Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
37K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Jasonsmeall 
#1 ·
I just bought my new 2011 Tiguan 2.0 TSI 170 hp (gasoline), automatic. Have driven it about 500 km so far and noticed a few things as follows:

1. Engine is noisy and feels like it is diesel. Also, there is a constant high pitch "whistling" noise coming from engine area. The noise can be heard even from inside the cabin.

2. Automatic gear downshifting from D2 to D1 makes a clicking noise.

3. Seatbelt chime works only when the ignition is switched on and does not sound when seatbelts are unfastened even while driving.

4. When the central locking button on the driver side is pressed, it locks all doors. However it unlocks all the doors automatically when any of the doors is opened no matter the car is stationary or moving.

5. Everytime while switching the ignition off. It displays: "Check SAFE Locking! Owner's Manual!"

Can anyone please tell me if these things are normal or are there any problems? Thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes it's 200 hp. When driving in D mode, the digital screen shows automatic gear shifting from D1 to D7 as you drive (mine is 7-speed automatic). When brakes are applied, the gear downshifting from D2 to D1 makes a clicking noise. The dealer told that this clicking noise is normal because the transmission has DSG (dual clutch system) which is automatic but behaves like a manual transmission due to tiptronic function. According the dealer the whistling sound is of turbo. All Tiguan turbo engines have this sound. Have just got a youtube link about the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HWS2YmsGjo

#8 ·
Same engine noise issue here. I picked up my brand new Tiguan comfortline 2012 just 2 weeks ago, and have already heard a few times of this high pitch whistle noise coming from the engine bay. It usually happened when the engine was warm and the car had been driven for a while. It also has happened a few times when the brake was applied. *So I took video and showed it to the dealer on Monday. They told me that they did not have time to check my car at the moment because they were in a rush of winter tires changing for other clients. I got an appointment for the next week and will be posting an update after taking it to the dealer. I absolutely will suggest them to take a look on this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.