VW Rabbit Forum " 2007 Rabbit auto transmission issues" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Rabbit auto transmission issues

New Member Acrain69 is a jewel in the rough Acrain69's Avatar
    Thanks

2007 Rabbit auto transmission issues

I have a 2007 Rabbit with about 46000 miles. A couple concerns I have:

1) When decelerating, the engine is idling as it goes from 6th to 5th, and when it shifts into 4th gear at 30 MPH it wil sometimes slam, shaking the whole car like I slammed on the brakes for a brief second.

2) When accelerating, going from 3rd to 4th gear, my transmission has been frequently slipping. In tiptronic mode, I can bump it up to go from 3rd to 4th and it will go from about 2000 RPMs to 3500 RPMs and then go into 4th gear. It will also sometimes do it in regular automatic mode. Sometimes from 2nd to 3rd, but to a lesser revv degree.

Any thoughts? What is wrong with my transmission, and what needs to be done to fix it? I just dont feel like these should be symptoms of a car with only 46000 miles. My family has owned plenty of VW/ Audi and never had a kink like this. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Guru Member
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2007 Rabbit auto transmission issues

There is a TSB for harsh downshift like you describe. It requires valve body replacement and a software update. See your dealer and tell them you feel there may be a tsb about valve body replacement and describe your symptoms.

Also, you have a valve body warranty extension so you are covered under warranty if that is the problem.
    Hidden Content
    2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

New Member Acrain69 is a jewel in the rough Acrain69's Avatar
    Thanks

Dumb question, I know. But what exactly is a TSB? I have taken it to one VW dealer earlier in the year and when I described the symptoms, they looked at me like I was speaking another language. They had no idea what I was talking about. The notes they made said something about it hanging on to a gear or hesitating to shift, which is not what I described. Regardless, they ran diagnostics and said that they all came back normal. I have also read that a transmission fluid flush might also fix the problem. What are your thoughts? Thank you so much!!!!!!

Fahrvergnugen acgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator's Avatar
    Thanks
    TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. They are updates issued by vw to dealers that they will perform when cars come in for service.
    I would contact your dealer and mention to them the tsb described by nitro. If they play stupid, contact a diferent dealer.
    - Nic

2006 Uni Black Rabbit

4 door - 5 spd - UM tune - Neuspeed P-flo - Eurojet exhaust - Koni yellow - DG Springs - Fogs - Euro tails - Ronal Goals (summer/autoX) - SSM Magny Cours (winter) - Hatch pop kit - iPod adapter

Guru Member
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond reputenitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

If they ran diagnostics and came back with no faults then that is a GOOD sign. That means the valve body is most likely at fault. They almost never throw faults when they fail.
    Hidden Content
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

I'm not here... cmm67 is a jewel in the rough cmm67's Avatar
    Thanks

I know this is an old thread but I've got the same problem. I have a 2007 Rabbit and took it to the dealer. They said they added some fluid and that it didn't fix the hard shifting. Also it was throwing codes that indicated it was in fact the valve body. Also that my VIN isn't one of the ones supposedly affected, so it's not covered. So it has a known problem but mine shouldn't have that problem???
    Votex-Visions-Vagcom

Fahrvergnugen acgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond reputeacgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmm67 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I've got the same problem. I have a 2007 Rabbit and took it to the dealer. They said they added some fluid and that it didn't fix the hard shifting. Also it was throwing codes that indicated it was in fact the valve body. Also that my VIN isn't one of the ones supposedly affected, so it's not covered. So it has a known problem but mine shouldn't have that problem???
    A TSB should be performed automatically by the dealer whether the car is under warranty or not AFAIK. Recalls are based upon the VIN of affected cars and VW will send out letters regarding the recall, but this is a TSB, that Nitroscope is referring to, regarding hard downshifts. I'm not familiar with the TSB number regarding this issue but maybe Nitroscope can shed light on that.
    - Nic

2006 Uni Black Rabbit

4 door - 5 spd - UM tune - Neuspeed P-flo - Eurojet exhaust - Koni yellow - DG Springs - Fogs - Euro tails - Ronal Goals (summer/autoX) - SSM Magny Cours (winter) - Hatch pop kit - iPod adapter

9. The Following User Says Thank You to acgator For This Useful Post:

cmm67(01-04-2013)

Thanks

Thanks, the TSB is 309329 or VWP-10-06 as far as I've seen. The dealer said that it was the same problem (the valve body) but mine didn't show up when he checked the VIN... I don't think i ever got a letter, but I'm having the same problem. I'm at 78k now. They want $1700 to fix it. I'm just confused at how this is not covered :/
    Last edited by cmm67; 01-04-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    Votex-Visions-Vagcom

Guru Member
    Thanks

A TSB is NOT a warranty extension. It's simply there to assist the technican in properly diagnosing and repairing a vehicle. They do usually include vin ranges so not all tsb's apply to all cars. PM me your vin and ill tell you if your car has the 100k mile valve body warranty.
    Hidden Content
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nitroscope8 For This Useful Post:

cmm67(01-05-2013)

Thanks

It's not a warranty extension itself, but there is a warranty extension because of the problem. I actually called VWOA and they looked up my account and told me it should be covered and opened a claim for me. They didn't know why the dealership was saying otherwise. I paid for the diagnosis and picked up my car until they get the valve body in. VWOA is supposed to get back to me Monday after speaking to the dealership.
    Votex-Visions-Vagcom

Guru Member Wabbit has a brilliant futureWabbit has a brilliant future Wabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

My Rabbit is doing the same thing, has been for a while and I'm noticing that it's doing it a lot more often, mostly the neutral hang on the shift from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 3rd. I received the letter about mine and thinking about taking it in soon. Is there a time frame the job should be completed in? I cant give up my car for more than a day or two.

