VW GOLF GTI· Getting iPhone 4S to play music via Bluetooth·GTI OWNERS CLUB FORUM
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting iPhone 4S to play music via Bluetooth

New Member qazwart is a jewel in the rough qazwart's Avatar
    Thanks

Getting iPhone 4S to play music via Bluetooth

I have a 2009 GTI I bought a year ago through the VW Certified Used Car program. I love the car.

The car has what is called in a separate book, "The original VW Bluetooth connectivity". Following the directions in this book, I was able to pair my iPhone 4S to the car via Bluetooth. Now, using the buttons on the dash, I can answer and hang up my phone via Bluetooth, and the audio is played through my speakers. That works great.

What I can't seem to do, and what the manual says I should be able to do is play music from my phone over Bluetooth. According to the manual, I need to start the music playing on my phone via the "Bluetooth" connection. However, that does not show up in iTunes. The manual also mentions I need to press the "Media" button on the radio, but my radio doesn't have a media button.

Currently, I use an audio jack that I plug into my iPhone's audio jack, and that's plugged into the central console's audio port which is the external audio input for the radio. That works, but it leaves a tangle of cables since I also plug in my iPhone's 30 pin connector to the cigarette lighter, and I mount my iPhone on the dashboard to use as a GPS device.

As a further tease, the option to connect my iPhone through iTunes via Bluetooth does occasionally show up, usually when I just finish a call. However, when I disconnect the audio jack from my iPhone, the option disappears.

My iPhone is paired to the GTI. I can see that. However, it looks like the GTI won't allow the play connectivity without the iPhone requesting it, and the iPhone won't request it until the GTI connects first.

I have four buttons controlling the phone on my steering wheel: A "star" to mute, a "phone" to answer and hangup the phone, a volume up, and a volume down button.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	917.2 KB
ID:	10209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0373.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	789.6 KB
ID:	10210  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	10211  
    Last edited by qazwart; 03-18-2012 at 04:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text