Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

ultimate cylinder head stud kit for vw 8v engines

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  gingwhaa 
#1 · (Edited)
I discovered this by accident. I needed better studs for my 1.5d. Well, went to a 1.6 cr block instead, I got to looking around in my garage. Guess what? The 1/2" studs from a 351 cleveland ford engine fit very well if you tap the vw block with a 1/2 by 13 tap. The studs go all the way to the bottom of the hole and are the perfect height for the mech lifter diesel head. Mine is a 1.5 head on a 1.6 block, you have to bore the head holes slightly too, but there is plenty of room for this. And be sure to check other cyl head heights like the hyd version . The 1/2x13 tap is also very close to the 12x 1.5mm thread existing in the later 1.6 blocks and just shaves a little more out of the block. Use a bottom tap and oil it a little and back it out after a few turns as you retap. Torque from 70 to 120 ftlbs. (you decide) I just torqued to an even 100ft lbs on a 2 knotch 1.5 gasket. You could run huge boost with this setup. I just bought the cheap pro comp stud set (351c) from ebay. You get enough studs for two engines for 60 bucks. You could also use arp bolts or studs and get two sets also. The pro comps are a little poor looking machine quality wise,but still twce as good as stock head bolts. you can also buy individual studs or head bolts from summit racing or jeg's if you don't want two sets....gl all you modders..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.