On second thought maybe I can get a loaner.
    Cars: -=2013 Golf R=-

Thanks

Yeah mine got perpetually worse too. They said it's about a 4 hour job
    Votex-Visions-Vagcom

Guru Member Wabbit has a brilliant futureWabbit has a brilliant future Wabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

aye ok cool I'll have to give them a call
    Cars: -=2013 Golf R=-

New Member prweiss65 is a jewel in the rough prweiss65's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh Great, this is a club I didn't want to belong to My 2007 Rabbit has started slipping/skipping when I accelerate from 1st to 2nd. It's happening more
    often now, started awhile back every once in a great while, usually when someone else other than me drove my car, but about a month ago, it started happening more regularly. Now, it's all the time. If I accelerate at a faster speed, it doesn't do it, or is just not as noticeable.

I called the VW dealer to see what they thought it might be. They took my VIN number, and came back and said the same thing, $1700/valve body. I have 120,000 miles, so it looks like I am SOL. I was surprised that they took the VIN number, now I know why.

I wonder if this is a known issue with this year's Rabbit, if Volkswagen of America would do anything to reduce the repair cost?

Other than this problem, in 6 years and 120,000 miles I have had ZERO issues with this car. It's a great car.

Senior Member Kevin Yang is just really nice Kevin Yang's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a 07 and had that problem as well.. I took it to an auto repair and changed the transmission fluid, the problem is gone......

Member rickr71 is just really nice rickr71's Avatar
    Thanks

I was going to replace my valve body when my 08 rabbit had an issue of hard down shifting from 4th to 3rd and 2nd . I changed the fluid instead and it seems to have fixed the problem.
    A transmission mechanic said its likely that micro particles that made it by the filter in the fluid would get stuck in solenoids of the valve body causing it to delay shifting. While flushing the old fluid out i noticed the magnets were coated with a layer of metal dust that im guessing is the stuff that had gotten by the filter that i had not changed in 160k miles. What ever the case may be flushing seemd to work.

Senior Member Kevin Yang is just really nice Kevin Yang's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickr71 View Post
    I was going to replace my valve body when my 08 rabbit had an issue of hard down shifting from 4th to 3rd and 2nd . I changed the fluid instead and it seems to have fixed the problem.
    A transmission mechanic said its likely that micro particles that made it by the filter in the fluid would get stuck in solenoids of the valve body causing it to delay shifting. While flushing the old fluid out i noticed the magnets were coated with a layer of metal dust that im guessing is the stuff that had gotten by the filter that i had not changed in 160k miles. What ever the case may be flushing seemd to work.

lol, good for us ^^

Thanks

Forgot to update! Vwoa contacted the dealer and worked it out. Apparently the dealer "mixed up" and thought I had a different car. Valve body was replaced free of charge and got my diagnosis fee refunded. Car is shifting fine now. Though sometimes when it's cold is doesn't want to shift at first...but that goes away
    Last edited by cmm67; 03-03-2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Votex-Visions-Vagcom

Guru Member
    Thanks

VW states lifetime fluid flill for the transmission which means 100k miles. In 2009 vw uses a different fluid and wants 50k change intervals. I've removed filters with 40k miles of fluid passing through and they were nearly clogged. The magnets always have fuzz on them....that's normal.
    Hidden Content
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

We're Geekin' DUSlider has a reputation beyond reputeDUSlider has a reputation beyond reputeDUSlider has a reputation beyond reputeDUSlider has a reputation beyond reputeDUSlider has a reputation beyond reputeDUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    VW states lifetime fluid flill for the transmission which means 100k miles. In 2009 vw uses a different fluid and wants 50k change intervals. I've removed filters with 40k miles of fluid passing through and they were nearly clogged. The magnets always have fuzz on them....that's normal.
    Was that on 09/newer or 08/older?
    UG 2008 4dr Auto, Sunroof, ESP, Votex Ground Effects Kit.

Mods: Stubby Antenna, Clear Sidemarkers, Euro Switch , OEM Projector Fog Lights, C2 93 Flash, BSH Intake, A3 Leather Shift Knob, GTI OEM HIDs, Tinted Euro R32 Tails, Eurojet Exhaust, H&R 24mm RSB, Jetta Wolfsburg FE swap, Eibach Sportline springs and Koni Str.T shocks, VW Euro OEM Leather Steering wheel, 17" VW OEM Anthracite Goals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast