VW CC Forum: 2012 CC oil consumption·Volkswagen CC Owners Club|VWOC
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2012 CC oil consumption

New Member k98dave is a jewel in the rough k98dave's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2012 CC oil consumption

Good luck with all this. BTW did you go to your dealer and have them add the extra oil when it needed it? That would have provided their own records of how often your car required extra oil and it it would help your case it you decide to go that way.

Years ago I had a claim against Chevy on the Vega. They had oil burning issue (I mean trailing smoke out the exhaust) about a QT in 500 miles. That was at 13000 miles back when warranty was 12mo/12k. Seems the genius's went with the alum block with no steel liners plus the block had no deck! By that I mean if you were looking straight down at the block the cylinders were free standing in the casting except at the very bottom so coolant would circulate all around them. The head formed the top deck. Problem was this design resulted in the cylinders warping or flexing so the pistons would scuff and that was it for the alum. Oil would just stream past the rings.
    Long story short.....even after court best offer was they would (1) replace the block at my labor cost. (2) I could buy a new short block and they would install it for free. Both offers were crap but with GM's lawyers that's what I wound up with. I took the short block and worked a deal with a dealer tech. that had his own home shop and he did the job for 1/2 of the dealers price. That was my last GM product.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

We're Geekin' DUSlider has a reputation beyond reputeDUSlider has a reputation beyond reputeDUSlider has a reputation beyond reputeDUSlider has a reputation beyond reputeDUSlider has a reputation beyond reputeDUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see how anyone could compare any car made in the last 10 years to a Vega...
    UG 2008 4dr Auto, Sunroof, ESP, Votex Ground Effects Kit.

Mods: Stubby Antenna, Clear Sidemarkers, Euro Switch , OEM Projector Fog Lights, C2 93 Flash, BSH Intake, A3 Leather Shift Knob, GTI OEM HIDs, Tinted Euro R32 Tails, Eurojet Exhaust, H&R 24mm RSB, Jetta Wolfsburg FE swap, Eibach Sportline springs and Koni Str.T shocks, VW Euro OEM Leather Steering wheel, 17" VW OEM Anthracite Goals.

New Member k98dave is a jewel in the rough k98dave's Avatar
    Thanks

Not comparing to the Vega, just an experience of how going to court didn't work out.

I have been checking oil level weekly and had less than 1/2 qt down after 6k miles.

Junior Member GayleShier is a jewel in the rough GayleShier's Avatar
    Thanks

i am wondered to get the fact that whether the car may be looking sound by the design but not mandate it is that it is coming with the well engineered engine as well .. now i am thinking how it can be possible ?

Junior Member onephatguy is a jewel in the rough onephatguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, pretty good discussion. I'll have to monitor my usage, but I don't see how it could be any worse than my previous car. Mazda RX-8 BTW.

New Member Shawn1024 is a jewel in the rough Shawn1024's Avatar
    Thanks

I picked up my 2013 CC last September & have put 10K on the car to date. My last car was a 2007 GTI (90K miles when sold). Both cars are running the 2.0L Turbo. The GTI would use a quart every 3k miles or so. The same is true with my CC. After reading about this a few years ago, it's well known that 2.0L Turbo uses some oil between oil changes. Some consume more oil than others from what I have read. Both engines have never blown blue smoke (oil burn) so I know the oil isn't being burnt internally. I have been very happy with the 2.0L Turbo and the performance it delivers.

Good luck.

New Member volks76 is a jewel in the rough volks76's Avatar
    Thanks

Get an oil catch can installed there are a few available for direct bolt on that will stop build up in your intake and BLUE smoke
    Same time get your valves cleaned preventive maintenance car will run better and the catch can will stop the build up from happening again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Junior Member Georgex42 is a jewel in the rough Georgex42's Avatar
    Thanks

I had an srt4 and used to burn oil aswell another thing is if by our driving a turbo vehicle and your changing oil every 10k and you expect the oil to be the same your out of your mind change every 6k and you won't have an issue or go buy a natural aspirated motor

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Junior Member Georgex42 is a jewel in the rough Georgex42's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a CC now change my oil Evey 5k never had any issues

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Junior Member carguy is just really nice carguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    Do any of you guys have a problem with oil burning? I am having to add 3 quarts of synthetic between changes. An engineer with automotive experience is informing me that this is excessive consumption for a relatively new (2012) car.
    Your CC has a problem somewhere that needs to get addressed quickly.

