Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
8K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  surein 
#1 ·
Hi,

So I finally replaced the heater blower (pain in the $&#) on my 83 convertible, changed oil, flushed the coolant, got it safetied and placed it back on the road where it belonged.

I drove it around for an hour and the oil light started flashing. It stopped after the engine cooled offed but came back again after about an hour of driving. The pressure gauge is at 5 bars constantly till the car warms up and then it goes down a bit.

Do I have to replace the oil pump?

Thank you

#2 ·
what kind of filter and weight of oil did you use.

A lot of flashing light issues can be caused by running 10w30, which is too light a vis.
If your gauge is pegging at 5, then you may have the wires on the sender bass ackwards.

If you aren't using a good filter see www.cabby-info.com ie: napagold, wix, genuinevw, mobil1, stp, pureolatorGOLD. Then you can have a flashing oil ligt at idle.

I would suggest that you have the pressure tested with a Mechanical Gauge.

#3 ·
AHA! yes crappy oil filter. Couldn't find a good one so I threw a defense filter in it.

The gauge was working fine when I got the car and I don't recall messing around with any wires..

Is it a single fuse that control the headlights and tail lights?

#4 ·
www.cabby-info.com

Look for the electrical section, then choose the 90 series fuse box.
Head lights and tail lights are on separate fuses.

I would bet your tail lights are missing a good ground.

#5 ·
*blush* I didn't connect the switch inside the dash properly after the heater blower fiasco.
But good point with the ground - I should look for all green wires and replace them.

Is it possible for me to just change the oil filter without draining the oil? The dipstick is heading to the bottom of the engine so I guess the reservoir is below the filter

#6 ·
Is it possible for me to just change the oil filter without draining the oil? The dipstick is heading to the bottom of the engine so I guess the reservoir is below the filter
Of course it is. ;) Just be sure to fill (but not to the top) the filter with new oil prior to installing. And re-check the oil level after running the engine for a bit.

The dipstick sits down in the oil pan, which is completely separate from the filter.

#9 ·
I read Cabby's Dynamic Oil Pressure write up and he says I should change the low pressure switch if the oil light is blinking at idle. Only problem is that he didn't mention where this is located. The high pressure is in the filter flange but where the low pressure switch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.