07 jetta cranks, but wont start
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 07 jetta cranks, but wont start

New Member milwanke is a jewel in the rough milwanke's Avatar
    Thanks

07 jetta cranks, but wont start

The car sat for about a month, then it would crank, but not turn over. The battery eventually died from trying to start it. I was able to start it by jumping it off another car, so I figured that it must be the battery. I bought a new one at Batteries Plus. With the new battery, same crank-but-no-start scenario. I figured that it might have been sitting on the shelf too long, so I put it on the charger over night. This morning, cranks, but won't start.

I've read that the battery voltage must be 12.5 or over for the car to start. It is presently 12.73, but when I try to start it, it drops to around 11.5. Eventually after cranking for 15 seconds, the oil light comes on, and it stops cranking.

This car has only 32,000 on it. The fuel pump died around 29,000, that cost $650, and now the damn thing wont start. Help.

Also, I should add that it's a 5-speed manual (Why would you drive anything else?)
    Last edited by milwanke; 08-15-2012 at 07:00 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 07 jetta cranks, but wont start

check your grounds. the main ones coming off of the battery and any coming off of your alternator. remove and clean the surfaces with a wire brush before replacing. also check the terminals to make sure they are clean as well.

when you jumped the car, did you apply both jumper cables to the battery? or did you only apply the positive cable to the positive terminal (grounding the negative cable to the engine or body)?
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Monsters, Gorilla Skin + Legos & Steel Toes

Guru Member BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK's Avatar
    Thanks
    Who did the fuel pump? If it was a shop, take it back to them. It seems like a fuel pump issue.

Sent via mail pigeon using Tapatalk
    I LIKE TO PUT RIDICULOUSLY BIG PICTURES IN MY SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    blast my nuts
    08 Golf ; 03 F350; 86 K5 Blazer
    00 TDI Jetta ; 10 Charger; 87 Toyota Pickup
    87 Golf; 89 4Runner; 94 Kawi Vulcan

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 07 jetta cranks, but wont start

check your faults. Very common for the crank sensors to fail on that engine/year.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

+ Reply to Thread