Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  thedopefishlives 
#1 ·
I know my Rabbit, rest her soul, is dead and gone, but this question is still bugging me a little bit and I could use some closure on it. Every so often, when turning left, I'd have the left turn signal on and all of a sudden, it would stop blinking. Both the indicator light and the actual blinker would behave very erratically, rapidly flickering on and off as if something was loose or grounding against something. If I turned the left signal off and back on again, within 2 or 3 tries it would come back to normal and stay that way for a little while. Sometimes I would go weeks between incidents, sometimes it would occur on the very next left turn. Would this be a stalk problem, or is there wiring in the steering column that was possibly being disturbed? It seemed to be related to steering wheel movement.

#2 ·
i would guess it to be a wiring issue. if they were in line of receiving any friction (against metal or themselves), you could easily close an electrical circuit. if there were some bare wires present, it would be like a switch bypass...

#3 ·
Sounds like a bad 4 way switch or the flasher unit.
I don't think it was a bad ground or signal wire.

The turns are funny that they use the same blinker relay to power the 4-way and the turns, and that the Turns are routed through the 4-way switch.
But it is a hell of a lot better than the US did by wiring the 4-way's to the brake lights, that if you step on the brakes the 4-ways stop working... :)

#4 ·
Well, the reason I suggested it might be a wire or ground issue is because the right turn signal and the 4-way flashers worked 100% reliably every single time. It was only the left signal and all the times it went flaky occurred while the steering wheel was being turned - although not every turn caused the issue, of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.