Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
59K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  nitroscope8 
#1 ·
Hi folks. Need some help... Replaced my throttle body due to a code showing a problem. I had driven with it for a few weeks with the light on, then one day it wouldn't start. I had it towed in. My mechanic said I'd need to take to to VW to get it reset after. Car started fine but still had check engine light showing code P1582. I'll add the mechanic had it a couple weeks because I ordered the wrong part first go round. He said it started every time he tried it.

VW ran the "adapt" program after we put in the new part, light went out and they said it was fine. I went out to leave the dealership and it wouldn't start. :( Turns but no spark. Chk engine light came back on. VW mechanic says the program doesn't always take so he redid it and it worked.

However, I went to get gas 20 min later and when I started the car and drove out the gas station the light came back on...

At home, my driveway is slanted like 45 degrees (or whatever, but steep). The day I had it towed it was parked there and wouldn't start. Tonight, same thing. I pushed it to level ground and it started right up...

No other codes but P1582, although when I first took it in to my mechanic he said it had 4 codes as possibles (don't know what they were).

VW is trying to say the Bosch part isn't a VW part and so the "adapt" won't take. That's got to be BS. I've been putting Bosch in VWs since the 70s. The part looks EXACTLY like the throttle body I took out. Plus, I'm pretty sure the original wasn't bad since the same scenario occurred with it and without it...

ANY ideas?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
You are reading only static codes, NOT sporadic ones. So you can have 100 faults in there but you are only seeing one. Have the dealer diagnose it for you right the first time. Disconnect the battery THEN do the adaptation with the scan tool.

#5 ·
try this...quick align

disconnect the battery for a minute or two..

reconnect...leave your hood open

put your key in the ignition and turn it to the first postion (aux) (NOT the start position!)

you should hear a high pitch whine comming from the throttle body for a good 30 seconds...

once it stops turn key off and remove it

put your key back in turn it to the first position for like 5 or so seconds then start it

i just had an issue with a Throttle Body on my 03 jetta..and i would do this alot on my intermittent throttle body..and it would work

Reactions: golfwagen
#9 ·
So the dealer read the codes. I still get the same two. P1582 and another I don't have at my hands right now about a RPM sensor. I don't even see that part listed. They insist my Bosch throttle body is not a VW part and want me to spend another $700 for their part. No way that's happening. My other mechanic is going to do a smoke test for vac leak this week. Here's a question. It did its no start thing in my drive way today. I coasted out the drive and popped the clutch and it started right up. I can't see why it starts that way, but won't spark in the drive. Any thoughts?

Thanks

#10 ·
I rarely see where anyone ever posts and says what happened...

So after I replaced the Throttle body (first code I got along with two others, one was crankshaft sensor) my car quit starting I took it back to the shop. We cleared all the codes and it came back with the one for crankshaft sensor. We replaced that and it stated right up. Two days later the chk eng light came back on. Of course I was sick and mad. This time it was 488 (i think) and it was low pressure on the air supply?? I replaced the air pump to air box hose which would not stay clamped and was twisted and off. I will reset the codes on Monday and see if that's that!

My guess is the 1582 and two other codes was REALLY the crankshaft sensor and we guessed wrong. If you get this, do the crank sensor first as it is way cheaper :)

#11 ·
If the code is PXXXX and the first X is anything other than a 0, then the code is manufacturer specific. hell, even VW scanners show two different descriptions for each code depening how you access the code lol.

This is one of those times it would be cheaper to pay a dealer to diagnose AND repair the vehicle the first time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.