Best Used VW to Buy
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Used VW to Buy

New Member eaglewwit is a jewel in the rough eaglewwit's Avatar
    Thanks

Best Used VW to Buy

So I just sold my TDI Wagon, and am coming over here from TDI Club. A bit depressed about it. It was an 01m Automatic, and I know they can be time bombs, but the thing was still running quite well, just a small slip every once in awhile. Now I want to buy another VW. I want something that gets good gas mileage and that I can get for under $6000.

So I am looking in the 1999.5-2005 time frame. What is the best engine, 1.8T, 2.0? Any models better than others? How worried should I be about a high mileage car (100K+)?

I found a Passat Wagon that I am interested in, that claims to have a new engine and transmission in it.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

We're Geekin' DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Best Used VW to Buy

Best bet would be another TDI but with a manual.

With 1.8T's you need to worry about sludging issues, I'd make sure you get maintenance records for any vehicle you buy.

My Uncle had a 99' Jetta TDI 5spd, put 375,000 miles on it before it was totaled when a tree fell on it. If I recall, it got by with regular maintenance, the sunroof only vented and the waterpump went once (plastic impeller fail).
    UG 2008 4dr Auto, Sunroof, ESP, Votex Ground Effects Kit.

Mods: Stubby Antenna, Clear Sidemarkers, Euro Switch , OEM Projector Fog Lights, C2 93 Flash, BSH Intake, A3 Leather Shift Knob, GTI OEM HIDs, Tinted Euro R32 Tails, Eurojet Exhaust, H&R 24mm RSB, Jetta Wolfsburg FE swap, Eibach Sportline springs and Koni Str.T shocks, VW Euro OEM Leather Steering wheel, 17" VW OEM Anthracite Goals.

New Member eaglewwit is a jewel in the rough eaglewwit's Avatar
    Thanks

For what I need it for I cannot justify the premium for a TDI.

Senior Member rabbitjetta is a glorious beacon of light rabbitjetta's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a 99.5 (MK4) Jetta GLS 2.0 and love it. It may not be the fastest car but I have not had any issues with it other then the battery in two years and that was covered under warranty. I would highly reccomend it. I get about 29-35 mpg and it does everything i need it to do. It has been the most reliable car that i have ever had.

Senior Member rabbitjetta is a glorious beacon of light rabbitjetta's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewwit View Post
    For what I need it for I cannot justify the premium for a TDI.
    Well it gets around 15-25 MPG better then gas so it will eventually pay off. My cousin got a Beetle Tdi and she gets around 52 MPG compared to my aunts gas that gets around 30.

+ Reply to Thread

Visitors found this page by searching for:

best volkswagen to buy

best vw to buy

best used volkswagen

best used volkswagen models

best used vw

SEO Blog