Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
14K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  baker1931 
#1 ·
I have a 1981 rabbit pickup w/ 1.7 engine.The fan blows on high all the time--they tell me I need a resistor!!!

I have looked everywhere---need help !!!!

#2 ·
Jumper the fan switch to eliminate that as the Cause as it is usually the switch over a resistor.

#4 ·
Those resistors are big and ugly, and spot welded to the Fan, replacing it alone is doable but a pain.
As you are saying it only works in high do you have a/c? as a 4 speed fan is wired different than a 3 speed.

If you have factory air, then verify that the motor connector (drivers side) of the heater box dosen't have any "burnt" pins.
You can even jumper 12V and ground to that plug to eliminate the switch and short cable itself.

If jumpering it at that connector fails, then your resistor is bad.

Getting to it is a pain, and involves careful prep. If your rain tray (under the plastic divertor) looks like the below:

Then there are a few screws that you have to remove to get the cover off.

Remove the Plastic Rain Divertor.

Remove the 2 Vacuum hoses from the outside, DON'T Pull them off....... Pry or cut them off as the plastic gets brittle over the years.
Remove the 2 Vacuum hoses from the inside of the car.

From inside the car.
On the passenger side (fresh air inlet)
Refer to this picture:

There are 2 screws that you need to remove to get the fresh/recirc divertor loose. Remove the Divertor off to the passenger side.
There is a bolt in the front of the fan cover that you remove from above, and a Phillips screw under the dash on the drivers side (long #2 Phillips screwdriver comes in handy).

Then remove the fan cover out on the Passenger Side.

Now you have the fan where you can see it.

See:
http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/ReplacingTheBlowerMotor.pdf

When replacing the airbox, go to a hardware store and get new closed cell foam to replace the old dead foam to Prevent water migration. Clean the drains in your air box too.

#5 ·
thanks for your help !!!
On my 1981 pickup the blower fan is located under the hood on the cowl-under the rain cover-it looks like the resistor is locate in front of fan blower-about 3" long with wires wrap around it and it gets warm when the fan is running.It does not have air and the resistor has 3 wiring connedted to it.The heater switch is a 3 speed.I have searched the internet and parts stores and can not find anything.

thanks
Allen

#6 ·
So you have this style:

You can jumper the resistor leads to 12V, and see if they will move the fan in different speeds.
The one lead on the motor goes to ground, the other goes to the resistor. By placing 12V on the individual wires, the fan should go in 3 speeds.
If it does, then the resistor and fan are good.

If it doesn't, then use a separate ground on the motor and re-try if the motor now goes to all 3 speeds, then your ground is bad. Look for a burnt pin on the moles connector inside the car under the dash drivers side.

If the connector is good, and the ground works, and the fan goes to all speeds, then look for the fuse at F10 to be bad. If the fuse is good then the switch is bad.

Napa has the fan

43 bucks

Napa has the 3 speed switch

13 bucks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.