Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
8K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  BIGGREEK 
#1 ·
I have a 1993 Volkswagen Golf III and its driving sluggish. My gas mileage is extremely bad, I am using about a tank of gas each weak for a 30 mile round trip commute 4-6 days each week.
I have done some common things like changing the
· sparkplugs
· oil change
· air filter
· cap & rotor ( wires still look good)
· fuel filter (replaced by my mechanic)
The current issue is that when I press on the gas there is just no power. Seems to catch, stick, or hesitate periodically at 30-40 and 60 mph.
My mechanic suggested I have the transmission looked at. I did just that and the transmission shop stated that the transmission was running well. They indicated that this is a performance issue; suggesting timing, fuel injectors, exhaust, or catalytic converter. Any additional suggestions to help me isolate this issue will be greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
_______

The idle is steady. When I rev the engine it comes back down fast. But never stops running. There were a few times where it seemed like it was going to die. I had the same experience with my passage when the timing was too far in advance. I plan to replace the plug wires because at least two of the plugs came out really dark. Thier just not cheap here.

#3 ·
At night use a spray bottle with water, spray the wires down..anything glowing replace wires. I wish u could log timing advance and throttle body angle. Have they checked for codes? The cel bulb burns easily and could be on for something, front oxygen sensor could cause all ur issues, but a plugged cat could as well. Report back I have the same car, I know it well.

#5 ·
It's actually funny you say that, it can never hurt to do that imo...if its super super super bad it can cause an issue...I'm not sure if he'd have such a sluggish issue tho. I know my managers trailblazer hates a dirty tbody...apparently on that truck it'll get horrible mileage and then at idle it'd surge, made driving in traffic stupid hard.

#7 ·
have you tried testing them like DonJaun suggested? there's a way to do it in the day time by running the length of the spark plug wire with your bare finger tips while the car is idling. if it is the wire, there is a good chance it will shock the **** out of you, but, you'll have located the problem. if not, just wait until night and have the engine idle while moving some of the wires around with a screwdriver. at night you'll be able to see/hear any arcs that may come from the wires...

#8 ·
I haven't yet but I plan to check all tonight. I think I will start witht he O2 sensor. I bought the car from a repo dealer and the car was on the lot for months (now I know why). Did not think it would be a difficult fix and am still hopeful that it will not. Not sure what the mileage was on it because the car has 2 odometers one showing 172k... and the othe 263k... I assume 263k is acurate. My mechanic stated the fuel filter was never changed. so it is likely there are a few other things that were never changed on the car.

#12 ·
Well if it is a plugged cat it would eventually stop running because of the backed up exhaust gasses.

The plug wires may LOOK ok but you can have high resistance in the wires. Measure them with an ohmmeter, a good rule of thumb is 5-10k ohms per foot. I would get a new set anyway.

The O2 senor would cause the problem all over the rpm range. Not just specific rpms. But it wont hurt to change it.

Check ALL of your grounds and clean them up, this will help a bit.

The only thing im thinking of is a timing issue, if you dont have a timing light, have your local shop do a quick timing check and adjustment.

Also throw some lucas fuel system cleaner in the tank...great stuff, helps alot.

Sent from my bum using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.