2009 tiguan high pitch squeal
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2009 tiguan high pitch squeal

New Member aeje234 is a jewel in the rough aeje234's Avatar
    Thanks

2009 tiguan high pitch squeal

I have a 2009 VW Tiguan that we've had for about a year. Today I was out running some errands and on my way home this very HIGH PITCH sound started. At first I thought it was the car in front of me but once I turned I realized it was my car. I stopped to record the sound and then proceeded home where it continued.

It only makes this sound when I am idling, or braking. It doesn't do it after I get the RPM's up past 2.5. If I let off the accelerator, it starts doing it and when the car is parked it is SO LOUD. Also, after I turn the car off the RPM's shoot up to 2.5-3 like my foot is on the accelerator but it isn't.

Someone please help if you have had this sound or know what it is. To me, it sounds like a belt issue but just looking for other ideas.

I attached the sound video so you can hear it.

http://youtu.be/BuAaNTfW8Qo

TIA.

UPDATE: We changed the coil pack after getting scan codes of P0300 and P0301. That didn't do anything, if anything it made it run worse. We then changed the spark plugs because it had a little carbon build up (not much at all). That seemed to help a TINY bit, but still running very choppy. The car is idling at 600 rpms and the engine light started flashing. Randomly it will jump up to 2000 rpms and fall down to 600-700 rpms. The lights in the car flicker while it's idling at such a low level. Any ideas of what this could be? We are thinking it might be a fuel injector but curious of any other ideas.
    Last edited by aeje234; 06-26-2012 at 10:20 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

New Member Jairomoreira is a jewel in the rough Jairomoreira's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2009 tiguan high pitch squeal

I had the same happen to me last weekend. At first I thought it was water pump,
    But my mechanic says that the noise is too loud to be water pump. My car has 160,000 km.
    Did you find out what it was?

Thanks

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

i saw your other video on youtube. first of all, you'll need to get the codes check again. you may have changed one of the coil pack in reference to the 301 code, however, it may have a different code or the exact same one. the flashing cel usually points to a bad coil pack or packs.

is your oil level ok? when was the last time your oil was changed? was the correct oil used?

get a broom stick or dowel rod that's long enough and use is as a stethoscope (one end to your ear) on different parts (not moving parts) of the engine without the engine cover in place. do this on your turbo charger tubing if you can reach it all. if it is louder on one section of tubing vs the others, make sure that the connections are secure and nothing is cracked...

it could be your turbo charger failing, possibly the impeller bearing. if the squeal happens when you brake, it could be occurring it when the exhaust pressures decrease and allow the impeller speeds to decrease and get off-balance, because there's too much tolerance.

good luck and welcome to the VWOC...

finally, i wouldn't continue to drive the vehicle in this state. if your turbo is failing, you don't want to have the possibility of the impeller making contact with the housing walls.
    Last edited by le0n; 07-07-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Gorilla Skin + Legos

Guru Member
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds like your breather valve bolted to the cam cover. It will make this noise AND cause rough running engine. If you try and remove your oil cap with the engine running you will notice it's very hard to remove, but it's easy to remove when the engine is off.
    Hidden Content
    2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nitroscope8 For This Useful Post:

aeje234(07-09-2012), john.biddlestone(05-25-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    Sounds like your breather valve bolted to the cam cover. It will make this noise AND cause rough running engine. If you try and remove your oil cap with the engine running you will notice it's very hard to remove, but it's easy to remove when the engine is off.
    So if this is the issue, will I need to replace the camshaft?
    My car is currently at the mechanic shop and he is not sure where this
    Noise is coming from. He even called vw repair techs and
    The sound was foreign to them also...

Thanks

Ya after we changed the coil pack 1, it still had 2 codes but wouldn't let me see them. Just kept showing B2AAA. We got the latest code reader so once we get the water pump replaced and the car put back together we are gonna read the codes.

The oil level is fine and good. It is due for an oil change anytime now, but it's right at the point of when it needs to be changed. We take really good care of our cars.

I really really hope it's not the turbo failing. That would be horrible. It does the squealing when we break and accelerate..From a cold start it doesn't squeal. Only when it's put into drive and you accelerate. It totally makes sense what you're saying but I so hope that's not the case.

