VW GOLF GTI· Getting iPhone 4S to play music via Bluetooth·GTI OWNERS CLUB FORUM
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting iPhone 4S to play music via Bluetooth

New Member qazwart is a jewel in the rough qazwart's Avatar
    Thanks

Getting iPhone 4S to play music via Bluetooth

I have a 2009 GTI I bought a year ago through the VW Certified Used Car program. I love the car.

The car has what is called in a separate book, "The original VW Bluetooth connectivity". Following the directions in this book, I was able to pair my iPhone 4S to the car via Bluetooth. Now, using the buttons on the dash, I can answer and hang up my phone via Bluetooth, and the audio is played through my speakers. That works great.

What I can't seem to do, and what the manual says I should be able to do is play music from my phone over Bluetooth. According to the manual, I need to start the music playing on my phone via the "Bluetooth" connection. However, that does not show up in iTunes. The manual also mentions I need to press the "Media" button on the radio, but my radio doesn't have a media button.

Currently, I use an audio jack that I plug into my iPhone's audio jack, and that's plugged into the central console's audio port which is the external audio input for the radio. That works, but it leaves a tangle of cables since I also plug in my iPhone's 30 pin connector to the cigarette lighter, and I mount my iPhone on the dashboard to use as a GPS device.

As a further tease, the option to connect my iPhone through iTunes via Bluetooth does occasionally show up, usually when I just finish a call. However, when I disconnect the audio jack from my iPhone, the option disappears.

My iPhone is paired to the GTI. I can see that. However, it looks like the GTI won't allow the play connectivity without the iPhone requesting it, and the iPhone won't request it until the GTI connects first.

I have four buttons controlling the phone on my steering wheel: A "star" to mute, a "phone" to answer and hangup the phone, a volume up, and a volume down button.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	917.2 KB
ID:	10209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0373.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	789.6 KB
ID:	10210  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	10211  
    Last edited by qazwart; 03-18-2012 at 04:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread