VW Rabbit Forum " AC-Alternator Brackets" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AC-Alternator Brackets

Senior Member Skip R is just really nice Skip R's Avatar
    Thanks

AC-Alternator Brackets

Kind of stumped on this one; I guess before I go looking for the brackets that mount the AC pump and altenator on the engine I guess I need to know more about the bracket or brackets. This is the brackets that are on a 1983 rabbit pickup 1.6 L diesel engine. It is the round AC pump that is below and under the injector pump with the altenator on top comeing out up close to the right side of the radiator. I under stand that this setup came over from Germany when the pickup was orderd with AC, what I heard. This is the way my neighbors 83 diesel pickup is set up. I had intentions of taking the 1.6 L diesel engine with the AC pump alternator out of my 86 Jetta and putting the whole thing in my 81 1.7 L rabbit pickup but the Jetta AC, Alternator brackets are different and causes the alternator to extend out to far. Any idea of the part number or numbers I need and any ideas where to look for these brackets. I would assume they my have the same setup on convertable or gti but just a guess. Any help out there more than welcome. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: AC-Alternator Brackets

Well the Cabriolet of the 85 should be the same bracket as your jetta.
    If you don't have a/c, then you need a Alternator pulley that is shorter.

The non-a/c equipped cars came with a longer pulley.

There are plenty of the shorter ones out there.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
    Well the Cabriolet of the 85 should be the same bracket as your jetta.
    If you don't have a/c, then you need a Alternator pulley that is shorter.

The non-a/c equipped cars came with a longer pulley.

There are plenty of the shorter ones out there.
    Briano; thanks for the quick reply: The brackets Iguess am looking for is the same brackets that are on the 83 rabbit diesel pickup that has the round AC pump under the alternator. Those brackets get things setting back closer to the injector pump which gives the Alternator a place to fit in just back behind the radiatorl. thanks

Thanks

I need to get back to this and ask the question that I should have asked in the first place and that is > Will the 1.6 L diesel engine out of my 1986 VW Jetta with the round AC pump on the bottom and the alternator on top fit into my 81 VW rabbit pickup?< The 81 rabbit pickup now has a 1.7L gas engine with the alternator below the AC pistion pump.

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

That I don't know. The York pump was common to Westy's and Cabriolets with dealer add-on a/c. I am not sure if it will fit.

You can go to the ETKA to verify that.

New Member LakeErieSurfer is a jewel in the rough LakeErieSurfer's Avatar
    Thanks

I too am stumped. I have an 81 Diesel w/ a 1.6 that has a/c. Sadly when I built this one, out of the two I had in 1990 in Florida, I chose not to vacuum and fill the a/c since I was moving north. Worse off 'I' didn't disconnect the power to the a/c pump. On my drive north the a/c was turned on and the pump froze up. Stuck in Tifton, Ga with no tools we were at the mercy of some guys whom I'm sure were great mechanics on American cars. : ) On the bright side it worked until I got to Ohio. I held on to the car due to the Father/Son time put into it. Forward 19 years and the price of fuel ...I want to run the old Rabbit.
    The a/c pump that I just pulled out has 'Japan' stamped on it. I'm not sure that is what should be in there ...as it was installed with carriage bolts of different sizes. While the a/c pump pulley turns just fine the holes on the pump that mount it to the bracket are reamed out and one is broken off.
    One older gentleman that I spoke with said that the a/c was an after thought on the rabbits and the a/c pumps are known to give issues with all the rattling of the diesel motor. ????
    My question: With no a/c can I run the alternator from the same bracket as long as I have the long pulley for my alternator or is the bracket that mounts the a/c & alternator totally different than the one that mounts the alternator alone?
    I greatly appreciate any wisdom/feedback from the diesel pros here.
    Last edited by LakeErieSurfer; 07-06-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks

Yes you can mod it.
    The a/c compressors are Sanden or Sankyo.
    They are made or were made in Japan.

Vw Diesels sold in the US with Factory Air came with those two style of rotary pump.
    The engines/Transmissions for the diesel were totally assembled in Germany and shipped to the Westmoreland Pa plant to be assembled in to the "Westy" Rabbit as a unit. The A/C was installed in Germany, and the hoses were attached at Westmoreland, vacuum pulled and charged.

Now I know this as I ordered my 81 in 80, and that was what I was told.

What I found out later is that the Westy Gasser used the York piston pump, and that if a person wanted a diesel off the lot, that didn't have factory air, that a Westy retrofit kit was installed at the dealer. I have also heard that if a person ordered a a/c diesel, but there weren't any a/c equipped engines, then the York was retrofitted at the assembly plant.

Now you can delete the a/c off your car. It is relatively easy.
    Here is the link.
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-AC-compressor

Thanks

The 1986 1.6L Diesel now hanging off my engine hoist with the rotory AC pump down below the Altenator should or should fit as is into my 1981 Rabbit Pickup. Friend of mine said if a all possible to stay away from the York piston pumps because they take so much HP to run them.

Thanks

Your fried is about half right. I am looking in to using the small little compressor that Honda and or Nissan uses, they hardly cause a fluctuation when they kick in or out that I seem to notice. If I was going to do a serp belt swap I would bet my ass I would figure out a way to mount one.

I do know that if you vacuum the system down that you can check for small leaks with no gas or leak check present. You can see it on the gauges. Since I wrote the how I converted my ac to 134a, I have now acquired a vacuum pump and after having to change 2 compressors and a drier on a different cabby it has paid for itself. I do get a better cooling out of the system after the car has run a bit. It actually froze me out driving to work where I had to cut it back one day. This is about a year after I installed a new drier in it....I never really used it till last week.

+ Reply to Thread