She isn't being driven and hasn't been since all this occurred.

Thank you so much for your input!

Thanks

We'll try that once she's all put back together. Thanks!

Guru Member
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Please reread my post. I said breather valve which is bolted to the cam cover. Breather valve.

If the oil cap is difficult to remove while idling then its the breather valve. The dealer isn't gonna tell a shop how to fix their cars and will play dumb. Dealer techs don't work for free. This should be a quick diagnosis and a cheap repair.

For all you haters out there this could be a classic example that a factory trained tech saves a customer hundreds by diagnosing correctly and quickly.
    Hidden Content
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Please reread my post. I said breather valve which is bolted to the cam cover. Breather valve.

If the oil cap is difficult to remove while idling then its the breather valve.
    ^^ hey you two, this guy knows his stuff, so heed his advice.

For all you haters out there this could be a classic example that a factory trained tech saves a customer hundreds by diagnosing correctly and quickly.
    yes. this...

Dealer techs don't work for free.
    ^^ yep, however, nitro puts in a lot of hours here

Thanks

Thanks for all the info guys.
    I found out that the issue is that it needs a new
    Pcv valve, which costs about $140 at the dealership.
    My only question is, should I have the mechanic replace it?
    or is it simple quick fix that I could do myself? It seems that the quote
    Is at the $400 range for part an installation.

I also cannot find a video on how to change my specific
    Model...

Thanks guess

Thanks

thank you sooooo much! We did a temp fix and got no codes so that was def. the problem.

Tried posting a picture but it wouldn't upload for some reason.

Thanks

Is that going to be a dealer part only? or do you know where I can get it online. I've looked around but haven't found it...

Thanks
    uploadfromtaptalk1341917445658.jpg

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

call Keffer, they do dealer pricing. beats anyone around here.

Keffer Volkswagen

13651 Statesville Road , Huntersville , NC 28078
    ( 888 ) 605-9062

or if you know the part number (nitro may help you out here), just order it through their website: http://keffervwparts.com/

Junior Member negaverse is on a distinguished road negaverse's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi all, was browsing around to see if this was my problem also. Took it to the mechanic, turns out the high pitch screeching is due to the drive belt tensioner needing replacing. Cost = $590 USD. I also have a myriad of problems, vac leak = $475, carbon buildup cleaning, that is causing my car to shake furiously = $600. After it's all said and done, $1565, that is with $100 discount, HA!

My Tig is a 2009, 72K miles. Hoping this is the last big chunk of $$ I'm putting into this car as I don't know how much more I can take with the repair cost$.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by negaverse View Post
    My Tig is a 2009, 72K miles. Hoping this is the last big chunk of $$ I'm putting into this car as I don't know how much more I can take with the repair cost$.
    that sucks! I guess it helps when you know how to work on cars. All we spent in fixing our two problems was about $250. Hope you don't have anymore problems.

Thanks

Thanks, called and got a part number and picked it up at our local VW dealer. Not a TERRIBLE price for a dealer part.

Guru Member
    Thanks

You sure its a drive belt tensioner? Never seen one go bad.
    Hidden Content
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Thanks

The issue with my Tiguan was: (1) belt tensioner ($80) and serpentine belt ($50).
    (2) pcv value ($150).
    What causes the high pitch sound on alot of these Tiguans are pcv valve.
    Total repair was $650.

Thanks for all the tips and thanks for warm welcome
    To this awesome forum!

Junior Member negaverse is on a distinguished road negaverse's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by negaverse View Post
    Hi all, was browsing around to see if this was my problem also. Took it to the mechanic, turns out the high pitch screeching is due to the drive belt tensioner needing replacing. Cost = $590 USD. I also have a myriad of problems, vac leak = $475, carbon buildup cleaning, that is causing my car to shake furiously = $600. After it's all said and done, $1565, that is with $100 discount, HA!

On top of this, RIGHT when I was going to pick up my car, the air mass system sensor goes bad! Mechanics are baffled, never seen anything like this. Only upside is they are replacing it free of charge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast