Tiguan problems - Rear differential, rear fuel injector, fuel clamp = fuel spill
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiguan problems - Rear differential, rear fuel injector, fuel clamp = fuel spill

New Member choochie is a jewel in the rough choochie's Avatar
    Thanks

Tiguan problems - Rear differential, rear fuel injector, fuel clamp = fuel spill

I have a 2009 Tiguan and am wondering if anyone else has had these specific problems.

Day two of ownership, gas cap/gasket/clamp not fully tightened and lead to a full tank of gas spilling. The dealership came down and fixed loose clamp then checked vehicle over once more.

Year Two of ownership. Tiguan would not accelerate over 60kms/hour. Rear fuel injector and bushings were replaced.

Year Three of ownership. In the past three weeks, the car has been into the dealer twice. First time, car would not shut off, even when key was removed. That was a relay issue.

Here's the repair that troubles me the most. Dealer said this was very uncommon and we had to wait almost a week for the "1 of 2 parts in North America" to arrive. The rear differential needed to be replaced. The car runs excellent once again

Has anyone else had their rear differential go on their Tiguan?
    What about a gas clamp not properly installed and losing a full tank of gas?
    rear fuel injector?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Guru Member NZTIGUAN has much to be proud of NZTIGUAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Tiguan problems - Rear differential, rear fuel injector, fuel clamp = fuel spill

To be honest, I've owned my Tiguan just over 3 years, been on 4 World Wide forums all that time, and the only fault of heard of before specifically is the "not turning off" relay issue. Assume you're in NA so a petrol engined one, have heard of some injector "issues" with some diesels in some areas but that was put down to local diesel in the end I believe plus I don't think Tiguan's were the issue, think it was Golf diesels. As far as the fuel tank clamp goes I guess that could happen on any car, annoying but perfectly fixable. Relay issue, once again modern cars with massive amounts of electronics you can expect a failure or two over time. The Haldex diff issue certainly isn't one I've heard of either but I guess there are a huge number of them out there and failures will happen from time to time. Sounds to me as if you've just been a bit unlucky as the Tiguan has one of the best reliability records of any VW.

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    New Zealand
    www.alexandra.co.nz
    On my second Tiguan, 2013, TDi, Night Blue, Park Assist 2, RCD510, Bluetooth, auto wipers and lights, fogs, tow pack.

Member adrenaline is a glorious beacon of light adrenaline's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Tiguan problems - Rear differential, rear fuel injector, fuel clamp = fuel spill

I could speak only for the Differential,

last winter I've had the whole diff unit replace including the haldex Gen IV on waranty . I investigate the problem through the 4 world wide forum, and this wasn't a common issue for any VW and Audi!

The Dealer and the tech rep didn't really believe me until I had to tell them that it was getting noisy in the back seat area and I had to spin the car on snow to make the Tig turn (quite a challenge to drive on snow in mountain region).
    Anyway it took over 4 month ... 5 visits to the dealer including 2 visits with the tech and 2 brand new haldex and 1 differential (Second repair was the whole assy) to make them understand and admit! Has they said they never saw this problem before!

So to my knowledge you are the second case very similar to mine! The dealer told me at the end when they took the old differential there was some metal chip in the oil! it was a matter of days perhaps week ... before this diff unit seized !

Beside this story, no other problem. I love this Tiguan and the 4motion is something special in my point of view! (When working properly!) ;-)

New Member Johnmccaig is a jewel in the rough Johnmccaig's Avatar
    Thanks

The diff in my 09 tig seized up, locking the rear wheels at 70 mpg on a major freeway, I got it off the road, the tow truck dragged it onto the back of the truck..
    Local dealer fixed it, same tune though,, no one had ever heard of this problem
    Could this have caused the pre-mature wear of the rear brakes (90%)' (50% front) @ 38,000 miles,, 30 of which was why?
    Vw says this is perfectly normal......

