Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

Linkage issue after converting a 4 speed manual to a 5 speed manual??

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MrSafety 
#1 ·
Hey all,

The work on my Rabbit continues! The guy who owned it before me installed a 5 speed manual transmission into my 1981 Rabbit Diesel. Apparently he didn't do it correctly because I don't have a reverse anymore. After speaking to the good people at the VW parts place I was led to believe that I do NOT need to replace my clutch and tranny to fix the issue- that it is a simple linkage problem and a relatively cheap fix.

Can anyone give me a step by step on tackling this issue? My diesel mechanic and I are getting together over the next week to wrench on it, he correctly identified the issue as a linkage problem but is unfamiliar with a solution. Anything to help us wade our way through this mess would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

#2 ·
Hey all,

The work on my Rabbit continues!
The guy who owned it before me installed a 5 speed manual transmission into my 1981 Rabbit Diesel.
Apparently he didn't do it correctly because I don't have a reverse anymore.
After speaking to the good people at the VW parts place I was led to believe that I do NOT need to replace my clutch and tranny to fix the issue-
that it is a simple linkage problem and a relatively cheap fix.

Can anyone give me a step by step on tackling this issue?
My diesel mechanic and I are getting together over the next week to wrench on it,
he correctly identified the issue as a linkage problem but is unfamiliar with a solution.
Anything to help us wade our way through this mess would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Chris
Chris... and others,
I'm new to this FORUM but I too have an '81 Rabbit Diesel (pickup) and
I'm looking for help to anticipate what changes I need to make when I exchange out my 4-spd manul for a 5-spd.
I picked up my 5-spd for only $100 but knew it needed work. So ~$600 later I have a fully restored/updated 5-spd read to be installed.
I have found the needed Driver-side mount bracket... so that is done.
I figure that PartsPlaceInc.Com has their 5-spd rebuild kit specifically for my truck for ~$140.00
but it only has 6 parts as shown at:
http://www.partsplaceinc.com/produc...abbit+shifter+rebuild+kit+171-798-1&sku=16088
and they tell me I need at least 3 other parts... knob, selector lever, and selector shaft.
I have looked at section 3 "Gearshift Lever & Shift Linkages" in Chapter 8 of my '84, '86 Bentley Manual
that is for '77-to-'84 Diesel Rabbits & Jettas.

Bottom LINE... has anyone here seen a thorough/complete THREAD or DIYer "Wiki" that goes through and
identifies the additional parts I need to come up with... particularly in the shifter system... and sources for
these parts ?? I prefer to buy as much as I can new!

Any help will be appreciated...
Sam Ross // aka MrSafety
MrSafety44@Verizon.Net
Novato, CA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.