how do you recline the front passenger seat all the way?
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how do you recline the front passenger seat all the way?

Junior Member sea is a jewel in the rough sea's Avatar
    Thanks

how do you recline the front passenger seat all the way?

is there a way?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: how do you recline the front passenger seat all the way?

My front driver's seat is power operated while the passenger is manual. I have not been able to get either to recline more than airplane seat. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a way to fix this? Sometimes I like to take naps, so it would be nice if both could recline all the way back.

Member adrenaline is a glorious beacon of light adrenaline's Avatar
    Thanks

"German car are design to be driven not to sleep in it!"
    I read that a few years ago in a forum, since i bought my first VW 4 years ago, I understand the engineering thinking of this comment!
    Above this, I read too that German engineer comment about the fact they have to incorporate a drinking tray holder for North American who required it and for them again the car purpose is to be driven ...
    But I do understand your wish.

Thanks

Disappointing. I never thought to check the seats before buying. Are there any remedies for this?

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

nap on the roof:
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Monsters, Gorilla Skin + Legos & Steel Toes

Thanks

BTW both front seat don't recline completely, again it's German engineering! I don't quite understand the passenger side case??

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    I don't quite understand the passenger side case??
    safety first. it's hard to provide protection you if you are the front passenger reclined into a sleep position. think of the rear passengers, if you were allowed to recline that far, it would introduce a nice soft head rest for them to gently rest their face against while passing the time in an auto accident.

Thanks

Yes, when I originally posted the thread I only noticed at that time that the passenger seat did not recline. My s/o also likes to nap on long road trips. I noticed the other day when I attempted to take a nap after not feeling well that the driver side also does not recline.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by le0n View Post
    safety first. it's hard to provide protection you if you are the front passenger reclined into a sleep position. think of the rear passengers, if you were allowed to recline that far, it would introduce a nice soft head rest for them to gently rest their face against while passing the time in an auto accident.
    Good point ;-)

Thanks

I do not think someone would be reclining the seat if passengers are in the back, especially while driving. My s/o used to drive a Jetta years ago and the front seats fully reclined so I am baffled as to why the Tiguan seats do not.

I am planning to test drive used cars (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Edge) because of this and other things I am not happy with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sea View Post
    I do not think someone would be reclining the seat if passengers are in the back, especially while driving.
    ^^ i vaguely recall doing stupid stuff in high school, not because i shouldn't have, but because some product designs did not hinder stupid actions.

also, i've heard of the bolts that attach seats to the floor being broken in accidents. if bolts can break with those types of forces, what's going to keep a small metal click-tab mechanism from doing the same thing?

what if for some reason that same mechanism malfunctions while you are trying to change the angle of the drivers seat, while driving. for instance, sometimes i adjust the rabbits seat after letting someone in the back seats; get to driving down the road and it will "click" into place and move back almost an inch. little things like this can be enough of a distraction to cause an accident.

ever notice how slow/difficult the recline adjustments are on the rabbit? it makes me never want to adjust it. once it is set, it stays that way.

edit: here's an example of why they shouldn't recline (even if there are no passengers in the back): http://www.patandjerry.com/2009/09/d...car-is_10.html
    Last edited by le0n; 02-12-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Guru Member NZTIGUAN has much to be proud of NZTIGUAN's Avatar
    Thanks

I do not think someone would be reclining the seat if passengers are in the back, especially while driving. My s/o used to drive a Jetta years ago and the front seats fully reclined so I am baffled as to why the Tiguan seats do not.

I am planning to test drive used cars (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Edge) because of this and other things I am not happy with.
    And what do you think that will tell you, other than the fact that the engineers of those vehicles may have been less safety orientated and working with an older set of rules and regulations than the ones that worked on the Tiguan. The Tiguan is the safest vehicle in its class and I for one would have safety over ridiculous things like letting people recline their seats while you're driving. Why do you think they make you put your "seat in the upright position" when landing and taking off in an aircraft ?? Yes their seat "will" recline but you're not allowed to have them reclined when there's a chance of an accident. In a motor vehicle the possibility of an accident is when you're moving, so it seems eminently sensible to me that seats remain in a position where the seat belt can help save you rather than kill you !!

Mind you, I guess it could be said that the older seats that do recline fully are available to those looking for Darwin awards.

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    New Zealand
    www.alexandra.co.nz
    On my second Tiguan, 2013, TDi, Night Blue, Park Assist 2, RCD510, Bluetooth, auto wipers and lights, fogs, tow pack.

Thanks

I am looking for seats that recline while the car is parked, which I do not think is unsafe or too much to ask for.

Thanks

bottom line, ford designers keep that option because they know that they would lose sales...

Guru Member NZTIGUAN has much to be proud of NZTIGUAN's Avatar
    Thanks

I am looking for seats that recline while the car is parked, which I do not think is unsafe or too much to ask for.
    Presumably the VW Engineers disagree with you.

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    New Zealand
    www.alexandra.co.nz
    On my second Tiguan, 2013, TDi, Night Blue, Park Assist 2, RCD510, Bluetooth, auto wipers and lights, fogs, tow pack.

Fahrvergnugen acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator's Avatar
    Thanks
    If that's such an important feature, it could have easily been verified prior to perchasing the vehicle.
    - Nic

2006 Uni Black Rabbit

4 door - 5 spd - UM tune - Neuspeed P-flo - Eurojet exhaust - Koni yellow - DG Springs - Fogs - Euro tails - Borbet Monte Carlo (autoX) - Ronal Goals (summer) - SSM Magny Cours (winter) - Hatch pop kit - iPod adapter

Thanks

Seems logical, but I never had a car where the seats did not recline so it is not something I thought to check before purchasing. I find it hard to believe I am the only one bothered by this.

Thanks

well, for the most part, we learn from the mistakes we've made in the past. now you'll really pay attention for this while vehicle shopping.

i can assure you that you aren't the only one bothered with this. i can also assure you that car manufacturers don't care to be sued for millions of dollars at a time. so, as long as there are stupid people and greedy lawyers in this world, this "feature" you so desire just may be on the path to extinction.

get it while you can

Thanks

I am not sure the reason has much to do with safety. What really stinks is to have a huge sunroof and coach class seats.

Thanks

you can always modify your front seat/s to do whatever you want them to do.

it is far from rocket science.

I am not sure the reason has much to do with safety.
    call VWOA and ask. it's a free call.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast