Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Dkdrmr 
#1 ·
I did a search and didn't find anything that fit these symptoms.

82 diesel 5 speed

When I start the car the brakes seem fine. They stiffen up about 1/3 to 1/2 down as you brake harder.

Then I will cruise to the next stop and they go to the floor... I let up for a sec or two and then they will go back to "normal". Sometimes they will go to the floor a few times and then stiffen back up.

I want to teach the wife how to drive a stick, but can't really rely on the brakes as they are.

I checked the brake fluid level and it is full. (maybe too full.... it was at the top of the neck of the brake reservoir)

I won't be able to fix it for about a month. So I am just wanting to know what should I look at first, or should I just start to save money to replace the master cylinder and booster.

#2 ·
Do you r center vents move from full frontal to defrost on their own without having to move a lever. Place the slide lever in full front as you drive. If it dosen't divert or doesn't go full frontal that is what we want to know.

If you answered yes then you have a vacuum pump issue or a vac leak on the brake booster.
If the vent can divert and stays, then you have a master cylinder problem.

#3 ·
Do the brakes vanish or get harder? If they get harder and seem like they aren`t working, the diaphragm style (if you have this) vacuum pump needs a rebuild, or replaced with a vane style pump.

I had an issue with my brakes vanishing completely, and eventually died without returning, I found a broken brake line under the drivers side carpet, it had rusted through.

#4 ·
I'm sorry Brian but I am a bit lost on what you are asking.

I did experiment with the car tonight. When I press on the brakes hard, like in an emergency, the brakes work just fine.

When I slowly press the brakes they go almost all the way to the floor and when I get to a stop it goes all the way to the floor. hope this helps.

#5 ·
It may be that your booster isn't getting vacuum.
To verify that your vacuum pump is working
Start the car, and move the heat selector to full front. Does the air flow out the front?
no, bad vacuum pump.
rev the car does it still stay full front (center vent)? No, bad vacuum pump.
If it does stay full front, then bad master cylinder.

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah... I need to replace my whole heat console... it is stuck.... but I can get the heat to turn on and it blows out really descent around town... on the highway... it cools off.

My poor car needs a total overhaul.... They need a show called pimp my vw... I vote that brian be the head of the team. :D

where would I go to get these parts and are they difficult to replace?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.