VW CC Forum: Speedometer accuracy·Volkswagen CC Owners Club|VWOC
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer accuracy

New Member nocusr is a jewel in the rough nocusr's Avatar
    Thanks

Speedometer accuracy

I have a 2012 CC Lux Plus that came equipped with 235-35-19 wheels. The dealer replaced them with 235-45-17 at my request, which I realize are not alternate sizes for the Plus, but they are for the Sport. Without going into specific details, this was a good will gesture by my dealer; the car having been back to them 5 times for radio/navi issues and wheel alignment problems (was a demo, driven by the general manager). Also, the 35 series tires are a poor choice for the pot hole laden NJ highways. The car rides fine, with minimal change in handling, but I noticed my speedometer reads 3 mph higher than actual speed as compared to the speed indicated on my portable gps. Reading numerous websites, the gps speed is supposed to be accurate. Compensating for the new tires, which are only .2" smaller in diameter (.63" difference circumference) the speed difference should be only .6 - .7 mph, using the calculator on the Palo Alto Speedometer Inc. website http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm . I've also read that the 3 mph difference is actually a "standard". Does anyone know if the speedometer can be adjusted, even if it has to be a dealer adjustment? VW is very reluctant to give out any technical details when I've asked them in the past. You wouldn't believe what I had to go through to get a fuse panel layout!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Member JohnFlovin is a glorious beacon of light JohnFlovin's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Speedometer accuracy

Nocusr,

I've also found my speedometer to be off by about 3 to 4mph at 70mph. We have the factory 18s and our's is on the low side so at posted 70mph we are really doing 66 to 67mph. I find it frustrating to have a gauge / instrument that is not accurate. Please let us know if you find an answer to the re-calibration issue.

John

Guru Member damionmyst has much to be proud of damionmyst's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have a 2011 Lux Limited and experience the same issue please keep us posted

2011 - CC Lux Limited - Black Magic Pearl..stock..and staying that way...UMADLOL

...stickers add 10hp..badges add 13hp

Junior Member reswan01 is a jewel in the rough reswan01's Avatar
    Thanks

Same issue with my 2012 Lux Plus. Factory 18s. Pass a roadside radar every morning that flashes red when you go over thirty. Radar is reading thirty and speedometer is reading 33 or 34 consistently.
    2012 VW CC Lux Plus Black Ext. - Cornsilk / Black Int.
    I'll dig the f***ing hole. I don't give a f**k. What is it, the first hole I dug? Where are the shovels?

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

My 07 rabbit was off the same amount you guys describe. My '12 jetta is DEAD accurate at all speeds up to 100. Haven't gone faster than that to prove. My speedo lines up EXACTLY with GPS and roadside radar.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

New Member CgrBkr is a jewel in the rough CgrBkr's Avatar
    Thanks

I have 2010 Lux and it shows 2-3 miles faster than actual. I noticed it when I started using a GPS. The GPS actual speed is lower.

Member cfong is a jewel in the rough cfong's Avatar
    Thanks

Same here. 2011 Lux Plus, set cruise at 70, speedo says 70, GPS says 66. I don't mind speedo being a little high, but your odometer and speedo are connected. If the speedo is reading to high, chances are it's because the car thinks it has travelled farther in a given time period than it really did (or of course VW cannot make an accurate internal clock, which is unlikely).

This means your odometer's reading is falsefully high. You lose your car's value faster. Your warrenty runs out faster too.

We need to make a fuss to VW. Honda had similar issue. They had to give several thousands of miles extra on warranty.

Thanks

It's not entirely uncommon for speedo to read a little high. This is because every meter has a tolerance. Because of the liability issue, the OEMs don't want the speedo to read too low. Otherwise they could be responsible for speeding tickets or even accidents. So they put all the error on the high side, the tolerance of the meter is something like -0/+x. That's why speedo often reads high.

But 4MPH is too much.

New Member 4milestogo is a jewel in the rough 4milestogo's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a 2012 CC R-Line with factory 18's with the same 3-4mph speedo difference and the dealer says there is nothing that can be done to correct this, has anyone had this condition resolved?

This is our first VW after dirving Honda's for 25 years and we love the car but this speedo calibration issue is annoying.

