Help please error code 17748 Camshaft Position Senor golf v5
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help please error code 17748 Camshaft Position Senor golf v5

New Member aidan1988 is a jewel in the rough aidan1988's Avatar
    Thanks

Help please error code 17748 Camshaft Position Senor golf v5

Hi guys,

I hope you can help.

I bought a 2001 golf v5 from a car dealership in Wakefield 3weeks ago. Upon test driving the car the engine management light came on with afault stating misfire on cylinder 2, this I understand was due to a dodgy coilpack, so they changed this and the light came off.

Given i thought all the problems were sorted i decided tobuy the car for £1650, the car is in excellent condition will full leatherseats. I love the car in honesty. However the car started to misfire andstarted to cut out last week. I took it to a friend who code read it, it cameback with 17748 camshaft position sensor. He subsequently gave it a fullservice which didn’t seem to make a difference.

I decided to take the car back to the garage, they have beengreat about it, they have taken it to their mechanic and have changed bothcamshaft sensors which seems to fixed the misfiring and poor idle. In allhonesty it seems to be running fine.

However the engine management light has returned with the17748 code, I am now worried there is an issue with the chain or something moreserious.

I have now been left with 2 options, firstly my money back orI take the car and hope for the best. I was just keen to get some advice to seewhat the possible issues are and whether I am better just getting a fullrefund. Just gutted, as I have just serviced and taxed it.

As it is running fine should i take the risk and hope it doesn’tdevelop into anything further?

If the chain is stretched would there be any other symptoms?

Will it just get progressively worse?

Any help would be massively appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Help please error code 17748 Camshaft Position Senor golf v5

your best bet would be to have a true VW tech diagnose it. it may cost you a little bit, however, just consider it an investment towards a better decision. you may end up dumping it after the vw tech reports back to you, however, it could save you a lot of money and frustration in the end. plus, said report can be given back to the people who sold it to you.

welcome to the VWOC and good luck...

edit: in the mean time, take it back to the people you purchased it from and let them know it happened again. there is no reason they should not know. you may want to ask them to pick up the tab to have the dealer look at it, being that you paid to get it serviced/taxed...
    Last edited by le0n; 10-22-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Monsters, Gorilla Skin + Legos & Steel Toes

+ Reply to Thread