Thanks

Glad to know you didn't have any lost of control when the rear diff seized! Seem like this rear diff problem is not general, some other Tiguan didn't show up any problem since "in my case the 2009" like I said in canada up to my knowledge there is 3 case of rear diff problem (very minor qty in my point of view!) 2 tiguan and 1 A3 Audi.

For the brake it's totally normal, my response from the tech to this question is that the Tiguan (and perhaps all VW) do start to brake by the rear wheel so they are solicitated more often then the front which work only in the extrem end of duty. Apparently this is to avoid nose dipping down and loosing the grip on the rear end and to sink the back end earlier than the front! (Answer from the service tech!)

New Member Lgaspar is a jewel in the rough Lgaspar's Avatar
    Thanks

Same problem with my 2009 Tig with 60 000 km, the 60 000 km service as been made around 58 500 km in a VW service and repair, like all other services.

In a recent 1200 km trip with the family, the Tig started to make occasional metallic noises in the rear seat area, mostly in small rises on the highway at 110-120 km/h.

The noise started to get louder and more frequent, aggravated whenever we stooped to rest, started to make a "scratching metal" noise around 30 km/h until 90 km/h, then stopped. I thought it was haldex failure, since it had just been serviced (oil and filter change) at VW, and the noise only happened on climbing and accelerations (when the haldex disks lock to give traction to rear wells) around 800 km the noise became very loud and and more frequent, that's when I decided to stop and send the car to the same VW auto shop that made the 60 000 km service a week before.

No warning lights ever, the handling and the motor were fine, I brought the car brand new, and it was been driven "granny style".

The car is currently in the VW auto-shop, it's been a week and after a series of tests and VW expert opinions they say it's the differential. Warranty in Portugal is 2-year long, the car is 3 years-old, the price of the part alone is around 3000 €. I'm expecting some reduction on the price, since this part is supposed to last at least the double, I think. Tomorrow Iīm getting a call from VW on the final price and delivery time.

Could it be defective part? Service failure? Is a differential a part subjected to "bad luck"? - I don't know. This is my 5th VW, I have had problems, but nothing like this.

I'll post the news, cheers.

Thanks

Lgaspar, what you're are describing is exactly what i went through, since my experience i've encounter a couple of other similar rear differential owner and even one Audi A3. You could sure deduct it's a VW defective rear differential in fact it's a knowed problem for the year 2009 apparently! I was told it's a batch of rear differential ...! And they all break down in the early stage of there life depending on the use of your Tiguan (City or highway driving, country "trail" road) I was mainly on highway!

I suggest you fight for this know VW defect. Also it happen all over the world (USA, CANADA, EUROPE,...)
    Good luck.

New Member jcoyne48 is a jewel in the rough jcoyne48's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't had any problems with the Differential or the rear fuel injectors but in the less than 3 years i have owned my 2009 Tiguan i have blown 2 fuel injectors (numbers 3 & 4) and replaced the intake manifold due to pressure leak.
    I also own a VW Rabbit and haven't had any problems with it since i bought it with the exception of the normal routing maintenance. Makes me kinda wonder if the Tiguan is a lemon.

New Member Southerncomfort is a jewel in the rough Southerncomfort's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Johnmccaig - I had the same thing happen to me last weekend in BC, Canada. Rear wheels seized up on my 2009 Tiguan just outside of Keremeos - luckily after we had just driven through a mountain pass. Purchased the certified vehicle only two months ago, it had less than 60,000 kms on it.

Got it off the road and the tow truck dragged it on to the back of the truck. According to the dealer - it was a "freak accident", and not something associated with the model. Having read this forum, I am starting to think otherwise....

Thanks

I found out (after a while!) there was a batch a defective differential case assy which were letting the oil flow between the gear and the haldex. That is a comment from the dealer mecanic that i got a conversation after few visit ... You understand, when you're knowed somewhere there is usualy a leak of information coming out!

And it's not all rear differential in the "batch" who is breaking in time! That is why VW doesn't see or do any recall. Another comment from the dealer ...!!! Since then I've met only one guy in my area who had the same story and it was an Audi A3.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text