Do you still qualify for the powertrain warranty? If, so just take your CC to a dealership and have it repaired.

If not, then I would quickly trade that car in for something else very soon
    2010 Light Brown Metallic CC 3.6
    DRL Led Mod
    AFE Pro S Dry performance filter
    ECS Jack pad adapter kit
    Hankook Ventus V4 ES tires

New Member bigsteve74 is a jewel in the rough bigsteve74's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't have any issues with my 2010 cc sport burning/losing any oil, but my 2014 exec has 6K on it now and I have had to top it off - 1/2 qt or so...

New Member DlDeines is a jewel in the rough DlDeines's Avatar
    Thanks

My first car was a '73 Vega so I understand oil burning issues. Since then I've bought understated performance sedans almost exclusively. I want to change my oil frequently, and change my tires every 25K miles regardless of wear, so some of the complaints I read on here fall on deaf ears.

Recent experience:

2012 CC Sport 2.0L DSG, 60K miles. Put fresh oil and filter in it and proceeded to drive to Toronto and back (~3000 mi or 4800 km). Drove pretty hard. On our return the engine needs about 1 quart of oil. I do not consider this to be excessive oil consumption. True, I've had other cars that didn't consume oil at all (Lincoln LS V6, Ford V8 SHO, Saab 9-5) but this is nothing compared to some of the other cars I've had (Ford V6 SHO, Ford V6 Probe, Mitsubishi Diamante).

I'm not sure what some people's expectations for this car are. Do you just want a quick eye catching sedan that you don't have to deal with for 10K mile service intervals? Or do you want a car you can interact with and appreciate for it's own unique capabilities? I've got a Toyota FJ for bounding around the countryside. I have very different expectations for that vehicle than the CC.

So, the CC requires a little more personal attention versus some generic Hyundai/Buick/Chevy. If you don't appreciate and embrace the quirks of your CC, you should probably be driving one of those generic PODS instead.

New Member izabell is a jewel in the rough izabell's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi TomM,

I am very curious to see what happen with your case, because I have a 2012 Tiguan and have an issue with the oil too. I bought it with 5000 miles certified pre owned, I took it to the 10K complimentary oil change to the dealership and according to them everything was ok. The problem started at the 18,400 miles when the oil pressure light came on and a message to turn the engine off, I did turn it off and check the oil and it marked no oil, as I am a women I was not sure if I was measuring the oil right so I called the dealership... to make the story short when the dealership service dept checked the report said "FOUND NO OIL IN THE SYSTEM" ... and they just added oil and tried to convince me that the oil was burnt and that that was normal.... I couldn't understand.. but I am not a mechanic... so I just had to accept it! so they ask me to came back again to the 2nd complimentary oil change at the 20,000 miles which I did and they did not mention anything about missing oil, so I went on hoping the problem has ended but just recently at 27,500 miles the oil light turned on again... same thing took it to dealearship report found oil very low added 4 ( i guess quarts because it is not stated in the invoice received). Right now I am frustrated because I did not know I had to be adding oil before the recommended oil change period (10K) ... oooh but they say it is stated in the owners manual... Now they recommended an oil consumption test which consist in taking the car to be inspected every 630 miles so they can document how much oil is burnt and after 3000 miles they are going to send the report to VW and is going to be up to them to decide if the consumption of oil is normal. I do not know what to do! that is why I wanted to see what happen with TomM and his case! I really dont have money and time for more problems I am a mother of two kids, one with a disability and I am very busy and dont have time for this...... please help!

