EPC/Check Engine Warning and sluggish acceleration
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EPC/Check Engine Warning and sluggish acceleration

New Member rsgptcscs is just really nice rsgptcscs's Avatar
    Thanks

EPC/Check Engine Warning and sluggish acceleration

I have a 2010 Wolfsburg Edition and absolutely love this vehicle. Just recently, after the 30K maintenance...I started having this EPC warning/check engine light and very sluggish control with acceleration. When this happens, I have to pull over, shut the car off, wait, and restart. Had it looked at a couple weeks ago. Tons of error codes according to the service tech and he stated everything pointed to the ignition coils. He found that none of them were seated at the propper height, corrected it, test drove it and no problems. Went a couple days and it started again. I didn't think that was it because it just started out of the blue after 30K miles. The only pattern I have found is that it gets worse AFTER I fill the tank up (that just baffles me to no end). Thought, maybe something to do with the gas cap? I've gone a little OCD with that, tripple checked to make sure it clicks. I've tried the highest octane gas and from different gas stations. No luck. Why would this just start out of the blue after 30K miles? I read on another forum (mytiguan.com) that some other guy had is happening to him after only 36 miles, not even a week old. Software glitch?

It's just weird. I can drive it to work with no problem. Get in, start and its a 50-50 shot it will happen. Sometimes takes me 15 minutes for the car to finally start and run. Check engine light will stay on and maybe it will clear after my next stop and restarting the car. I might go 2 days without any occurance but then it might happen 3-4 times in one day. This is very frustrating. I still, despite all this, absolutely love this vehicle, best I've ever owned. For $33K...I excpect this to be fixed yesterday.

I will keep updating this. My next appointment with my VW dealer is Friday in the morning. Any suggestions or experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

- Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Guru Member damionmyst has much to be proud of damionmyst's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: EPC/Check Engine Warning and sluggish acceleration

sounds like my throttle body issue...on my 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta..have them check your throttle body..and do a throttle body alignment with Vag com just for the hell of it...it might correct it...if you feel like paying for it..have them clean your throttle body too..

2011 - CC Lux Limited - Black Magic Pearl..stock..and staying that way...UMADLOL

...stickers add 10hp..badges add 13hp

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Bring the car to the dealer and have them fix it. You have 5 years/ 60,000 miles on your power train warranty. No reason you should worry over something like this.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

New Member rsgptcscs is just really nice rsgptcscs's Avatar
    Thanks

Update: Houston, we found the problem! Took my car in at 8:30 am today and they called me by 1:00 with the answer. I'll just type what's on the repair order:

"35938 Chafed wire road tested, GFF, PO53F, PO651. Checked out ran all tests adn tested ok. Called hotline and recommended me to pull intake manifold. Removed engine cover and turbo boost pressure hose. Removed throttlebody and oil filter, removed manifold and inspected. Started unplugging connectors and moving harness to inspect for chafing. Finally found section where it wore through at oil cooler. Repaired section and returned engine to running operation. Reset settings and road tested after repairs."

So, it was a wire that was shorting out and not mysteriously an octane issue. I will update in a week or sooner if the symptoms return. Hopefully this is the end of this and I can return to enjoying the best car I've ever owned!

- Ryan

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rsgptcscs For This Useful Post:

JetManDrew (01-28-2013)

Guru Member damionmyst has much to be proud of damionmyst's Avatar
    Thanks

glad to hear you found something that might have fixed the issue

2011 - CC Lux Limited - Black Magic Pearl..stock..and staying that way...UMADLOL

...stickers add 10hp..badges add 13hp

8. The Following User Says Thank You to damionmyst For This Useful Post:

rsgptcscs (12-09-2011)

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting.... first time I've seen a harness rub there lol. Glad to hear you are back on the road.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

New Member JetManDrew is a jewel in the rough JetManDrew's Avatar
    Thanks

I have same simillar problems with my 2007 city jetta i was thinking it could be a spark plug or some ecu problems ... engine light flashes as I throttle and sluggish acceleration engine light sometiems goes away sometimes sits there. Im wondering if this is the same problem you occured //

New Member Sinky is a jewel in the rough Sinky's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: EPC/Check Engine Warning and sluggish acceleration

I just had my 30,000 service at a local garage (non VW). I drove it home and it ran fine. A couple of days later I took it out the garage and after around 30 seconds when I was closing the garage doors the engine started revving and when I jumped in the rev counter was sitting at 1500 RPM, the EPC warning and traction control lights were lit up on the dash and when I pressed the accelerator nowt happened.