Thanks
    I think we should all call Volkswagen of America and complain and maybe they will extend our warranty some because this I causing our odometers to read in accurately

2011 - CC Lux Limited - Black Magic Pearl..stock..and staying that way...UMADLOL

New Member 4milestogo is a jewel in the rough 4milestogo's Avatar
    Thanks

I just registered a complaint with VW USA and I'm currently waiting on a reply.

I wish everyone with is problem would do the same and maybe they will address the issue.

Guru Member redrabbit07 has a brilliant future redrabbit07 has a brilliant future redrabbit07's Avatar
    Statesville, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks
    O.o

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk
    Disregard Females, Acquire Currency
    keeping a group of VWs at 65-70mph on a trip to Florida is like trying to get your girlfriend to have a 3-some with a stripper.

Thanks
    I called VOA Today and they told me they allow for. 4% difference and it can be influenced by a number of things like wheel size friction and temp..still sound like BS to me but anyways they said the odometer isbt affected by the speedo being off because the odometer gets its info from Wheel RPMs...but so does the speedometer so wtf VW!

So Sofistikated DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr's Avatar
    Thanks
    No the vss is on the trans not the wheel.
    CTS Turbo | GOAPR | .doTuning | INA | IE

Thanks
    Do you think it cod cause the odometer to read falsely?

Guru Member BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    No the vss is on the trans not the wheel.
    Yea on the old cars. They get a vss signal from each individual wheel, but mainly the two front wheels. But still if it was off of the trans and its reading wrong....its still reading wrong. And different size tires will affect the vss.

Sent from my bum using Tapatalk
    I LIKE TO PUT RIDICULOUSLY BIG PICTURES IN MY SIG.

blast my nuts
    08 Golf ; 03 F350; 86 K5 Blazer
    00 TDI Jetta ; 10 Charger; 87 Toyota Pickup
    87 Golf; 89 4Runner; 94 Kawi Vulcan

So Sofistikated DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea ur right about that, however some cars still have that, just changed one on a hyundai. Different sized ties affect the vss whether or not you got the reading from the trans or the wheels...
    CTS Turbo | GOAPR | .doTuning | INA | IE

Thanks

It's pretty easy to confirm whether or not the odometer is affected. If you have a portable GPS, reset the GPS tripometer before you head out on a trip. Reset car's tripometer too. At the end of the trip, compare two numbers. If they are different, that's solid evidence that the odometer is affected. GPS is very accurate. Even 5% difference warrants a challenge to VW (5% of 36,000 miles is 180 miles).

VW may argue that one GPS has random error, but if we can each make a test and present the difference with different GPS, that'll be enough to convince a judge in federal court.

If you wonder where the GPS tripometer is, for Garmin brand, from the map page, hit the area where it shows your speed at lower left corner, you'll go to that screen wherein speed, tripometer are shown.

Guru Member BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yea ur right about that, however some cars still have that, just changed one on a hyundai. Different sized ties affect the vss whether or not you got the reading from the trans or the wheels...
    Well Hyundai is still stuck in 1998....and that is what I said.

Sent from my bum using Tapatalk
    I LIKE TO PUT RIDICULOUSLY BIG PICTURES IN MY SIG.

blast my nuts
    08 Golf ; 03 F350; 86 K5 Blazer
    00 TDI Jetta ; 10 Charger; 87 Toyota Pickup
    87 Golf; 89 4Runner; 94 Kawi Vulcan

We're Geekin' DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider's Avatar
    Thanks

Will have to try this on my Geek Mobile as the speedo is off.

5% of 36000 is 1800...
    UG 2008 4dr Auto, Sunroof, ESP, Votex Ground Effects Kit.

Mods: Stubby Antenna, Clear Sidemarkers, Euro Switch , OEM Projector Fog Lights, C2 93 Flash, BSH Intake, A3 Leather Shift Knob, GTI OEM HIDs, Tinted Euro R32 Tails, Eurojet Exhaust, H&R 24mm RSB, Jetta Wolfsburg FE swap, Eibach Sportline springs and Koni Str.T shocks, VW Euro OEM Leather Steering wheel, 17" VW OEM Anthracite Goals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast