2012 Tiguan Se Gas Mileage!
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2012 Tiguan Se Gas Mileage!

New Member TomSexton525 is a jewel in the rough TomSexton525's Avatar
    Thanks

2012 Tiguan Se Gas Mileage!

You say 28 Miles per gallon highway? I just came back from a trip to Iowa. Mild weather and all highway driving using cruise control. Fuel consumpsion reading was reporting excellent mileage! I was pleased.

Actually? I just calculated the real mileage, since for years I record exactly how many gallons of gas I purchase each time, rounded out to the 3rd decimal place (15.381 gals.) I record the odometer reading and I am only interested in my actual miles per gallon from January 1st through December 31st, city and highway combined. That is the only real MPG that matters!

The Iowa trip mileage? It was only 22 miles per gallon average. I bought the car new on January 3, 2012. Right now I have driven it 4,250 miles. The overall average is only 21.31 MPG so far. What gives? I do everything possible to push the MPG. It's not how I drive the car. My Toyota Solara was a 6 cylinder and a lot heavier vehical. My over-all average was 23 MPG. What's with all the marketing lies Volkswagon?

Tom from Minnesota

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Member hhbah is a splendid one to behold hhbah's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2012 Tiguan Se Gas Mileage!

I have a 2012 Tiguan SE with 4-Motion with 3000 miles. I do all city driving and I am getting 22.3 MPG. That is without any highway miles at all.
    I use only the Top Tier gas that VW recommends and only 91 Octane minimum. Are you lugging a lot of weight in the back of the car?
    2012 Tiguan SE 4-Motion Night Blue Metallic / Black Interior

New Member Daved41 is a jewel in the rough Daved41's Avatar
    Thanks

wait until you have 10,000 to 15,000 miles on the engine before max mileage will occur. Engine will be fully BROKE IN then. Until that happens, mileage will be lower.
    I have a 2011 SE 4 MOTION with nearly 16,000 miles ( 19,000 km, I'm in canada) and i'm getting 33 highway and 26 city, and I'm burning regular 87 octane.

New Member TomSexton525 is a jewel in the rough TomSexton525's Avatar
    Thanks

Daved41 & hhbah,

Thanks for the comments. Mine is also a 4-Motion and I only use the highest grade of gas no lower than 91 octane. I'm not driving around with any additional weight, although I did have two small passengers on the trip to Iowa with combined weight of no more than 220 lbs. I guess I'll have to be patient and see if the mileage improves over time. So far I've been pretty disappointed. My expectations were not that high to begin with. I was hoping for an over-all average of 23 MPG. Are there any other owners who are averaging much better than that?

Tom from Minnesota

New Member TacoGrande is a jewel in the rough TacoGrande's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Tom,

I have a 2012 SE (2 WD) with about 2500 miles and on most fill-ups I'm also averaging about 22 MPG. Most my driving is easy city driving - a stop light every mile or so with fairly light traffic. The lone road trip I took I got about 24 MPH (doing 80 MPH most the way). I always use 93 octane.

-TG

New Member Jupiter is a jewel in the rough Jupiter's Avatar
    Thanks

Noted fuel consumption with interest
    Bought new tiguan Tdi se in march 2012
    Consumption averaging 65.6 miles per gallon
    Full tank on one trip returned 879.6 miles
    Jupiter

New Member deeg is a jewel in the rough deeg's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomSexton525 View Post
    You say 28 Miles per gallon highway? I just came back from a trip to Iowa. Mild weather and all highway driving using cruise control. Fuel consumpsion reading was reporting excellent mileage! I was pleased.

Actually? I just calculated the real mileage, since for years I record exactly how many gallons of gas I purchase each time, rounded out to the 3rd decimal place (15.381 gals.) I record the odometer reading and I am only interested in my actual miles per gallon from January 1st through December 31st, city and highway combined. That is the only real MPG that matters!

