VW Rabbit Forum " PRNDS...All lights lit up!" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PRNDS...All lights lit up!

Senior Member Jethro1984 has much to be proud of Jethro1984's Avatar
    Thanks

PRNDS...All lights lit up!

Hi everyone,

Been awhile since I stopped by. I've recently had a problem develop with my 2008 Rabbit. It was only once in awhile and now it's happening almost every time I drive the car. I'll start the car and then at some point while driving all the gear indicators will light up. If i'm in drive mode it's PRNDS that light up, and if i'm in manual mode with 123456, the screen will switch to PRNDS and they will all light up. They are not flashing, just all solid. Based on a little research and what I could find, it seems to possibly be related to the magnets and the sliding position sensor piece that is attached to the shifter handle.

Can anyone confirm that this might be the problem? How do I check this (lift the trim in the shifter or something). And if that's the problem, does anyone know the part number of the piece I need to buy or have the dealer replace. I've just gone out of warranty about 3000 miles ago so I'd like to replace the part myself if possible (although i'm not a super handy guy).

Any relevant info is appreciated. I have a photo if need be although this one from a beetle is the same thing i'm seeing.

Thanks.
    Jeff

My co-pilot rides in the upper left corner of my dash. She lets me know if i'm doing bad driving!

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    you know your driving a rabbit when someone says "what octane carrot that thing take?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: PRNDS...All lights lit up!

we saw this just the other day. someone's rabbit was doing the same thing. it ended up being a MAP sensor.

you'll need someone with vagcom (or the dealership) to scan for faults...

edit: http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/s...ps-doing-this?
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Monsters, Gorilla Skin + Legos & Steel Toes

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I just got off work and I think i'm going to try to drive it up to the dealership now. It didn't do it at all on the way to work or from work (about 15 miles each way). It seems to only do it when i'm heading to or from my gym...how odd right?

I don't think it's going to be the MAP sensor because i'm getting readings from the MAP to my ScanGauge, which I always have set to show the MAP. Even when the problem is occurring, ScanGauge says "2 codes stored" and then immediately changes to "No Codes Found - Ready".
    Jeff

My co-pilot rides in the upper left corner of my dash. She lets me know if i'm doing bad driving!

you know your driving a rabbit when someone says "what octane carrot that thing take?"

Guru Member BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK's Avatar
    Thanks
    With all of the lights lit up, that means there is a fault in the trans module.

Sent via mail pigeon using Tapatalk
    I LIKE TO PUT RIDICULOUSLY BIG PICTURES IN MY SIG.

blast my nuts
    08 Golf ; 03 F350; 86 K5 Blazer
    00 TDI Jetta ; 10 Charger; 87 Toyota Pickup
    87 Golf; 89 4Runner; 94 Kawi Vulcan

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro1984 View Post
    I don't think it's going to be the MAP sensor because i'm getting readings from the MAP to my ScanGauge, which I always have set to show the MAP. Even when the problem is occurring, ScanGauge says "2 codes stored" and then immediately changes to "No Codes Found - Ready".
    ^^ probably not, because you have the 08 model with a MAF sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGREEK View Post
    With all of the lights lit up, that means there is a fault in the trans module.
    ^^ true...

Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    The airflow/map sensor is directly related to the ABS, transmission, and engine modules. This is one of the few instances where there isn't an actual transmission problem but a VERY, VERY important sensor may have failed which is directly related to shift quality and ABS/ESP operation.
    OP didn't mention any symptoms regarding shift/drive quality.

Thanks

Okay,

The dealership was able to scan and retrieve a stored code from the computer. They didn't say what the code was only that it was a tranny solenoid. The tech notes for the repair are "Found fault for Solenoid 2 N89//Test Drove and Operates Properly//Inspected wiring and found terminal 12 on transmission connector bent and pushed in.

I guess they replaced the solenoid, wires, and connector with a total cost of 137.43 parts and labor. The service advisor stated that if it does not fix the problem or if it returns, they will replace the transmission valve body under that 100,000 mile recall warranty.

This was the first time I had to have something fixed out of warranty other than a CV boot (my CPL expired at 74000). I'm also brand new to this area so I don't have my old service advisor that I know I could rely on so I have no idea what the story actually was but hopefully this will take care of the problem.

As a side note...WTH is a transmission soldenoid? What does it do?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jethro1984; 10-26-2012 at 09:28 AM.
    Jeff

Thanks

that's good you got it taken care of.

also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_solenoid

Thanks

Interesting....perhaps I should have utilized Wiki myself...duh! I guess I was just tired after being at work all night and driving an hour to the dealership, 4 hours there, and then back home. I was up 21 hours total.

Thanks everyone.
    Jeff

Thanks

Unfortunately, this problem has returned as of late. The dealership had replaced the #2 transmission solenoid (now I wonder if there was anything wrong with it). Their parting statement was that if the problem continued or returned, they would replace the throttle body valve under the recall warranty extension.

My question is: Could this issue cause the PRNDS problem (with no limp mode)? If not, what else could it be.

I'm considering taking it to the other VW dealer in the area. I've had the soldenoid service at 1 (was not super impressed) and the 80K at the other (much better). But the solenoid dealer is the one who advised me that they would replace the valve body so I assume I should go to them as they will have the back story on everything.

For Nitro...how long does this replacement take and is this a commonly stocked part or should I schedule now and ask them to order one ahead of time?
    Jeff

+ Reply to Thread