vr6 Timing Chain
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vr6 Timing Chain

Junior Member J. Curtis Sims is a jewel in the rough J. Curtis Sims's Avatar
    Thanks

vr6 Timing Chain

I'm in desparate need of some advise. I took my 2001 vr6 in to the dealership because there is a rattle coming from the engine. I figured, since I've just turned over 100,000 miles, that it's probabley the timing chain. The dealer confirmed my suspision. Now the inspector for the extended warrenty company wants them to tear down the engine to see if there is sludge, or if the timing chain is stretched (it would then be concidered wear and tear = not covered by warrenty). I'm certain they will find no sludge, as I religiously change my oil every 5,000 miles with Castrol synthetic. However, what are the chances the chain is stretched, as opposed to the tensioners being worn? I'm not really sure why the distinction, since my warrenty book just says "timing chain", and doen't elaborate. I've heard of worn tensioners, but never a stretched chain. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: vr6 Timing Chain

If your CEL is on and you have a camshaft allocation fault, the chains are stretched. If it's just noisy, the guides are broken.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nitroscope8 For This Useful Post:

J. Curtis Sims (03-30-2011)

Thanks

I'm really embarassed to ask, but what is a CEL? If there was a camshaft allocation fault, would it affect the way it runs?

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Check engine light. If the timing is only out a little, no. Otherwise you will notice reduced performance.

This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nitroscope8 For This Useful Post:

J. Curtis Sims (03-30-2011)

Thanks

I've got no check engine light, it runs great, but rattles. So is it pretty safe to say the guides are shot?

Thanks

Also, I forgot to mention that when the dealership scanned it they didn't get any codes concerning the timing.

I'm broke
    Thanks

Once you rip it open, do everything. Upper and lower chains, guides, tensioners, and seals. Even the coolant flange seals and thermostat.

If you ONLY hear the rattle at about 2000-3000 rpmish and it goes away above that and below that rpm, then it's probably the intake flap making noise. If it happens all the time and at idle, then it's the chains.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Thanks

Looks like it's the chains, because I can hear the rattle at idle. Especially when I'm parked in the garage, and the sound is bouncing off the walls.

Thanks

Here's an update of what's going on with the '01 GTI. It was the timing chains. The dealership is replacing everything: both chains, all tensioners, all guides, coolant flange seals, thermostat, and water pump. And the really great thing is, the extended warranty company is picking up the tab for all of it. We're paying extra to go ahead and have the rear seal, oil cooler (it's leaking), coolant pipe, and a leaky radiator hose replaced. The dealer said we might as well since there are already into the motor. I'm really impressed with the warranty company. They even provided a rental car for 7 days. However, the dealership is still waiting to get the oil cooler, so they can finish the job. Looks like I won't be getting it back in time for the weekend. That's okay. I'd rather this kind of job not be rushed. The timing was perfect too, as my extended warranty expires on April 14th.

Quite.
    djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, that's awesome that your warranty is covering all of that stuff.
    4 wheels:
    14 Fiesta ST / 93 525i
    2 wheels:
    03 CBR954RR / 05 Buell Blast

I'm broke
    Thanks

wow indeed. Not bad! Just think that there are people who complain about their cars being fixed for free and complain about being in a rental for a few days!

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Quite.
    djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001 has a reputation beyond repute djwhiplash2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Some warranty companies are just awful.... Tom had a woman with a Beetle that had a water pump failure, bearings went, it cooked the engine. They covered the water pump. Not the rest. $312 for water pump replacement... $300 deductible.
    4 wheels:
    14 Fiesta ST / 93 525i
    2 wheels:
    03 CBR954RR / 05 Buell Blast

Thanks

Finally got my car back. They also replaced the ABS pump (can you believe the warranty company also paid for that). However, they had to re-order the pump because the wrong one was sent. When they took it for a test drive, the technician noticed a noise coming from the front passenger side. Bad axel. They replaced it, and, once agian, it was paid for under warranty. On the day the warranty expired no less. Man, I can't believe it. I'll never "bad mouth" extended warranty companies again. However, I really believe the dealership (Ancira Volkswagen in San Antonio) really had a lot to do with it. Their Service Department is wonderful. The Service Writer, Ariel Hernandez, and the Service Manager, David Miner, are outstanding. They kept me informed as to what was happening every step of the way. I was without my car for almost a month, but I can't blame them. They really took care of me.

+ Reply to Thread