The Iowa trip mileage? It was only 22 miles per gallon average. I bought the car new on January 3, 2012. Right now I have driven it 4,250 miles. The overall average is only 21.31 MPG so far. What gives? I do everything possible to push the MPG. It's not how I drive the car. My Toyota Solara was a 6 cylinder and a lot heavier vehical. My over-all average was 23 MPG. What's with all the marketing lies Volkswagon?

Tom from Minnesota
    I've had my 2012 Tiguan SE (nav and sunroof!) since the end of July, and the MPG has been fairly disappointing.

I'm keeping track of it like you, and using Fuelly for a record of it.

My best ever, all-highway-miles trip averaged 20.8 MPG, and I'm getting 17-ish around town consistently. My prior experience is that the EPA/sticker numbers are typically the low end of average for what you can get, but after tracking 5 fuel-ups, and getting an overall, accumulated average of 18.5MPG, I'm not feeling so hot about what VW presented as the fuel economy features of this thing.

I'm driving mostly with only myself in the car, on the flat, straight roads of Florida, AC on for sure, but that alone shouldn't account for city averages 6MPG lower than the EPA/sticker number.

I've brought it to two dealers' service departments to ask about it. Both have said that because there's nothing reporting errors, there's nothing they can do. Then they've also given me the the bit about break-in time. I'm not buying the idea that it will ramp up 6MPG after a few thousand miles. Maybe 1, but 6?

The only other thing I'm considering is ethanol. I've found two stations in the area that offer ethanol-free fuel, just got my first fill-up with it, and am going to track that with some interest.

I have learned that in my other VW (an '05 Passat TDI), tiny changes in camshaft torsion values can have a profound effect. Makes me wonder if the Tiguan's computer system is not sensitive to some variance in a similar parameter, and that this car may have been assembled in such a way that it's functioning fine, but not running as efficiently as it could. Something tells me I won't find help from these dealers in figuring out any such thing.

We're Geekin' DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider's Avatar
    Thanks

You guys don't mention how fast you are going...

My uncle has a 2012 SE AWD and says he's been getting over 30mpg on the highway. Of course I know he keeps it around 55-60. He has less than 10k on his.

Keep in mind, the EPA numbers are just an estimate based on certain circumstances. Everyone drives in different circumstances. If you look at your window sticker with the EPA estimates you'll notice in fine print that the big number will have a +/- 3/4/5/6/7mpg below it.
    UG 2008 4dr Auto, Sunroof, ESP, Votex Ground Effects Kit.

Mods: Stubby Antenna, Clear Sidemarkers, Euro Switch , OEM Projector Fog Lights, C2 93 Flash, BSH Intake, A3 Leather Shift Knob, GTI OEM HIDs, Tinted Euro R32 Tails, Eurojet Exhaust, H&R 24mm RSB, Jetta Wolfsburg FE swap, Eibach Sportline springs and Koni Str.T shocks, VW Euro OEM Leather Steering wheel, 17" VW OEM Anthracite Goals.

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Vw Built it,Epa rated it. Blame epa.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

New Member johnjav is a jewel in the rough johnjav's Avatar
    Thanks

I am pretty happy with the gas mileage so far. I have put on 1500 miles on my 2012 tig. My top mpg city was 27 and highway has been 31.6 going 55-60 mph. I take it really easy on the gas pedal and coast 3-4 car lengths behind 16 wheelers when on the highway. I have been using only 93 octane.

New Member Jupiter is a jewel in the rough Jupiter's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Guys
    Come on up those consumption figures !!!!!!!!
    As I previously stated I have a 2012 Tiguan 4Motion {Diesel] and I am regularly clocking on the highway 60/65 mpg and that is at steady speed of 55/60 mph
    My highest figure was 75.4 mpg over a distance of 27 miles but in perfect drikving conditions and no heavy trucks in the way
    Even at a speed of 70mph [ from Inverness to Dunfermline -Scotland] I still get 61.3 mpg
    Cheers
    Jupiter

+ Reply to Thread