Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
28K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  nitroscope8 
#1 · (Edited)
The car sat for about a month, then it would crank, but not turn over. The battery eventually died from trying to start it. I was able to start it by jumping it off another car, so I figured that it must be the battery. I bought a new one at Batteries Plus. With the new battery, same crank-but-no-start scenario. I figured that it might have been sitting on the shelf too long, so I put it on the charger over night. This morning, cranks, but won't start.

I've read that the battery voltage must be 12.5 or over for the car to start. It is presently 12.73, but when I try to start it, it drops to around 11.5. Eventually after cranking for 15 seconds, the oil light comes on, and it stops cranking.

This car has only 32,000 on it. The fuel pump died around 29,000, that cost $650, and now the damn thing wont start. Help.

Also, I should add that it's a 5-speed manual (Why would you drive anything else?)

#2 ·
check your grounds. the main ones coming off of the battery and any coming off of your alternator. remove and clean the surfaces with a wire brush before replacing. also check the terminals to make sure they are clean as well.

when you jumped the car, did you apply both jumper cables to the battery? or did you only apply the positive cable to the positive terminal (grounding the negative cable to the engine or body)?

#3 ·
Who did the fuel pump? If it was a shop, take it back to them. It seems like a fuel pump issue.

Sent via mail pigeon using Tapatalk

#4 ·
check your faults. Very common for the crank sensors to fail on that engine/year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.