Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

how do you recline the front passenger seat all the way?

81K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  benb918 
#1 ·
is there a way?

#2 ·
My front driver's seat is power operated while the passenger is manual. I have not been able to get either to recline more than airplane seat. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a way to fix this? Sometimes I like to take naps, so it would be nice if both could recline all the way back.

#3 ·
"German car are design to be driven not to sleep in it!"
I read that a few years ago in a forum, since i bought my first VW 4 years ago, I understand the engineering thinking of this comment!
Above this, I read too that German engineer comment about the fact they have to incorporate a drinking tray holder for North American who required it and for them again the car purpose is to be driven ...
But I do understand your wish.

#7 ·
I don't quite understand the passenger side case??
safety first. it's hard to provide protection you if you are the front passenger reclined into a sleep position. think of the rear passengers, if you were allowed to recline that far, it would introduce a nice soft head rest for them to gently rest their face against while passing the time in an auto accident.

#8 ·
Yes, when I originally posted the thread I only noticed at that time that the passenger seat did not recline. My s/o also likes to nap on long road trips. I noticed the other day when I attempted to take a nap after not feeling well that the driver side also does not recline.

#10 ·
I do not think someone would be reclining the seat if passengers are in the back, especially while driving. My s/o used to drive a Jetta years ago and the front seats fully reclined so I am baffled as to why the Tiguan seats do not.

I am planning to test drive used cars (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Edge) because of this and other things I am not happy with.

#11 · (Edited)
I do not think someone would be reclining the seat if passengers are in the back, especially while driving.
^^ i vaguely recall doing stupid stuff in high school, not because i shouldn't have, but because some product designs did not hinder stupid actions.

also, i've heard of the bolts that attach seats to the floor being broken in accidents. if bolts can break with those types of forces, what's going to keep a small metal click-tab mechanism from doing the same thing?

what if for some reason that same mechanism malfunctions while you are trying to change the angle of the drivers seat, while driving. for instance, sometimes i adjust the rabbits seat after letting someone in the back seats; get to driving down the road and it will "click" into place and move back almost an inch. little things like this can be enough of a distraction to cause an accident.

ever notice how slow/difficult the recline adjustments are on the rabbit? it makes me never want to adjust it. once it is set, it stays that way.

edit: here's an example of why they shouldn't recline (even if there are no passengers in the back): http://www.patandjerry.com/2009/09/dont-recline-your-seat-when-car-is_10.html

#18 ·
well, for the most part, we learn from the mistakes we've made in the past. now you'll really pay attention for this while vehicle shopping.

i can assure you that you aren't the only one bothered with this. i can also assure you that car manufacturers don't care to be sued for millions of dollars at a time. so, as long as there are stupid people and greedy lawyers in this world, this "feature" you so desire just may be on the path to extinction.

get it while you can :)

#22 ·
Screw reclining, I'm pissed at how little the front seat moves back on its tracks.

I am 6'3" and have long legs. When I move the seat back to the max I still feel cramped - yet there is a good 6-8" of travel left before the front would bump up against the back.

What gives?

#24 ·
I was planning to buy a Tiguan 2014 and as sea did i'm also bothered with this stupid passenger seat made by volkswagen.

Also i have noticed that both options have the same problem, the basic Tiguan without leather seats have the same lever on the passenger seat, the difference is only in the driver seat, one is manual, rotating, and the other with leather works with electric adjustment.

AND i couldn't find another volkswagen car with this same annoyance. VW Touareg has electric seats for both driver and passenger, Golf mk7 and beatle both have the rotating system and can be folded normally. Neither jetta or passat.

I can understand that some things could be not so relevant to some people, but sometimes it could be important for others, so if you don't have nothing relevant to add, please don't loose your time answering.

Maybe who knows the germans could resolve this thing for the next year or next gerenation. I hope so. And i would like to know if its possible to easily change the passenger seat for another one.

#25 ·
I'm having the same problem I have a 2006 V wagon passat and my power seat on the driver side I can put that seatcompletely flat I can't even get my passenger seat to move at all with the lever manually.. The manual lever on the passenger seat,you can push it down or pull it up it does nothing in my car I bought it used.. Does anyone know how to adjust the back of the passenger seat..