I managed to switch the car off and noticed when I did restart it if I kept the revs above 1500 rpm it ran fine but I booked it back into the garage that afternoon.

When I got to the garage the mechanic jumped in and started the car and let it sit for 30 seconds and the same happened, it started revving at 1500 rpm and the two lights came up on the dash. He switched the car back off and popped the bonnet.

As soon as he lifted the bonnet he spotted the problem, are you ready for this?...

The apprentice mechanic hadn't replaced the oil filler cap on the top of the engine after topping it up with oil!

He replaced the cap, I jumped in and started it up and its running fine just like its been doing since the day I bought it!

New Member Skywarp is a jewel in the rough Skywarp's Avatar
    Thanks

The EPC/acceleration cut out is now happening on my 2009 Tig. Will tell you what the mechanic finds.

New Member Tigger 007 is a jewel in the rough Tigger 007's Avatar
    Thanks

Skywarp - if that is a diesel it could be the particulate filter. If it gets blocked it can affect acceleration.

Tig

New Member vwtampa is a jewel in the rough vwtampa's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a VW CC 2009 Turbo with 60,500 miles on it, left work the other evening and accelerated a little strong but nothing too hard, to get up to speed in traffic. Immediately the EPC light and check engine lights came on after letting off the gas. Noticed the car sputtering at slower speeds and especially when stopped. Took it to a local franchise repair center and the code was P0303, stated spark plug #3 and coil were bad. They charged around $50 to replace all four plugs, @ $80 for the new coil and $87 for labor. I am sure I could have completed this myself and saved the considerable mark up on the coil and the lesser markup on plugs, but I was just happy they were honest. At 45k miles, I had the intake manifold gasket replaced and the flapper motor, and had a carbon cleanout conducted (supposedly they manually scraped out the carbon in addition to the chemical cleanout). When I got my car back from the dealership, I noticed the oil was dirty even though they had changed it at the same time as the intake repairs. That made me believe they didn't conduct the cleanout properly. I wonder if some gunk somehow was blown into the spark plug cylinder when I accelerated hard. Is that even possible?

New Member Skywarp is a jewel in the rough Skywarp's Avatar
    Thanks

My car's not a diesel, just a regular 2009 Tiguan.

They mechanic did a computer reset, and that seemed to clear the issue for a time. But now it started happening again. Not sure what's going on, and it sounds a bit like the GM ignition/engine cutout issue in the news right now. Not only does this Tiguan issue seem to be common (from these posts at least), this is a dangerous safety hazard. Has there been no recall on this specific issue? Is VW aware?

New Member Tim Osburn is a jewel in the rough Tim Osburn's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought a used 2009 (55k, out of warranty) Tig SEL from an individual. He was the 2nd owner (it was a rental car originally, I believe). He had it while it was still under factory warranty and was having trouble with his EPC light coming on on going into "limp mode". He took it to a dealer and they claimed something about the wiring connector to the EPC was corroded or something and supposedly "fixed" it. Being under warranty, the job was put in their service database, so I have that documentation (as well as the repair receipt).
    The srvice rep, after running diagnostics, claimed it was a short in the EPC wiring harness, but after 3 hours, the tech couldn't run down the problem (!). Now they want to replace the wiring entirely, for $2400!! I am rather disappointed with this. Am I getting hosed by the dealer? Has anyone had silmilar, recurring EPC problems? Thanks!

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

get a second opinion.

it could be something as simple as a bad ground. find someone in your area with vagcom that can run an auto scan on the vehicle. that tool will give the proprietary faults that are stored in the system. perhaps the dealership is not wanting to share this info with you.

good luck.
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Monsters, Gorilla Skin + Legos & Steel Toes

+ Reply to Thread