Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
8K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  VenomInside 
#1 ·
Last night I raced a Mustang (brand new I believe) and I lost by one car. We rolled from 45mph. I wasn't planing to race, but he pulled up to me and I could sense that they wanted a race. Before I knew it, he blew by me without any sort of "Go". I downshifted into 4th and blew by him at some 70mph. This time he got on my side, flashed his lights and we were off. I had him one full car before he caught up to me and went by. I was on 50k rpm in 4th gear and he was maybe a car and a half ahead of me. I shifted into 5th and I caught up...but he already won. I gave him thumbs up, but he was some sort of jackass and couldn't even return anything back. But, my point was that his Mustang was screaming loud, and he had to punch it to get passed me...meanwhile I was in 4th gear. :D:

I don't know what speed the Rabbit is governed at, but I think I hit the governor (limiter) at some 120mph.

#4 ·
lmfao....go test drive a Mustang GT....even better...try an 03/04 Cobra, or the current GT500

V8 Mustangs are "fast" as hell.....and the supercharged ones are literally scary....no comparison to the stock sixer....or a Rabbit

my 2000 GT with a KenneBell is mild compared to many....puts out 350 hp at the wheels...damn near triple the Rabbit (but inline with the facotry 03/04 Cobra output)....and at 1200 rpms, the rwtq is over 300 ft lbs.....I've spun the tires going from 4th into 5th....let alone 1st through 3rd (and we're talking 275/40/17s I'm spinning)......with the 4:10 gear in the ass...you'd swear the speedo climbs as fast as the tach.....it's a low-to-mid 12" car...and my Stang is tame

honestly.....I've got buddies hitting 800hp on the street

please refrain from the "Rabbit vs Mustang" comparison.....unless you're racing in the rain or snow

#5 ·
for what it's worth.....take a look at some serious horsepower

this is the 07 GT500 with a relatively simple supercharger swap....they swapped the stocker for the new 2.8l KenneBell....yeah....it's a 2.8l blower.....810hp....a direct bolt on....stock fuel system with only a Boost-A-Pump added

here's one on the dyno...the sound alone is enough to make you **** yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDvvAglQV_k&mode=related&search=

here's one stretching it's legs a bit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fq3rLcejys

#7 ·
lmfao....whatever, I don't expect much acceptance of a Mustang on a Rabbit board....no love for the blower whine and monster HP in the vids I guess

nothing new...there's too many Mustang guys that bleed Ford blue on Stang boards that can't comprehend why I would buy a Rabbit for a daily driver

but let's not get dillusional about the "fun to drive" category....strap 400-500hp to your ass and it's seriously fun

#14 ·
EXACTLY the 2 are uncomparable..... Fords are trash.... don`t know where you get great out of ford????... anyone can put big HP between 4 wheels and put some stripes on it! :p lucky for the mustangs they are the same shape (retro) as in the good ole days! so now old farts are buying mustangs yay... because b4 this new shape... they were JUNK... although who am I.... I just brought a RABBIT and old name back from the past...... I still hate FORD

#16 ·
well....considering I'm 40....I guess I'm an old fart then

with regard to the "junk" comment.........hell....my 7 year old Stang still has the factory wipers, and factory battery in the key fob....something I can't say about my 6 month old Rabbit

I've owned 5 Fords over the last 24 years...and all have been extremely reliable and well built....I hope I can say the same about the VW over the next while.

I woulda kept my pie-hole shut....but someone decided to cheerlead a little too loud and suggest that the little Rabbit might contend with a Mustang in a race....and that's just plain dreaming. I know cause I have both.

here's the "junk"

#15 ·
I have owned 3 Fords in the past, and they run good, but they don't go past 70,000 miles without having some major problems. Of course these were ford cars and not trucks. I took care of them well though.

#19 · (Edited)
ElmerFudd, that is HOT!!! I grew up in a Ford truck, the first car I remeber is a Mustang. My sister was lucky enough to have a boyfriend in highschool who (on rare occations) drove a Mach 1. I hear people trashing Ford all the time, but they have build some quality cars. A friend of mine just bought Mustang GT (06, I think), and that is one beast of a car. That being said, 300hp (or more, if you go to the Shelby) on a straight axil might be fun, but I sincerely hope the road is straight. Oh, and just yesterday I saw the Ford GT outside my work, *drool*.

Comparing the Mustang to the Rabbit isn't really fair. Once you consider which wheels are doing the driving the debate is pretty much over. The Rabbit/GTI would perform better in the corners (relatively speaking), but good luck throwing the backend out. In a straight line, RWD + HP = no contest. Now, the R32.... that would be a more interesting comparison.

Oh, and if we had the Euro version of the Focus hatch (built off the Mazda 3 platform), the Rabbit would be very closely matched by the Focus. And the Focus SVT, forgetaboutit.

#21 ·
well said!!!

yeah....stock susp, verus stock susp.....I find the Rabbit higher quality and better performing to a certain extent

you have to mod the hell out of the Stang susp. to turn it into a performer....I've done that to mine....cost serious bucks....but what a difference

totally agree that it's an unfair comparison between the two cars.....that's what got me all excited...lol

#27 ·
Hey, I got my arse handed to me last night by a 1997 Stang. I was doing 80mph, and he went to pass, so I floored it. Should have shifted down into 4th (my bad). Anyways, I caught up to him when he was doing 110mph...yes that means I found the dang rev limiter to catch up. Kept a "safe" distance behind for a couple miles :drive: then backed off. No sense ruining the summer in traction.

Complaint #1: I should have got better wheels, than the stock steelies!

Praise: Loved the one touch windows @ 100mph. It's nice to keep your hands on the wheel at that point.

#35 ·
i had a 2000 mustang gt saleen charged and i didnt like it becuase even with pirrelli tires, i was all over the place. OK it was fast but it deff was stiff in surning, horrible blind spot off hoodscoops and windshied corners IMO maybe i was too short for the car lol well yea i like the rabbit alot, its a very affordable car that is very stable in handling. I have an 08 and its fast enough for the price. Mustang GTs and corbras shouldn be even thought about in a rabbit descusion. two totally different cars and prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.