Junior Member TomM is just really nice TomM's Avatar
    Thanks

Hello Izabell:

If your are burning 4 quarts of oil in 7500 miles you definitely have defective vehicle. If you don't have the resources to sue VW, check with your state Dept of Consumer Protection or Attorney General to see if there is a Lemon Law (most states have them) that will provide you with free help. If you don't want the hassle of going through the Lemon Law procedure, trade this car in and get another make. Almost everything you say the VW mechanics told you is simply untrue and intended to pacify you. From an engineering perspective, there is no justification for such oil consumption in a new or nearly new vehicle.

New Member izabell is a jewel in the rough izabell's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you TomM ! I would also like to know if this defect is only in my vehicle or if there are other Tiguan owners with the same oil consumption problem! I just need more help to decide what to do! I live in Texas and there is a Lemon law but it seems it will be hard to go down that road the law seems almost favorable to dealerships instead of the regular public.

Junior Member CP'OD is a jewel in the rough CP'OD's Avatar
    Thanks

First post here - thanks for having me - quick details, I have a '11 CC Sport 2.0T with about 33K on the clock. When running properly is absolutely the most engaging vehicle I've owned (and I've had over 20, wide range of makes and models).

@izabell - I absolutely agree that you should, pronto, while covered - escalate this as a mechanical failure. I'd wager you have piston seal blow by burning up oil (unless you have a mess under your car). While it IS normal for the 2.0T to use a bit of oil between changes - not THAT much!! I also would not want to own a car that had run completely dry twice... long-term reliability has been seriously compromised IMO.

My CC is in for the same issue. I bought it with just over 20K. I asked then about the oil burning issue that my friend with a Jetta GLI mentioned - having to add 1qt for every 1000miles - but his had 150K on the clock and is 8yrs old. They told me, yeah they burn a little - but as new as mine is - nothing even close to that amount.

So after ~6months and about 6K miles I had them go ahead and change oil and filter (dealer) - I specifically asked if I'd lost any (none they said) - and if it looked ok - (told that the synth looks the same after a few hundred miles as it does after 10K. Well... after that change, I started burning oil bad - noticing smoke at idle that grew VERY noticeable as throttle increased - rechecked after 1500miles and I was down 1.5qts... WTH? Ah - also, at the same time the oil consumption started (about 29K) my city mpg suddenly dropped by more than half - from around 22-25 (depending upon foot) - down to 11-14 (with a very light foot trying to mediate the issue). No improvement in mpg driving like Miss Daisy - so it now sits awaiting some sort of fix. I absolutely LOVE the car - but it has been a total nightmare in the short time I've had her.

I have several very knowledgeable engineer friends with a passion for this motor as well. They swear by a catch-can, using Motul brand synthetic oil, and changing it every 5K along with filter and engine intake filter. I only run "Tier 1" rated premium 93 octane fuel from the same place I have always bought it - and all service has been done were it was purchased. Zero modifications made to the car. I have a feeling my engine (and yours izabell) is toast - requiring either a total tear down rebuild or replacement.

That's just one of the 99 problems I'm having with this one sadly. Don't get me started about the DSG...

Hopefully this proves useful input. Again, thanks for hosting a very useful forum!

Junior Member SlinkyI is a jewel in the rough SlinkyI's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay, so it's my turn to chime in here.

Driving from Nashua, New Hampshire to Virginia Beach, Virginia during the holiday 3 weeks ago and my 2012 VW CC R-line does a christmas tree light display on my dash and then gives me in all red: Engine Oil Pressure//ENGINE OFF.

Pulled over and had it towed to the dealership in Dover, Delaware. Ready for this??? After 5 hours of Diagnostics, they tell me the VACUUM Pump behind the fuel filter developed an OIL Leak and exhausted all the oil from the engine. This then means that the TURBO is fried. Oh, and I have 56,337 miles on it now, so about just under 4k for the Drivetrain Warranty.

Thankfully, I purchased an EXTENDED Warranty on the car, knowing VW's are expensive to repair and I don't have that money laying around.

