VW GOLF GTI· TSI catastrophic engine failure·GTI OWNERS CLUB FORUM
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TSI catastrophic engine failure

Junior Member Mr. dB is a jewel in the rough Mr. dB's Avatar
    Thanks

TSI catastrophic engine failure

The engine in my 2010 GTI, with 8000 miles on the clock, failed Thursday. I was driving to work, pulled up next to another car at a stoplight, and heard a "clack clack clack clack" noise and thought it was the other car. Then the light changed and the noise stayed with me. And in the half-mile from there to work, it seemed to be getting worse.

The noise seemed to be coming from the front end of the engine, it was kind of like a playing card in bicycle spokes kind of sound -- it went up in frequency with revs. There was no error code, and the car didn't seem to be missing or be down on power. I didn't see or feel any metallic particles on the dipstick. But it sounded dreadful, like a rod knock, turned bearing, or dropped valve kind of noise.

I had VW Roadside Assistance flat-bed the car from my place of work to the dealership, and they gave me a loaner car. Dropped the car off at 5:00 PM Thursday so no one has looked at it yet. The bad news is that the loaner car is a 2011 Nissan Altima, a white 4-door with a CVT. I hate it. It may say "Nissan" on the badge but it drives like a Buick. But at least I'm not stranded.

Anyone wish to speculate what has failed? What would make that kind of death-racket without throwing an engine code?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: TSI catastrophic engine failure

To follow up, I called the dealer Friday and they said they pulled the oil pan and it was "full of parts". They've ordered a new long block for my car! Apparently the regional VW service rep will be coming to inspect things.

BTW I haven't been beating on the car, I don't think I've even ever slapped the rev limiter.

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

^^ yuck...

hope they get you back on the road quickly.

good luck...
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Monsters, Gorilla Skin + Legos & Steel Toes

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, so you got a dud! Not typical AT all for any VW engine. They will pull codes and check readiness and such so if you are honest about this and you didn't overrev, they will confirm this. Takes two days to arrive all parts and another two days for installation.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

Thanks

Over on the GTI MkVI Forum, one tech replied that there was a small batch of TSI engines with bad main bearings in early 2010 (my car was assembled in March 2010). And another tech said they had a GTI come into the shop with a turned bearing a day after mine broke.

I'm kind of surprised it didn't throw an engine code, wouldn't the change in oil pressure set off an alarm?

So Sofistikated DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr's Avatar
    Thanks

Why would you think oil pressure would drop?
    CTS Turbo | GOAPR | .doTuning | INA | IE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    Why would you think oil pressure would drop?
    Well, I said "change" not drop...

Assuming there are enough broken bits in there to make the service manager say "the oilpan was full of parts" (his words not mine), wouldn't something of that magnitude either plug or open an oil galley somewhere?

On the other hand, the car was still running on 4 cylinders last time I started it. Tow truck driver was curious to hear what it was doing so I started it for him, and he immediately shouted "SHUT THAT OFF!" when he heard it.

Just out of curiosity, how badly can an engine be mangled and (1) still run well, and (B) not throw a code?

So Sofistikated DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. dB View Post

Just out of curiosity, how badly can an engine be mangled and (1) still run well, and (B) not throw a code?
    Im gunna assume you had a main bearing go and that caused other to go since you had extra metal in the oil.

Could also be a rod bearing too.

That would cause a clack clack clack and not change much for the short amount you drove. When they say your oil pan was full of parts it can be open to interpretation. In my mind i immediately think of a full piston laying in there but as a joke, i know its probably bearings and maybe part of a ring or two.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    Im gunna assume you had a main bearing go and that caused other to go since you had extra metal in the oil.

Could also be a rod bearing too.

That would cause a clack clack clack and not change much for the short amount you drove. When they say your oil pan was full of parts it can be open to interpretation. In my mind i immediately think of a full piston laying in there but as a joke, i know its probably bearings and maybe part of a ring or two.
    I thought that "full of parts" was an odd choice of words, but that's what the Service Manager said to me on the phone. I would hope that in actuality it was a bit of indeterminate debris. Surely bits of piston ring or bits of main bearing or big-end bearing would be recognizable as such, and would have allowed him to say more about the possible cause of my failure. I suspect he was being deliberately evasive, perhaps under instruction from the VW factory rep not to say anything specific. The word "parts" gives me the mental image of whole objects like a piston or an oil pump...

Thanks

The word "parts" gives me the mental image of whole objects like a piston or an oil pump...
    I had the same image in my mind, knowing it cant really be that though. Kinda funny. Hey at least theyre fixing it without any lip.

Thanks

Anyway, speculation is fun, but I'll let you guys know as soon as I learn any real details.

BTW, what would a wrist pin failure sound like?

Thanks

BTW, what would a wrist pin failure sound like?
    About the same but i think its way louder as there would be more slop in the rotating assembly.

Thanks

I dropped in on the shop today, I was curious to see the oil pan full of debris. But they had already bolted the car back together and stuck it outside waiting for the new engine to arrive. It's coming from New Jersey.

Anyway, contrary to what I was told before about the regional rep coming to supervise, it now seems that no one is the least bit concerned about cause, they just wanna fix it and turf it. There will be no tear-down of the broken engine.

Service Manager said you can't even see the crank when you pull the oil pan, there's a shield or something in the way.

So we're not likely to know anything more about this. They're replacing everything that had sump oil in it - long block, turbo, oil lines to the turbo...

I wonder if this will fix the "noise at 2500 rpm" issue?

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

So I had to speak too soon. Got a 2010 CC in today with the same complaint. Odd low end knocking noise. Gonna have to call VW on this one. Sounds like a rod knock but only under accel. Anyway, ill let you guys know what I find.

Yeah, the TSI engine has to have the trans off it to remove the SECOND oil pan to access the crank.

This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    So I had to speak too soon. Got a 2010 CC in today with the same complaint. Odd low end knocking noise. Gonna have to call VW on this one. Sounds like a rod knock but only under accel. Anyway, ill let you guys know what I find.

Yeah, the TSI engine has to have the trans off it to remove the SECOND oil pan to access the crank.
    Mine would knock at idle too.

Please keep us informed when you know anything about your customer's CC.

Thanks

Which is why doing forged rods in the tsi costs like 2k...its ridiculous the design these germans made

Thanks

Wow, so you got a dud! Not typical AT all for any VW engine. They will pull codes and check readiness and such so if you are honest about this and you didn't overrev, they will confirm this. Takes two days to arrive all parts and another two days for installation.
    Am I assured of getting a newly-manufactured engine, or does VW use remanufactured ones for warranty work?

I'm broke
    Thanks

All warranty parts are new or reman. If it has an x at the end of the part number its reman. The engine is reman but its so new you can't tell. Hell last engine i did i had to thread the cam cover because vw never did....how's that for reman lol.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

I'm broke
    Thanks

We disconnected each ignition coil and found #4 coil when disconnected would cause the noise to stop. I removed theDSG trans and removed both oil pans. Found the last main bearing cap bolt broken off in the block. If we cannot extract the bolt then we wil replace the engine more than likely.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

^^ that's a cool method.

but how in the world did that happen?
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Monsters, Gorilla Skin + Legos & Steel Toes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast