Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
84K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  Crazy Harry 
#1 ·
I own a 2010 cc sport in Reflex Silver. I love this car from the vary moment I took it out of the lot. Not a single issue until it hit 14035 miles on the odometer. The car just died. You could turn it on but would not go past 4000rpm and it would die on you for no reason. The car had to be towed to the dealer. Three weeks the dealer worked on the car with no clue on the problem. They replaced the ECU, crankshaft sensor, steering column and finally steering column lock. They call me telling me the car was as in new condition. The car was delivered and it felt like new for just 9 miles when it dies again on me. The car had to be towed back again to the dealer. I almost had an accident this time when it happened.

Have anyone experienced this situation. If this time it is not fixed right I will go after Lemon Law in Puerto Rico. The car is a great ride but when safety is compromised...:(

#2 ·
Tell them to check the fuel pump module located ontop of the fuel pump and under hte rear seat.

#28 ·
Possible solutions for my 2010 VW CC shutting off while I drive...slow down or stop.

I took it to a VW dealer and they initially got codes and replaced the HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP, but the car shut off again the next day. I took back and for 7 days they continued to test and finally managed to recreate the problem and found that there was malfunction with the fuel pump module. They initially could not get any codes, but they finally diagnosed it as: FUEL PUMP MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION, FUEL PUMP ELECTRICAL SHORT. Since they had already replaced the high pressure fuel pump...they finally got a code for LOW PRESSURE FUEL PUMP MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION. They replaced it and I got my car back last Thursday 08.23.2013. I am still nervous every time I stop or slow down, but so far its riding like a champion and I feel normal again. I will put an update in 15 - 30 days.
This module is the most common failure for this complaint.

#5 ·
When you say "die," do you mean stall and not restart? Or do you mean loss of power but still running?

#8 ·
I purchased a 2012 VW CC and had the vehicle in and out of the 2 different VW service departments at least 4 times in 4 months due to stalling/dying. I was able to lemon law the vehicle in Florida. However, the VW CC loaner stalled on me, and so has the new 2012 CC! I have been told that basically this just isnt the car for me by the dealership because of my driving style. Complete BS! All # cars have died on me going at speeds of 15mph through school zones and at 80mph on the interstate.

Sharp looking car, amazing to drive...very unreliable and a HUGE safety issue!

#14 ·
No check engine light. The car does not stutter much. its usually when I slow down, maybe apply breaks to slow and attempt to accelerate. Power just goes and and the gear locks. It feels like when you run out of gas. the battery light does come on, but its not the battery of alternator.

#18 ·
leOn

The battery light does come on when this happens. I told them, but they think that its because all lights come on when the car stops...but I am curious about it...so I will bring it up on Monday. There must be a reason why the red battery light comes on.

#19 ·
if the battery light comes on a second or so before, then i'd say it's definitely a power issue. my battery is currently needing replacing because it is the original one that came with my 2009 rabbit. i think about a month ago, the battery light came on for a few seconds and then turned off. i got it tested and i was told that it needed replacing. the guy at advance auto was wondering how it was even starting my engine. so recently it's been working ok, but i can really tell that the cranking power is substantially weaker. even so, it continues to work, but i have witnessed some unexpected behaviors lately. one example being that the tire pressure monitor warning sometimes starts blinking after i've been driving for over ten minutes. then it will go steady lit. this usually only happens when i turn on the engine for about ten seconds (because i have no tpms sensors in my aftermarket wheels). today, i looked down after leaving the house and the tpms sensor warning was off, and it stayed off for a good five minutes. the only light on the cluster was that for my DRLs. so that was sort of a weird thing to not see the warning light, being that i've seen it consistently for the past few months.

aside from those two or three instances, the vehicle runs and behaves as it should. but it leads me to believe that my vehicles power system is being "reset" while the engine is still running; which can't be good for all obvious reasons. i can't logically understand it to be anything other than short power black-outs due to the failing battery situation. i want to wait until the 22nd for the new credit card billing period to purchase a new one :)

it takes only 5 minutes for them to properly test your battery with a battery tester. but honestly, if it's over three years old, just choose to replace it, because you're going to have to change it very soon anyway.

good luck...

#23 ·
Possible solutions for my 2010 VW CC shutting off while I drive...slow down or stop.

I took it to a VW dealer and they initially got codes and replaced the HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP, but the car shut off again the next day. I took back and for 7 days they continued to test and finally managed to recreate the problem and found that there was malfunction with the fuel pump module. They initially could not get any codes, but they finally diagnosed it as: FUEL PUMP MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION, FUEL PUMP ELECTRICAL SHORT. Since they had already replaced the high pressure fuel pump...they finally got a code for LOW PRESSURE FUEL PUMP MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION. They replaced it and I got my car back last Thursday 08.23.2013. I am still nervous every time I stop or slow down, but so far its riding like a champion and I feel normal again. I will put an update in 15 - 30 days.