After pulling the drain pan and seeing the oil remaining looking like a metallic paint job, they say the engine is condemned.

Warranty company is replacing the ENGINE of the car. I can't WAIT to sell this thing.

Have I loved the car? YES!

Love the drive? YES!

Loved every mile since I purchased it with 111 miles on it? Oh yeah...

Hate the fact the wheel alignment causes excess tire wear (replaced my first set at 22K miles)? YES!

Hate the fact that with the 2.0L Turbo 4-cyl VW is KNOWN to have CARBON Build-Up Issues every 30K miles?! YES! YES! YES!

Any help from VW with my issues? NO!

Last VW I'll ever buy? YES! YES! YES!

Hello Subaru... All wheel drive and loaded for under $30K??!?!?! What the hell. Yes, no "joy" of a volkswagen, but no repair bill EITHER!
    SOLD MY VW.

now, how to delete this VWOC account... hmmmmmmmm

Junior Member TomM is just really nice TomM's Avatar
    Thanks

Well folks, my paid for VW service ran out so as planned, I shopped for a comparable, non-VW/Audi car and came up with the Ford Fusion 2.0 ltr, direct injected turbocharged I-4 making 240 hp which is 40 more than my CC makes. After a bit of shopping and then some dickering, I got the new car for a good price and a fair price for the CC so I will not be suing VW as was my plan B. I am fed up with VW and their anti-consumer attitudes: Some are stupid little things like the special, one use only oil drain plug which forces you back to the dealer. The oil consumption issue is NOT a small matter. Forgetting cost and inconvenience, the residues have to go somewhere in the engine where they don't belong and the engineers think it will appear as carbon deposits in the head around the valves which will impair performance (and give VW dealers some repair work). The old FSI engine was a notorious oil burner used in both VW and Audi cars. The current TSI engine was intended to correct the problem but as you all know, did not do so. All of these engines come from a plant in Hungary. Some of the engines are fine and burn little or no oil, while others are voracious consumers of oil. My engineering advice feels that this is more likely bad quality control at the plant than a defective engine design. In any event, this is my last post since I am done with VW/Audi for good. Not sure yet how the Ford will play out because I have not driven it long enough yet but like the CC, it has many appealing features, good power and good fuel economy. Sayonara!

Junior Member CP'OD is a jewel in the rough CP'OD's Avatar
    Thanks

@TomD - glad things worked out for you with your trade in on the Fusion - honestly one of my favorite company cars (though mine was a 2010 - loved the SYNC system at the time) - even though mine was a '10 with the base 4. I just hope that the issues aren't common to all D.I. Turbo engines.

Update on mine - after 2 months ! - of the 10 issues I dropped it off for, primary among them was the massive MPG drop and sudden oil consumption, and the very quirky DSG behavior. What was addressed? Only the DSG - which was resolved by complete replacement. Must say the DSG now shifts like I'd expect it to. However, every other issue remains - which is hard to believe considering the length of time it spent in the shop. Amazing - so I am also DONE with VW completely - I just have no idea what will be done to make things right since I traded in a perfectly good car for a presumed "upgrade" I paid cash for.

Things have taken a turn for the much worse - as I began wondering why I would be having so many problems with a car with under 30K - so I took it to 4 different VW certified collision centers on the same day - each one told me within minute that my 1 owner, no damage history / clean Carfax car had been severely wrecked - then poorly repaired / repainted (well enough to apparently fool the CPO inspector?) In the process of seeing what the dealership is going to do to make things right, as clearly this pattern of service needs every week or 2 is going to continue until I rid myself of this POS.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated...

New Member SaritaM is a jewel in the rough SaritaM's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Tom
    I have a 2010 CC. My mechanic just advised me of this problem. He added 3 quarts of synthetic also. I was not due for an oil change until March! He advised me that he was reading VW CC are notorious for burning oil. He suggested that I get synthetic blend oil because I will need to get oil changes more often. You are not alone!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast