Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
188K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  V-dub luv 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

Just bought a 2006 Jetta 2.5 and I don't have the manual, what type of oil do I need?? I read that I can use 5w40 or 5w30. Is this true??

#4 ·
also, one quart will normally run you anywhere from 7 to 9 bucks. if you check around, you can usually find a promo to get it for around 5 to 6 bucks a quart.

if you need to ask anymore questions regarding this, please do so, because putting the wrong oil into these engines will essentially kill them. it will read as "vw approved" on the back label, like this:

welcome to the VWOC...

#7 ·
So, it needs to be 6 quarts of 5w-40 full synthetic? but you mean that by displaying "VW 502.00" it means that is approved by the VW ??? am i correct??
^^ like that... VW 502.00 is what we are supposed to put in our engines. if it reads "VW 502.00, 505.00" this is ok as well...

5w-40 is slightly heavier (higher viscosity) than 5w30...

#13 ·
normally the dealers would put 5w-40, but i've switched to 0w-40 because it starts easier but i find it burns oil a bit more.
Yes it definitely does! If you use 0-40 full syn. You will have to check your engine level at least once a week depending on how hard you push the engine. This 2.5 be engine is one of the best, reliable engines vw ever made. You can feel what your engine wants on how you drive. I beat on my motor so I change the weight every winter and summer b/c of the temperature. Best way I can can explain it is, you can feel it once you press your gas pedal & listen to see how smooth or sound it makes. I can't find the right words but you can feel it! If your engine is knockin, go with the lighter weight b/c there might be build up. Once the knocking goes away, switch back to 5w-40 if you do not want to constantly check your oil level!(you'll also smell it really good when you're burning oil) fyi! I'm not a mechanic but I did own 4 VW Jettas. all different years & I have to say! They all need TLC!

#9 ·
its 5w30.....5w40 is used in the diesels.

and NEVER switch to a thinner oil (e.g. 5w30 to 0w40), it will eat the insides up because the motor is used to a heaver oil. I found out the hard way. Switched from dealership oil to 0w40 and it burns about 2-3 qts per oil change (7500-10000 miles).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.