#25 ·
I am at my wits end..please help. I am having the exact problem with my 2009 CC with 66,000 miles. Car has been perfect since i've had it now its stalling out and stopping in traffic. I took it in and since the engine light went out the next day they could not get codes. It seems so far to happen mostly in the afternoons late when it's really hot (AZ heat, 107), but not sure that's related. I took it in and they said that my battery was only putting out 10 volts, so I got a new battery and installed it hoping it would fix it, but no. It's still stalling out and any speed and at any rpm. I am hoping that someone can give advice or what was done to repair theirs. What is ECU? I see you all mentioning it. Thanks

#26 ·
azvwcc
Please check out my message below. I had almost the same issue and they could not get the codes. They kept my car for a total of 10 days. The first time they "fixed it" it shut off on me the next day. Took it back...spent 7 days over there and somehow they were able to recreate the problem and finally "got the codes". I strongly believe its the same issue you're having. However, replacing High or Low pressure fuel pump is not cheap. it was about $679 just for the Low pressure fuel pump. Nevertheless i strongly suggest that they look at this possible solution. So far...my car is driving normally...and I am at peace. I dont know if dealers like to talk, but I can get you in contact with my VW dealer's Service Dept and see if they'll consult with yours

Re: 2010 CC Stall Problem

#27 ·
My wife drives a 2010 cc. It is doing the exact same thing, dying randomly. We took it to a shop and these are the codes they found. Fuel pump mechanical malfunction P3043 intermittent. Fuel rail/ system pressure too low P0087 intermittent. Fuel pump short circuit P3044 intermittent. He suggested the fuel pump module be replaced so i have one on order. Im hoping its not the fuel pump itself. Thanks for the great info!

#30 ·
Matoveber_

I feel your pain. I was frustrated as you are. I assume you are dealing with VW or an authorized VW mechanic. As you can see if you follow my initial comments on this thread, VW experts could not find anything for 3 days. They had no codes absolutely nothing. They finally fixed the HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP...cost me a pretty penny $759...only for the car to die the next day. For almost 7 days they could not get a thing. Lucky for me they gave me a loaner car in the meantime. I had to call VolksWagen US HQ to help them get to this conclusion. ONly after this were they able to diagnose it as: FUEL PUMP MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION, FUEL PUMP ELECTRICAL SHORT. Since they had already replaced the high pressure fuel pump...they finally got a code for LOW PRESSURE FUEL PUMP MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION..

Ever since receiving my car on 08.23.2013. I have not had any issues. I am convinced that both fuel pumps needed to be changed to eliminate this issue. I dont drive nervous anymore. I know it takes away your peace. I think electrical issues as mentioned above interfered with proper coding. I still have my car and things are very good.

I know it might be a challenge to get mechanics to listen to anyone, but if you get any resistance you can make them aware of this thread. If you think it will help, you can try to get your VC mechanic to contact my VW Mechanic (dealership). I have the Service's supervisor contact info. I went to VW USA website got customer service and did a typical product issue complaint and they contacted my mechanic and helped them diagnose it right.

I hope this helps and that you'll be back on the road stress and nervous free on your CC

#31 ·

Hey, thanks for the response. I have been working with a VW dealership andafter I paid for a high pressure fuel pump (~$800 and no help) they replacedthe low pressure fuel pump and still the same problem. Finally, the dealershipstated that there was a THIRD fuel pump (I do not know if I believe this) and thefuel sensor needed to be replaced. After that was done about 2 weeks ago, thecar is working properly and no issues so far. I put the car through its pacesdriving at high speed, low speed, in traffic, very hot conditions and there hasbeen no problem. It looks like the issue may be solved. I will let you know ifthe problem comes back.

This is just my thought but I believe that this was a sensor problem theentire time and the fuel pumps were replaced because the codes said they werethe problem but they were not the issue. It is a sad day when mechanics listento computers instead of their customer and the car's symptoms. I have a feelingI paid ~$1,200, 8 weeks of time and all I needed was a sensor. But the problemis fixed and I am as happy as I can be.

Thanks for the help and anyone else with this problem, make sure they lookat the sensors!!!

#32 ·
i HAVE READ THE SAME POST OVER AND OVER WITH VERY LITTLE VARIATION. iT APPEARS THAT VW TECHNICIANS ARE A LITTLE QUICK TO THROW A PART AT A CODE. FUEL PUMPS CAN DEFINITLEY BE BENCH CHECKED. tHEN COME BACK THE NEXT FAILURE AND TELL YOU NOW ITS YOUR RAIL OR YOUR LOW PRESSURE PUMP. MY 2009 CC BEHAVED THE SAME WAY WITH A MYRIAD OF CODES. THE TECHNICIAN WANTED ME TO BELIEVE THAT MY ENTIRE FUEL SYSTEM PUMPS TO INJECTORS FAILED ALL AT THE SAME MOMENT. I SPENT 45 MINUTES READING DISCUSSION FORUMS AND IMMEDIATLEY ORDERED A FUEL CONTROL MODULE. (LESS THAN 100 BUCKS) NO ISSUES SINCE. FROM WHAT I READ THE MODULE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS FAILURE OVER 65% OF THE TIME. TAKE YOUR TIME AND READ THE FORUMS.

#34 ·
Quan_

I got my car back on August 2013. I have not had any relapses with the issue. I believe the electrical malfunction kept them from getting the proper codes or any codes. Unfortunately, the cost was high, but after the repairs mentioned in my previous posts, I drive with peace. Good luck, I hope this helps.

-Fanya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.