Loud timing chain
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loud timing chain

New Member danjetta is a jewel in the rough danjetta's Avatar
    Thanks

Loud timing chain

Hey guys,

I've got an '07 Jetta 2.5 with a loud timing chain or chain tensioner. It's still under warranty but the dealer swears it's not a problem.

Being that I don't trust the dealership farther than I can throw them, I thought I'd investigate myself.

Here's a sample (not mine): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYP1oUL9WAE
    Here's the same thing on a Mustang (can hear it better): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv1XiZiJ-6w

What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Guru Member damionmyst has much to be proud of damionmyst's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Loud timing chain

either chains and guides....or rod bearing(s)

2011 - CC Lux Limited - Black Magic Pearl..stock..and staying that way...UMADLOL

...stickers add 10hp..badges add 13hp

Guru Member BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK's Avatar
    Thanks

ok this is a more common issues with the early 2.5s (e.g, 2005-2006), however it is still possible with the later cars. How many miles do you have on your Jetta? And do you have it warrantied with what dealer? I have an 08 Rabbit (that has 133k miles) with the same motor, and this noise came in about 10k miles ago. Its very very subtle. Its most likely upper chain noise, and its probable that its the guides wearing out.

And rhett.....there is a HUGE difference in noise between lower end noise and timing chain noise.
    I LIKE TO PUT RIDICULOUSLY BIG PICTURES IN MY SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    blast my nuts
    08 Golf ; 03 F350; 86 K5 Blazer
    00 TDI Jetta ; 10 Charger; 87 Toyota Pickup
    87 Golf; 89 4Runner; 94 Kawi Vulcan

Quite.
    djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Timing chain noise sounds like marbles in the engine. Rod bearing noise sounds like bowling balls going through plywood.
    4 wheels:
    14 Fiesta ST / 93 525i
    2 wheels:
    03 CBR954RR / 05 Buell Blast

Thanks

just throwing some possible scenarios out there..ive seen an engine with a bad rod bearing and it wasnt as loud as you guys claim..sounded like a timing chain issue...fixed the bearing..ba-da-bing all the noise gone

2011 - CC Lux Limited - Black Magic Pearl..stock..and staying that way...UMADLOL

Guru Member BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK's Avatar
    Thanks

changing the rod/main bearings take usually more time to change then chain(s)....just sayin. Yes there are different "volumes" of knocking noises, but the two are very dissimilar no matter the amount of noise.

This is a rod bearing:

this is a timing chain

Last edited by BIGGREEK; 01-03-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    I LIKE TO PUT RIDICULOUSLY BIG PICTURES IN MY SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    blast my nuts
    08 Golf ; 03 F350; 86 K5 Blazer
    00 TDI Jetta ; 10 Charger; 87 Toyota Pickup
    87 Golf; 89 4Runner; 94 Kawi Vulcan

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

When a guide breaks or the chain stretches you will get a camshaft allocation fault and the check engine light will go on. The early 2.5's up[ to early 07 have a chain design that is naturally loud. They redesigned it in 2008 for a quieter chain. Some noise is very normal. I had a late build 07 and I only heard a little noise once in a blue moon on cold start for a few minutes then it went away. Some I hear are really loud and they stay that way for 10's of thousands of miles without problems. If there is no fault and the engine runs fine then I would be hard pressed to go further. If, however, the noise started immediately while driving or overnight then I would be concerned.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

New Member danjetta is a jewel in the rough danjetta's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks so much for the feedback, guys.

We bought the car used from a dealer in Annapolis with 75K miles on it and bought the extended warranty (which is almost up). The car now has 105K miles and runs well. Every once in a while (about once a month) it'll spit and sputter like it wants to die after a cold start (like the whole car shakes)--but runs fine once it warms up. And there's no CEL.

The warranty is almost up and we wanted to get any potential 'big issues' sorted before we're on our own.

Whenever friends walk by our car they always ask what's wrong with it (the noise is like BigGreek's second video). We took it to the dealer and the techs (including the shop manager) claimed they heard nothing unusual. I felt like I was in a ghost movie, pointing at a demonic monster and everyone saying, "what monster?" We even compared it to another 2.5 Jetta, which was dead silent (smooth while running) and the techs still claimed they heard no difference.

My fear is that they're avoiding the timing chain issue because we have the warranty and, in a few miles when the warranty's up, is when the chain is going to skip and break something.

Thanks

i hate that dealer in Annapolis..their service department is horrible..ive had MORE THAN ONE bad experience with them...they are complete PHUCKTARDS..do your self a favor and take it somewhere else for a second opinion

Fahrvergnugen acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator's Avatar
    Thanks

Another dealer isn't going to honor his extended warranty though.
    - Nic

2006 Uni Black Rabbit

4 door - 5 spd - UM tune - Neuspeed P-flo - Eurojet exhaust - Koni yellow - DG Springs - Fogs - Euro tails - Ronal Goals (summer/autoX) - SSM Magny Cours (winter) - Hatch pop kit - iPod adapter

+ Reply to Thread