cowl off. no clips by the fender, just a full t&g arrangement. The control unit is under the center of the windshield, and on the drivers side is a white enclosed box. Is this just a harness bulkhead to get the wires thru the firewall?

Thanks

see if this seimple video helps:
    + YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    Last edited by le0n; 12-02-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks

Thanx. I unplugged the ecu and the fuse does not blow. so good news. i'd rather change the ecu than chase down 100' of wiring harness. Where should i shop for another ecu? used, remanf, on-line? I'm thinking that they are very car specific. Will a re-flash or up-load be required. I'm in Reno, Nv . Thanx Jack

Thanks

i would think they are vehicle specific, so i'd hit a dealership up on this.

perhaps someone else can chime in on this?

also, keffer (vw dealership in NC) has something worth looking into because it almost seems unbelievable, however, components go on clearance sometimes: http://keffervwparts.com/parts/2001/...&component=ECM

definitely worth a call.

Thanks

Volk$wagen $915- $1150. Found one online, used of course $60. 90 day warranty,blah blah blah. I'll need to research the problems that it may cause. Will i need to mt its current problem codes ect,ect. Anyone been down this road?

Thanks

on keffer they show four different versions:
    - california with cruise
    - california without cruise
    - federal with cruise
    - federal without cruise

which one is yours?

Thanks

Calif. no cruise, #06A 906 018 ET. THANX JACK

Thanks

i'd go with the used if it has some type of warranty that it will work. i believe the unit will have to be coded to your keys for security reasons. ask the vw dealership service department what is involved with the replacement and could you use a "used" unit.

Thanks

Used unit on the way and will be here wed. The best non dealer shop in town will do the deed for $180. The dealership won't touch USED! Thanx to each and all for your input. I'll let you know how it turns out. Jack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast